Your Favorite Quotes..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Bluelight Crew
The last quotes thread can be found HERE.

I'll start off with 2 of my favs (probably in the last thread but oh well;))

"Every walk to the woods is a religious rite, every bath in the stream is a saving ordinance. Communion service is at all hours, and the bread and wine are from the heart and marrow of Mother Earth. To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter...to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird’s nest or a wildflower in spring—these are some of the rewards of the simple life. The most precious things of life are near at hand, without money and without price. Each of you has the whole wealth of the universe at your very door. All that I ever had, and still have, may be yours by stretching forth your hand and taking it. "

John Burroughs

"As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness."
Henry David Thoreau

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" ~ Oscar Wilde

Problems don't just go away, they take time and strength; the courage to fend off your insecurities and take at fear in a fighting stance. - me

"He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how" - Viktor Frankl

“Followers of obsolete unthinkable trades doodling in Etruscan, addicts of drugs not yet synthesized, pushers of souped-up Harmine, junk reduced to pure habit offering precarious vegetable serenity, liquids to induce Latah, cut antiobiotics, Tithonian longevity serum; black marketers of World War III, pitchmen selling remedies for radiation sickness, investigators of infractions denounced by bland paranoid chess players, servers of fragmentary warrants charging unspeakable mutilations of the spirit taken down in hebephrenic shorthand, bureaucrats of spectral departments, officials of unconstituted police states; a Lesbian dwarf who has perfected operation Bang-utot, the lung erection that strangles a sleeping enemy; sellers of orgone tanks and relaxing machines, brokers of exquisite dreams and memories tested on the sensitized cells of junk sickness and bartered for raw materials of the will; doctors skilled in treatment of diseases dormant in the black dust of ruined cities, gathering virulence in the white blood of eyeless worms feeling slowly to the surface and the human hosts, maladies of the ocean floor and the stratosphere, maladies of the laboratory and atomic war, excisors of telepathic sensitivity, osteopaths of the spirit.

A place where the unknown past and the emergent future meet in a vibrating soundless hum. Larval entities waiting for a live one.”

William Burroughs
------------------------------

"Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices."

Epitaph to a Dog - Lord Byron
--------------------------------------

"Cigarettes don't get bought by themselves"

Me

Wow! Burroughs has a breathtakingly beautiful way of articulating feeling and thought.

"Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices."

Epitaph to a Dog - Lord Byron

I <3 this quote. :)

Sanskrit Quotes : Category :: Company of Good Men

जाड्यं धियो हरति सिञ्चति वाचि सत्यं

मानोन्नतिं दिशति पापमपाकरोति।

चेत: प्रसादयति दिक्षु तनोति कीर्तिं

सत्संगति: कथय किं न करोति पुंसाम्।।

English Translation of Sanskrit Quote:

It removes the lethargy of the intellect, sprinkles (invests) truth in the speech, enhances the greatness and casts off sin,it clarifies the mind and spreads the fame all around;tell me what the company of the high-souled persons does not provide the man?

Last edited:
These quotes are usually part of my sig line on forums. Maybe you guy's will like em too?

Terrance McKenna said:
Nature is the great, visible engine of creativity against which all other creative efforts are measured.

Friedrich Nietzsche said:
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Albert Einstein said:
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed

The last quotes thread can be found HERE.

I'll start off with 2 of my favs (probably in the last thread but oh well;))

Thank you Ocean for starting a new thread; glad to see I started something positive, because I love reading & writing quotes and to see people enjoy doing the same is pretty cool.

Anyway, got some new quotes (and yes I've actually read every single one in the archived thread and these are new).

***To continue my old tradition with the old thread I want to do 3 quotes minimum every time I post in this thread***

A new favorite...
"In the dualism of death and life there is a harmony. We know that the life of a soul, which is finite in its expression and infinite in its principle, must go through the portals of death in its journey to realize the infinite. It is death which is monistic, it has no life in it. But life is dualistic; it has an appearance as well as truth; and death is that appearance, that Maya, which is an inseparable companion to life." ~ Sir Rabindranath Tagore

"I have learned by some experience, by many examples, and by the writings of countless others before me, also occupied in the search, that certain environments, certain modes of life, certain rules of conduct are more conducive to inner and outer harmony than others." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

"Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony." ~ Thomas Merton

And this one I came up with myself the other day...

"There's an easy cure for those treating you like shit -- ask them to switch shoes for a day. If they say "No." to your offer they've not only proven they're an ass, but how much of a coward they are as well (2 birds -- 1 stone)." ~moi

-dp

P.S. - I was thinking maybe we could do a theme each week (for example 'harmony' as mine above are all related too). Quotes wouldn't have to be related to the weekly theme but more-so encouraged.

Let me know what you guys think.

34zkdux.gif
"Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death." - Anaïs Nin
34zkdux.gif

"I have learned by some experience, by many examples, and by the writings of countless others before me, also occupied in the search, that certain environments, certain modes of life, certain rules of conduct are more conducive to inner and outer harmony than others." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

"There's an easy cure for those treating you like shit -- ask them to switch shoes for a day. If they say "No." to your offer they've not only proven they're an ass, but how much of a coward they are as well (2 birds -- 1 stone)." ~moi

-dp

P.S. - I was thinking maybe we could do a theme each week (for example 'harmony' as mine above are all related too). Quotes wouldn't have to be related to the weekly theme but more-so encouraged.

Let me know what you guys think.

:)

Good Idea DP, power of three-the magic number, nd all that!;)...and thanks so much for starting this off because I know many people(including myself) have mentioned to me, how much they love the fact it's on TDS. You have brought much freedom to those on TDS to express themselves, through the merit of wisdom they have gathered from meaningful words, in their life so far. <3

Also big kudos to Ocean <3;)

Man looks in the abyss -
There’s nothing staring back at him,
At that moment, Man finds his character
And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.

~ Lou speaking to Bud in ‘Wallstreet’

Last edited:
The Epitaph to a Dog brings tears to my eyes.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted
to a profoundly sick society" ~Krishnamurti

Wow! Burroughs has a breathtakingly beautiful way of articulating feeling and thought.

I <3 this quote. :)

Sanskrit Quotes : Category :: Company of Good Men

English Translation of Sanskrit Quote:

It removes the lethargy of the intellect, sprinkles (invests) truth in the speech, enhances the greatness and casts off sin,it clarifies the mind and spreads the fame all around;tell me what the company of the high-souled persons does not provide the man?

at last, reaching A point of understanding; i saw my mind in the frame of all around. now, i am acclimating/developing/thriving ~to&from~ with my balance, since i came to know these Truths as the clarity of my life, which i had diverted myself from -- with questions of lies; yet i practiced this daily as far back as i can remember.

this has left me in a place of understanding, the greatest realization of my entity came in a day; valentines-day. a day of the dawning of the most pure, where i truly accepted nothing, and from there came this something, which is the essence of everything and anything; these words caused a flood in me Asclepius, and ebbing, to reveal unmasked truths.

all that needs acknowledging, in my experience.

^ So glad you got something out of it PIP, as did I! :)<3

I am going to be taking a Sanskrit class but not just because of the illusive, cryptic 'label' that goes with it but because alot of the translation's hold a specific meaning in its own language; that is specific to that language. I'd like to learn the meaning closer to the heart/soul of the language, as to hopefully get closer to the meaning- if that makes sense! lol (ya, I'm one of those deep, meaningful, intense eejits too! lol) We all know the same stuff but being able to articulate it, with meaning, is so beautifully empowering...and It's free - puts money/stereotypical wealth to shame! ;)

Just that, am working with people who i'm teaching literacy to at the moment and it has been so poignant for me because these people know what they need(which is enough) but lack the social status quo requirments(which happens to be an accuired necessity), which is so easy(for me, as I guess most of us) to take forgranted. Am so humbled by them, get embarrassed when they thank me, because they have nothing to thank me for-am just passin on what was given to me for free! It's such an honour to be in a place/position where I can pass stuff on and be thanked for it and that it can enhance their quality of life/confidence somewhat...Im so lucky. :D

34zkdux.gif
"Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death." - Anaïs Nin
34zkdux.gif

Awesome quote, SOoO~ Always find 'Fail' and 'Win' so limiting and a bit too prevalent ATM...although they are only attempting to describe basic human dilemmas, they dont encompass/understand the full experience/truths that is life! :)

The Epitaph to a Dog brings tears to my eyes.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted
to a profoundly sick society" ~Krishnamurti

Totally true! :D

Your Avatar is Savage! B-Ba-Ba Bird is the word! lol ;)

Last edited:
I can't remember who or what I got this one from:

It's a lot quieter on the way down than on the journey up. No one wants you around when you've got nothing left. I wanted out so bad, but I couldn't just walk away with nothing.

"So glad you got something out of it PIP, as did I!"
_ Asclepius

i know im capable of learning other languages, so i am going to try and start with having a fluidity reading and writing 'Early Modern English'. then, to struggle in honor of Sophia, ;) and challenge my intellect, Early "Ancient" Greek; i feel the need to understand, and thus to not overlook the wisdom experienced with such thoughts, and words. silent thoughts and words that echoed, and echo as our universe.

"... recede into the future
far off from man kind,
till time is old
"

- of the Hymm Of Praise.

leaves me left to ask myself;
where can knowledge and creative language not take you?

and so, forth-ward thy crash in-ward;
to where the light of thou lands held-fast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Edit:
tell me what the company of the high-souled persons does not provide the man?

what individuals of high-soul do not intend is ignorance of ones-self, nor that of others; as always, ;) there is a line here as-well i believe.
ignorance is perceived and bares a reciprocating action of further confusion & diversion.
one of the actions reflected as belief, is that: one with the Truth, is one of the Truth. speaking of answers, with more knowledge then wisdom; is an old dangerous diversion of a ' sought- High(er) Soul ', with the intention of this as their reflection...
i see the branching path of content growth, to thin-and fade when such things are attempted to be organized by anyone with even the most pure of intentions. -- individual experience, realization, acceptance, wisdom, knowledge, and the final peace to come is ones own. a 100% unique, thus a 100% pure and honest experience -- which is what each of us have every moment.

one can not tell a seed which way to grow.

Last edited:
The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we … kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok … But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.

Bill Hicks

Status
Not open for further replies.