• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Xanax XR +Method of action?

sc23

Bluelighter
I can't find it with the search function to save my life....but basically I want to know how the "xr" in these pills work, I couldn't even find anything with google...

I guess more importantly, can the xr be broken? I cut one in half today and it seems like the powder/middle was unlike any other XR i have taken;

adderall, concerta, ritalin sr and oxy/MS contins...

it could of been the lighting, but it (the middle of the pill) almost looked shimery like fishscale cocaine.

I am looking for more of pharmacutical website info than personal experience's, but both are welcome....

as far as i know, it cant be broken. just take double the amount you normally would and stay high all day long.

That's what I've read too, but I got no proof! With other pharms like Concerta you could read about how they work so you could figure out how to beat the time release. Same thing with OC etc. With this pill I got nothing - couldn't find a thing.

So frustrating.

^^are they the roche XR's (blue round pill with an x on it 2mg, yellow triangle with an x on it 1mg)??

If they are, dont crush them, break them into a few small pieces with your teeh and just swallow them. The high is almost as strong as the IR bars, but lasts 50% longer. That is the only way I will take XR benzos.

If they are the ones I am thinking of, the alprazolam will be in with poly-styrene binders to perform the time release. Breaking them up gives more surface area for the med to be absorped from, but still somewhat allows the time release to work, extending the high

Last edited:
Roche doesn't own the xanax patent, your thinking of klonopin and valium....

however with that said, i have the new generic made by Greenstone labs, a subsidary of phizer, who owns the regular xanax and xanax xr names.....

anyone else think this is amazingly messed up that drug companies can now produce a generic of a brand name and sell it too,

i have the 1mg square yellow ones, and they are exactly like those generics OC's made by purdues subsidary....i cant think of the company but its exactly the same as a namebrand OC 80, but has 80 and two differnt letter on the other side....i forget

my Yellow ones look exactly the same as the name brand, but have a differnt imprint on 1 side, the G.

"alprazolam will be in with poly-styrene binders to perform the time release"

Do you have a source for this? I read it somewhere else on the boards, but no source....

edit:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6726798.html

Interesting, because that goes along perfectly with the studys I read on Xanax XR that said eating a high fat meal effected people up to 30% more, however it was interesting because half of the people had a positive effect, and half had a negative effect, this goes along with what i have read other BL say about them personally taking them with a highfat meal....

Anywho, if that is the case, would grinding them up and letting them sit in like olive oil for a few days, then put that into capsules make it IR?

I dont know chemistry at all and suck at spelling, I still dont understand why I can't find how the XR works via google....maybe i just suck at the google.

Last edited:
^^w/ very little searching i found this, not that it helps:

http://www.xanaxxr.com/taking/howdaily.asp

"With XANAX XR, one dose gives you all day relief. When you swallow the pill, it does not melt right away. Instead, a soft gel coating forms around it. The gel coating helps the pill last longer in your body. This allows the medicine to be released more slowly, giving you all day relief."

i would agree w/ burn out. double the dose and youre fine. but like with most benzos, you will probably end up eating all of what you got. friday during the day i took 6mg xr and later that night took a normal bar (2mg) ir and i dont remember anything with alcohol combined too. its fun trying to piece the night back together sometimes. its like filling in pieces of a puzzle of your life. i dont take benzos a whole lot when im going out drinking for that reason though. fun every once in awhile or when youre just chillin.

egor said:
dont crush them, break them into a few small pieces with your teeh and just swallow them. The high is almost as strong as the IR bars, but lasts 50% longer. That is the only way I will take XR benzos.
Why not crush them? Would that not give even more surface area?

I think if he were to suck the coating off of them the time-release mechanism would be completely removed. I don't think they use a wax matrix like Oxycontin.

GenericMind said:
I think if he were to suck the coating off of them the time-release mechanism would be completely removed. I don't think they use a wax matrix like Oxycontin.
It's even more difficult to defeat than the wax matrix. Crushing doesn't completely defeat the time-release.

BollWeevil said:
It's even more difficult to defeat than the wax matrix. ...

Do you have a source for this? Why the hell does no one really know how this time release works? First time BL has let me down....

BollWeevil said:
Why not crush them? Would that not give even more surface area?

It lasts longer than the powder and still is faster and stronger than swallowing them whole. It still extends the duration nicely (20-30% )

Also, it tastes so bad. I love the taste of the bars, but these are god-awful.

^Gotcha ;)

sc23 said:
Do you have a source for this? Why the hell does no one really know how this time release works? First time BL has let me down....
This has been discussed before, one of the old threads might link you to a source. The exact mode of action, I don't remember. I just remember there is some kind of "exchange" going on, and it is a very difficult time release to defeat.

Edit- I agree, Google is a pain in the ass to use to find out anything about this.

Last edited:
BollWeevil said:
^Gotcha ;)

This has been discussed before, one of the old threads might link you to a source. The exact mode of action, I don't remember. I just remember there is some kind of "exchange" going on, and it is a very difficult time release to defeat.

Edit- I agree, Google is a pain in the ass to use to find out anything about this.

Eh, so far, i have gathered its either an Ion-exchange, or a wax matrix, either is pretty interesting,

however I don't understand how the drug companies can put this drug out there without telling people how it works, I guess I can understand there reasoning (so people dont break the XR), but still...

I keep bumping the thread in hopes that maybe one of these nights someone will catch it that knows how the drug actually works.

Luckily i have found a very good psych doc. so it really doesnt matter, I dont like geting really messed up on benzos anymore, i'd rather take them to come down from harder substances, and also for my anxiety.

people have mentioned crushing them and allowing them to sit in a low pH environment for several hours (to simulate stomach acid), but I know nothing of how well that works.
Try that maybe?

I feel this is similar enough that I don't need to post a new thread on it.
I've obtained some Concerta XR capsules, basically when you get the outer shell off, the pill looks to be made of 3 different powders. Can this be crushed and then railed? Or am I better off just eating more than 1 of them?

drklnk said:
I've obtained some Concerta XR capsules, basically when you get the outer shell off, the pill looks to be made of 3 different powders. Can this be crushed and then railed? Or am I better off just eating more than 1 of them?

Im pretty sure it can be railed.

In fact, I am sure of it.

Alright, I found an abstract with a good explanation of ion-exchange resin systems.

Abstract
Ion-exchange resin-drug complexes have been used to formulate sustained-release products of acidic and basic drugs. However, sustained release may be difficult to achieve due to many variables. A novel technique is reported that minimizes these variables by providing a polymeric film coating to the ion-exchange resin-drug complex particles, making drug release from these particles diffusion controlled. Direct application of an atomized polymer solution to the fluidized ion-exchange resin-drug complex particles was ineffective in controlling drug release since the coating came off in the dissolution medium due to swelling and fracturing of the particles. Pretreatment of the ion-exchange resin-drug complex particles with an agent such as polyethylene glycol was essential for the particles to retain their geometry and coating during dissolution. With divinylbenzenesulfonic acid resin complexed with phenylpropanolamine as a model, mixtures of ethylcellulose-coated and uncoated resin-drug complex particles were prepared. These mixtures gave varying drug release profiles that showed rank-order correlation with plasma concentration profiles obtained in bioavailability studies with suspension dosage forms.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/113342851/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

BollWeevil said:
Alright, I found an abstract with a good explanation of ion-exchange resin systems.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/113342851/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

now if there was just actual proof it used an ion-exchange time release resin.....so far everything i have read has just been on here, no sources were posted. But excellent find never the less.

drklnk said:

I will have to ask my better half tommorow, but basically I think its the yellow side you want; take a razor blade, shave a tiny bit off both sides, figure out which is gray and which is yellow, cut pill in half (use razor blade and hammer), swallow both halfs or throw away the gray part (with the 36mg concerta, i think we figured there was only3-6mgs of ritalin in it(gray side), it's all in the yellow half)

with that said, be careful, we put a nice dent in a hardwood floor with these freaking pills.....they are hard as hell