• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax vs Ativan?

According to my psych, it goes:

Xanax > Valium > I forget

Ativan > I forget > Klonopin

They're the same families, but slightly different. Xanax and Ativan are both at the bottom, but Xanax "packs a punch" (her words, not mine) and Ativan is more of a slow, comfortable kick-in.

I like Ativan better than Xanax, but I take them occasionally for a legitimate anxiety disorder, so I'm guessing people interested in it for the recreational side would rather Xanax - it's a stronger "punch" at the same dose as Ativan.

Get a higher dose (I think 2mg is the most you can get) and split them in 1/4's.. my psych has me do this to my Ativan to save money and make them last longer.

The difference is they're 2 completely different molecules.
xanax = alprazolam
ativan = lorazepam.
which is better? Well, that's a matter of opinion.

I would choose xanax , unless you have ativan ampule's. IM shots of ativan are extremely relaxing but even then it lacks the euphoria that xanax gives me at the right dose.

xanax will floor you more and give you more of a recreational high. I just got put on loraz and it really does help my anxiety in a subtle way. No real high associated but no tightness in chest and rapid thoughts.

xanax hands down.

lorazepam also seems to lose its value much more quickly than xanax when taken regularly

This seems to be a popular question, every time I see a thread having to do with benzo's everyone seems to have their own opinion on why a certain one is better, or just simply enjoy a different one.

In the case of Xanax or Ativan... I would go with Xanax, Ativan is what I started with a few years back and it is good if you want something quick. But the feeling also seems to be gone quick too.

If I had my choice of benzo though I would go with Valium. I really dig it... we have a 4 year relationship going strong.

i just ordered some ativan for the first time in a while. lately i have been using benzos once a week at most and my benzo of choice has been 4-6mg clonazepam. now it will be 4-6mg of lorazepam, and i shall see the difference.

my benzo of choice used to be xanax, but that seemed to lose effect after a while.

i strongly prefer ativan, but i am in the minority. the difference is xanax is far more heavy and present, and ativan is a lot warmer and more comforting--for me, at least. they are both excellent pills though, used in the right circumstances.

I strongly prefer Xanax. Other than the fact that it seems 10x stronger than Ativan, it doesn't give me the "cartoony" high that Ativan does. I don't know how to describe it other than I just feel silly and everything takes on this cartoonish appeal. But I can take 1mg Xanax and be put to sleep for about 14 hours. But not even 2 nights ago I took 10mg Ativan and didn't feel anything.

This year was my first year ever experiencing benzos. I went a few months where I experimented pretty continuously with Ativan and Xanax, to the point where I had pretty nasty withdrawls. Coming from a clean slate and being benzo niave, I'll tell you my conclusions after those few months:

Ativan and Xanax feel quite different, for me they were not really comparable. I started taking Ativan, usually 1mg to 2mg. For me, it was like a subtle relaxation would overtake me over the course of an hour. It was almost as if I wouldn't realize it until it was already there. I would try to move and realize my limbs were heavy and I was feeling very content and comfortable. Laying down and reading felt immensely enjoyable because I just didn't have a care in the world.

Then I was given Alprazolam (Xanax brand name). I took 1mg of that and it felt totally different. Within half an hour I could tell I was getting fucked up. My coordination dramatically worsened and I didn't feel so much sedated as just disinhibited and carefree. All my muscles felt heavy and relaxed, but my mind was not as relaxed as on Ativan. In fact, I was somewhat productive on these doses of Xanax. I took 3mg on night, and I forget everything I did that night. I turns out I had installed a new computer game and played it for an hour, and I have almost no memory of that.

So my take: Ativan is good for relaxation/anxiet. Xanax is good to totally take a mind vacation.

What do you guys mean when you say you "ordered?" I hope you're not buying benzos from foreign online pharmacies.. not only is it illegal, you have NO IDEA what you're getting

Don't order from American pharmacies either!!!!! You have no idea what your getting!!!

^ Oh my, fuck me for caring

my best friend ordered amph from some bullshit foreign pharmacy and died because instead of adderall, she got 5-year-old fenphen, didn't know it until she took too many, developed a heart problem and died from surgery complications last year.

MY BAD