• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax ER and food

RxVeritas

Bluelighter
I take Xanax extended-release 2mg.

I've read online that having a meal two hours before consumption increases cmax by 25%, which is pretty significant.
It's also stated that eating a small meal with xanax ER reduces tmax by 30%, while a eating small meal 30 minutes (it was 30 minutes or an hour, I forget) after taking Xanax ER increases tmax by 30%.

I can't find anyting conclusive regarding whether or not the fat content of meals are important in this case.

I am curious if anybody here has experience specifically with Xanax ER, and whether or not the differences in cmax and tmax that are stated in the literature seem accurate, or even significant.

Even if you feel that you don't have anything to add to this conversation, I hope you have great day, and I hope that reading this last line put a smile on your face!

Food can affect the absorption of Xanax ER (extended-release) medication. Taking Xanax ER with food can slow down the absorption rate and delay the onset of its effects. It is generally recommended to take Xanax ER on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal, for optimal absorption. However, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional or refer to the medication's instructions for specific guidance on how to take Xanax ER with food.

I've always found taking things on an empty stomach to be more effective.

Cheers.

Food can affect the absorption of Xanax ER (extended-release) medication. Taking Xanax ER with food can slow down the absorption rate and delay the onset of its effects. It is generally recommended to take Xanax ER on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal, for optimal absorption. However, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional or refer to the medication's instructions for specific guidance on how to take Xanax ER with food.

I've always found taking things on an empty stomach to be more effective.

Cheers.
Thank you for your response, I appreciate.

Does anybody have any other personal experiene with Xanax ER?

Do you recall what kind of duration you, personally, got out of them when chewed?

Thank you for your feedback, apparently Xanax ER is not that commonly prescribed so I appreciate you.

long release short acting benzo. what nonsense if possible and preferable to you get switched to valium or klonopin. Both are better suited to those who need more than a few hours of relief. Of course I realize you would have to ask your doctor and that would be uncomfortable but most doctors would find the logic reasonable I do believe. (YMMV depending on doc and past behavior). I have only seen it once, have no idear where it came from originally but was told i could get bars, they looked off so i googled em and ER, backed out so I can't say awhole lot. If it isn't the new TimeRX system or something based on it chewing them up should defeat the time release. Xanax will last about 4 hours 6 if you are very lucky.

I appreciate all of your replies.

Years ago I was on klonopin, which is the definitely the best benzo for me.

I have that with my new psychatrist, I'll eventually get back on klonopin.

Alprazolam (Xanax) makes me too sleepy, and it happens usually real fast. I don't think I ever had ER ones, though.
Clona does the trick for me, where I can be relaxed and feel good and still do everything I want to. Again, no ER here (does ER clona even exist?).
Like @Snafu in the Void I chew them because the yummy taste alone makes me already feel the effect, though that's a rather psychological thing. But because of this, I never take clonas (or alprazolam or anything else I like to chew) right before or after a meal.
I know there are sublingual variants of some benzos that are supposed to kick in faster, but in my experience that's not so.

I'm prescibed 1.5mg IR but since the pharmacy has a hard time supplying them, I got the E.R.s.
I only take the IRs right before sleep.

With the ERs I fold them in foil and bash them to powder.
Then parachute them.
Eventhough you supposedly break the ER, the onset is very unstable.
2-4 hours which makes the ERs pretty useless as sleepmeds.
I've found taking them on a full stomach will prolongue the onset even more.

That sucks to hear TUFKA. and 1.5 mg is an unheard of script dosage where I am. Behind times, every script 30 60 90 or 120. After that it goes to 2mg pills same #s, never 8 1mgs but 4 2 mgs; all the time. Strange.

Availability scarcity at the pharmacy started with my script when I still took 3mg.
I was given 12 x 0.25mg tablets before I went to bed.🙄
I couldn't get 3 days out of a box.
But I'm convinced the insurance charges per box, not per script.
Smart business plan an I love to eat that many pills....NOT.🙈
But still rather have to eat a handful of pills instead of preparing the ERs to become IR.

On that note, I prepared the ERs this morning and dissolved them in 10 milliliter 40° rum.
It looked like wallpaperglue when I got home.
I still have to check to other post about this.
I think the poster mention 2cl alcohol per pill.😳
That would be 6cl for 3 pills.
As a rarely drink alcohol I hope this mini shot will help, for I could never drink 6cl 40° proof.🤢🤮🤮

I'm 30 minutes in since I took that 'cocktail' and onset seems to be coming.
I'll be back with my conclusion.

12 .25's. Dose wise totally makes sense but I don't think my pharmacy would even believe me if I had a 12 xanax a day script. They called me on 3 temazepam 30s once; flat accused me of forgery and denied that was their implication by saying "we won't fill this until we speak with your doctor." Or of course hand me back the paper script. My doc went off on that pharmacist, and rightfully so. I went off of temazepam and on to klonopin as it is more "accepted."

Id go 20 ml of rum as most rum is 80 proof.

hope you got the relief they were scrpted for,

Thank you.
I crashed like a baby after that post.
8am and wide awake.
I'm in Europe, rum is called 40% alc. here.
I just find it so hard to drink that stuff.
I drank too much and too often when I was a boy.
My Pavlov reflex is🤢🤮🤢🤮 when I even smell it. Or whiskey. Or gin. Etc....🙈
On the other hand, I only deal with the pharmacist.
My doc knows my history and recovery story , so she got the old 'you know what you're doing, what do you need?- vibe.
Yeeeeh!
I believe many of you would like a doc who knows that you're not bullshitting when you 'need' meds, but at the same time, it will do you no good if the pharmacy is being one of the most untrustworthy suppliers/ dealers I EVER had 😞

We have mandatory healthcare provision here, and besides my monthly fee for that, all other scripts and procedures are totally covered.
So that's a pro.