• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax doesn't work what's up with that

Keets

Greenlighter
I just had surgery and have been off diladed for a week so my sleep,has been messed up cause I have also quit drinking too. My doc gave me celexa and generic Xanax he said the Xanax should work till the celexa kicks in so its sort term. He prescribed me .5 mg and,said it was strong and to try half first. A full .5mg doesn't even make me sleepy I'm still up till 3am. He said it should knock me out. I'm tiny I'm only 126lbs. Afte surgery they were giving me diladed and Valium and it knocked me out in the hospital. After getting home the diladed didn't even help my pain.did this somehow mess up my tolerance and now I have to take more Xanax? I would hate to run out of the Xanax before the celexa kicks in but I'm exhausted and really need to sleep. Not trying to abuse it but it doesn't do anything for me at all not even the calmness.

That dose is really low if your already used to Valium. I needed 4-6mg to sleep in withdrawal (that's to much probably) . try 1mg? And BTW alcohol and xanax I believe are somewhat cross tolerant I think you would need more if you drink. Also its called dilaudid

That dose is really low if your already used to Valium. I needed 4-6mg to sleep in withdrawal (that's to much probably) . try 1mg? And BTW alcohol and xanax I believe are somewhat cross tolerant I think you would need more if you drink. Also its called dilaudid

I figured it was spelled wrong I threw the bottle away and didn't have time to look it up.
I have not been drinking I have been sober for 24 days now. I don't remember how much Valium they were giving me in the hospital never thought to ask. From what I have read online the Xanax is supposed to be stronger than Valium I don't know probably wrong. The first night I used the Xanax I was up till 3 am and when I woke up I felt like I had the worst hangover ever but that has gone away after taking it for a week now. If it's not even working I don't know why I stil take it I don't know was hoping maybe it would maybe just work but no.

xanax is stronger than valium, by weight, 10mg of valium is roughly equivalent to .5mg of xanax.

Therefor, an equipotent dose therefor would give you similar effects, and taking .25mg of alprazolam would be equal to 5mg of diazepam. Try taking the .5, or 1mg. Xanax is strong.

Xanax is stronger on a mg basis. And try taking unisom(doxylamine version not benadryl) with it . it is highly sedating its like a better diphenhydramine. What's the most xanax you have tried because .5mg is like nothing. And benzos aren't perfect for sleep but they work great at the right dose. Using Valium and alcohol made you tolerant to xanax before even taking Any you likely would need more.be careful tho if you had alcohol problems as xanax is a similar addiction

Xanax is stronger on a mg basis. And try taking unisom(doxylamine version not benadryl) with it . it is highly sedating its like a better diphenhydramine. What's the most xanax you have tried because .5mg is like nothing. And benzos aren't perfect for sleep but they work great at the right dose. Using Valium and alcohol made you tolerant to xanax before even taking Any you likely would need more.be careful tho if you had alcohol problems as xanax is a similar addiction

my doc said not to take any sleep aids because it does the opposite for me it gives me severe anyiety. I'm tying to be honest and follow docs orders and use the Xanax short term while the celexa kicks in. In the end I want to be off the Xanax since I'm not trying to abuse it. I want to be careful and know the risks of addiction but it's not doing anything for me as prescribed. He said he would just take me off the Xanax and celexa and give me something just to sleep but recommended me giving the celexa a try and from what I Was told it could take 4-6 weeks to work in the mean time I'm taking Xanax that isn't helping working.

I have been taking the .5 since last week and it does nothing
that sounds about right I think I was taking 15 mg of Valium I was supposed to be taking the 10 but it didn't do anything for me it only helped me get off the alcohol safely

Honestly at 15mg of Valium I would try 1.5-2mg to sleep with and over the counter sleep aid. In my experience 10mg Valium is 1mg xanax tho some people feel it's different I think the Valium is just more stretched out so it seems weaker. The longer you take nothing to sleep the easier it is tho, alcohol,Valium and xanax all work on Gaba so they are all cross tolerant if I just quit alcohol I'd stay far away from benzos but that's just me. Also can you ask a doctor for baclofen? Its approved for helping symptoms of alcohol w

I would take 1.5mg of xanax at least or just stop taking it. It just makes it take longer to return to normal from alcohol abuse by taking that. Try baclofen or ghb but that's hard to obtain. They work on gaba b while alcohol works on gaba a. Its approved for alcohol abuse and is easy to get from a doc. Should help you sleep without canceling your efforts from quiting alcohol

I'm past symptoms with alcohol that's not the problem now. The problem is I quit drinking and had surgery wishing the same week and now I can't sleep at all so my doc prescribed me celexa to hopefull stabelize the problem and get me back to normal. He said the celexa should fully work after 4-6 weeks but in the mean time prescribed me the Xanax to help me not have anxiety and sleep.

Also so I can't take over the counter sleep aids they give me anxiety and do the opposite. I'm starting to think every thing I take does the same thing.

2 mg's of xanax is more of a standard dose.

.5's are more for PRN throughout the day.

That's funny my doc told me it was a big dose and to start off with half of the of the .5mg dose.,I didn't think half would effect me since I had already been taking the Valium so I just took the .5. I wonder if he just said it was a high dose so I wouldn't play with taking more since I have an alcohol history and lost a bottle of generic Valium from a previous doc.

All I want to do is sleep without going back to drinking and the sleep aids he could have given me wouldn't mix well with the celexa. I figured I would just stick to the original meds he wanted me to take in the first place if they will help stabilize me. I'm exhausted from having surgery and not drinking is giving me horrible insomnia. The quitting dinking and having surgery,than on pain meds than off them has my body so messed up right now. I'm not planning on drinking anymore the doc gave me an anti fungal med and it didn't work because my liver was so messed up I wonder I this is like the same thing.

What I don't understand is how celexa would help with sleep I read about it . seems like and antidepressant?? I was given antidepressant for sleep and it made it worse . you can't get baclofen from your doc? or maybe instead of xanax,ambien or temazepam? Did you get physical alcohol withdrawal ?

What I don't understand is how celexa would help with sleep I read about it . seems like and antidepressant?? I was given antidepressant for sleep and it made it worse . you can't get baclofen from your doc? or maybe instead of xanax,ambien or temazepam? Did you get physical alcohol withdrawal ?

my doc said the celexa will help stabelize my anxiety and smooth out my sleep and kind ob balance me out. i did go alochol dt's and ends up in the hospital and they gave me something to help m but it was only like 6 pills I can't ven remember what it was called. Than my doc gave me something to help,with cravings early on but unit taking it becaus I was doing ok. I'm 24 days alochol fre so I'm over the withdrawal part. I think my doc said if I took ambien or something similar I couldn't talk the celexa because of interactions. I don't know what most of this crap is till I look I up and find the non generic name. I just trust my doc knows what he is doing and giving me I don't know what med is supposed to help its what anymore.

You gain tolerance to the hypnotic effects of benzos rather quickly, so one shouldn't use benzos for sleep for longer than a week at max.
Ask your doctor for a z-benzo like zolpidem.
And don't take the benzos for too long, given that you drank your GABA receptors won't be in their best shape, so you are risking rebound effects and in the worst case withdrawal.

Can you try something like hydroxyzine?

Even after 24 days I would thing if you drank enough to get DTs you would still be feeling insomnia and stuff from that and using the benzos is basically just canceling your progress.