• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Would you continue to take drugs if you knew they will cause you permanent damage?

Yeh agreed cool post.
I guess the question I would ask would be, how much drug use is going to do how much damage. If I knew that taking pills at all would definately do that, obviously I'd stop. I'm looking forward to old age and don't want to be robbed of it...
However, if I knew that a small amount of drug taking would do a small amount of damage, like maybe some memory loss (which is just a part of being old anyway) at age 70 or whatever, I'd probably use that small amount anyway.
There are bad effects for overuse in the short term anyway, and I'd like to think that I use only a small amount of drugs, so I guess it would all be down to a sense of balance...
What if having to much fun and overdoing it is going to mean that we don't have a long, healthy life? I do want to have grandkids one day, I want to retire in style, but I want to enjoy my youth as well. So where do you draw the line between living for the now and looking to the future?
You will all think I'm a hypocrite when I tell you this though... I'm a smoker. From that, I don't think that I need to say anymore.

lsd303 u have really made me think now
after watching many of my friends who had somewhat major issues from earlier in their lives or were just general 'brewers' over everything (ie would never stop thinking about the bad things) get into the drugs and just get worse and worse everytime someone like this tells me they are going to pop their first pill I actually try to convince them not to. Mainly because I have just seen soo many people just go from bad to worse. After reading your post though really does make me think that obviousily that is not always the case. You must be a very amazing person to pull through everything u have
smile.gif

xoxoxo
nicole
------------------
crazy sprout, crazy sprout, crazy crazy crazy sprout (don't ask :p)

Well personally i believe we are all doing permanent long term damage to ourselves with the drugs we take, and i also think the more often you take, the more you take will also play a part in the condition we will be left with when we get older.
Althoughi don't think i would completely stop what im doing, taking when i go out, i do think i would maybe moderate it much more, say at LEAST every 3-4 months, not every month or couple of weeks.(which i try to do now...sometimes unsuccessfuly)
Im largely for "live for the now" so it isnt really stopping me...when i eat a hamburger i think of how it will affect me in the now, not in 40 years down with bad health, and its the same with drugs.

Totally off topic, I guess, but re: having "as much fun" when old as we do now ((c) elver):
Can you guys imagine Belfast 86? A club/shed full of 80yo dudes in walking frames going "remember this track? woooooooooo!" and 'dancing' the best they can to stuff like acperience/melt .. ie tracks from 60-65 years before.
smile.gif

(or maybe not.. [giggles])

So, despite the fact that almost every source known to us has stated that there is a very very high chance of doing irrepairable damage to our brains, how is that so many of you have said "No i wouldn't" and yet still do?
If you were serious, i think that even if there was a slight chance of doing the damage (even if they are just 'guestimates' and 'probablys' at the moment) then you really should stop 'just in case'.
In summary (not that its long lol), there seems to be an overriding view (from all that I have read at least) that there is a 95% chance of doing damage to the brain, and yet all you that have said "I wouldn't if proven". Is that 5% chance that it doesn't enough to make you continue your usage?
HC

I guess it'd have to depend on all the details, ie: how much damage, when it'd happen etc... I already know that it could be doing me damage, so the actual knowledge would simply give me information so I could restructure the risk/benifit equation. I couldn't tell you hypothetically because it would really depend if I thought it was worth it given the new information. I might stop - I might not.
That said though, I really don't use drugs very often - and the drug I use most (speed) I could give up in an instant. It's fun, but I don't need it. So if information came in that I was actually hurting myself then speed would go straight out the door, as would most drugs.
As for MDMA, I don't think I'd wipe that one off the list quite so quickly. I haven't had it since March (almost 6 months now), but I'd have a hard time knowing I'd never do it again. Without taking anything away from lsd303's first story, I believe that I went through a very similar experience (although I assume it was no where near as bad - I only thought about killing myself but didn't try). I've posted about this experience before and don't feel like typing it out all again (some of you have probably read it), but what happened then with MDMA was too positive an experience for me to never use it again, despite knowing of a definite risk.
Point of the post: I guess what I'm saying is that I'd weigh up all the benifits, compare them to the new risks I just discovered, and decide whether it was still worth it. For most drugs I don't think the risk would be worth it because the benifits I get aren't that huge, but with MDMA I think the risks would have to be fairly significant, because the benifits I recieved and could potentially recieve again are substantially higher.
smile.gif

A couple of points.. (mmmm, 2 points... [slaps head])
HC - I agree with the theory that if there's a >50% chance a particular recreational drug is going to cause permanent damage, you should stop. But (and this could be wrong) - what about alcohol? I'm sure I've read from several sources that it's the _only_ psychoactive drug that causes genuine "brain damage" (ie death of neurons) at any dose... and it's legal. Go figure. :/
And Pleo ... when you made that comment along the lines of "I've been through something similar to you, but nowhere near as bad..." etc ... not to attack you, but that sort of statement really erks me. Yeah, the shit I've been (and sometimes still go) through has been living hell... but suffering is subjective. Someone could get so worked up about an ingrown toenail that it ruined their enjoyment of life and led to suicidal ideation.. which may sound stupid to someone "like me" who has "really suffered" .. but my point is that if someone is going through intense suffering, there's no way of comparing how much they are suffering to anyone else, because, as I said, it's subjective. I don't think that what I've had to deal with gives me the right to walk around thinking "I've suffered more than x% of the population", because I'm _not_ x% of the population, and can't possibly know how they're feeling about any particular issue/headfuck, no matter how petty it may seem to me (with my supreme, omniscient intelligence
wink.gif
[cough]) ...
------------------
Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration... that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively - there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. here's Tom with the weather!

It was just a way of saying that I too have been depressed to the point of suicide - no comparisons intended... It probably reads that way, but I didn't mean it like that. It was simply a way of tieing the thread together and providing a frame of reference for the people that don't know either of us but are reading this anyway...
Apologies for any offence I unintentionally caused.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Pleonastic (edited 04 October 2001).]

I'm undecided on this one.
However, I might pick up on the issue of being able to 'stop whenever we want.' I've grown to be a bit wary of this one because I clearly remember myself saying the exact same thing once upon a time about smoking. There's little point in me denying my addiction nowadays as I know I'm hooked and mind you, I'm a relatively light smoker, doing a pack a week on average. Without claiming to know know the full meaning of addiction (probably far from it), my experiences so far have led me to believe that it's something that creeps up on you slowly and subtly, seldom displaying the 'tell-tale signs of addiction' if there's such a thing. I don't get nervous withdrawals and can go days, even weeks, without a puff but eventually, I need to start again. The only thing that possibly characterises addiction is the initial denial of it, especially if what you're doing is negative or bad for you.
Wouldn't it be great if we could sometimes feel foresight like the way we feel regret? Maybe even preview future pain to moderate the present. Not only would many of us stop smoking and God forbid, stop doing drugs (pfft) but perhaps we'd treat each other better as well.
(apologies for getting carried away)
[This message has been edited by yaya (edited 04 October 2001).]

I'm yet to see conclusive evidence that we're doing a large amount of damage to ourselves, or even that there is a chance we may be doing so... From all that I've seen, read, and heard, we have as much chance of damaging our brain as we do of getting cancer from using a mobile phone, ie we really don't know...
Now to answer the question directly, if it were confirmed that we would do a large amount of damage to our brain of the magnitude of something which would bestow 'vegetable' status upon us, then yes, I would stop right now... That's not going to happen tho, people have been taking mdma long enough, if that were the case we'd know it...
The more likely scenario, that our moderate use of mdma might could lead to a greater chance of developing some disease which we were already prone to, then I would not stop, and my use is light enough to not nescessitate slowing down either...
If however it were shown that one pill per month highly increases the chance of developing a condition such as alzeimers, such that a regular user for 3 years would have an 80% chance of developing the condition, then yes, I would stop...
But as I said, there is no evidence to indicate that we are doing irreparable damage to ourselves so while I don't take the information that we do have for granted, its not going to stop me from enjoying the benefits of this wonderful drug...

In a word "yes".
It's not a habit, it's a lifestyle, and one that I can't live without.
At least I'll have had a happy life
smile.gif

Dammit I've just lost a huge reply to this.
I am way too tired to write it all again but here it is in essence:
I believe that I would continue to do what I do, especially if it was like smoking where you have a 1 in whatever chance of it happening. It's the whole that will never happen to me attitude.
I know that the risks of me becoming seriously or termially ill through things I do are pretty high, I just choose to believe that It won't happen to me. I live for today and the consequences of tomorrow don't really occour to me, especially on such a large scale.
------------------
The only thing I'm good at is being bad.

even if the life I lead kills me tomorrow.. i'm happy knowing that i've enjoyed my life so much and met some really *grins* 'interesting' people.
this does not mean that if a big kilo bag of coke fell into my lap i'd just do it all and go out in .. err.. style?.. but that if i'm true to myself then i'm willing to accept what the universe has in store, if anything.
it's all good. I had no idea how much I believed that till the weekend just gone.
everything is intensely important and vital.. and everything is bollox. *grins*

Live for the moment
smile.gif

i too believe with your theory lsd, for me all small things come together.. always somehow work themselves out, and things just come to me naturally, i think going with the flow of life and just enjoying it is the way to go.
When you think about it, alot of us are already doing things that cause us permanent damage .. like smoking cigerettes, alcochol, i guess i would feel alot more guilty afta taking the drugs knowing they were doing so much harm, yet i really dont think it would stop me..
its kinda like looking at the student who got 99 score and studied at home every night and didnt go out, n then looking at the other student who had the 60 score, and the time of their life through school.
Id pick the 60 score
smile.gif
actually i did
smile.gif

whats the point of hitting the age 80 with no funny stories to tell
smile.gif
?
(not saying u cant have fun without drugs, but u know what i mean :p )

I don't know how many years other people on this site have regularly taken mdma/amphetamine/lsd/nitrous etc etc but I have been going at it around ten years now, and I often think what I'd have been like physically and mentally had I not, and what I will be like in the future. My point is we cannot project so far into the future and pinpoint the exact causes of illness when we're old. If we're lucky enough to have the same circle of friends at sixty as we do now then we can use their health as a basis for comparision to our own, but I doubt this. Each person is an individual and makes choices with consequences, most of which you'll never be aware of... otherwise you're not human.

~bill, you wonderful wonderful person.
If I have a bender that lasts longer than 2 nights then my brain just dissapears for a few days. I am guessing that this can't be an entirely temporary thing that is happingin to my head.
As far as the question goes I would have to say that I'd do it because I do it now.
My quality of life has skyrocketed and I am travelling more and furthur than before and having a ball finding out that older people than I have been doing it since they were younger than me and are still going with no real end in sight.
It's a new lifestyle with slightly more danger but the rewards reaped are far greater.
------------------
Ludicrous speed... GO!
-----------------------
God loves everyone
God takes pills!

Pleo:
It was just a way of saying that I too have been depressed to the point of suicide - no comparisons intended...
Apologies for any offence I unintentionally caused.

(Slow to respond to this, I guess, but that reflects where I'm at right now anyway.. [shit, sunday night, have to wake up and suck the dick of capitalism in ~6-7 hours, joy!
smile.gif
]
Thanks, but no apology was needed at all.. if you want to offend me, tell me that depression is "all in my head" and that I should just "snap out of it", or "think happy!"... then I'll be offended, or perhaps so annoyed that I'll come and firebomb your house.
wink.gif

But as for your/others messages.. no problems
smile.gif

------------------
Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration... that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively - there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. here's Tom with the weather!

Woops... I thought this was an old thread that was dug back up and I had replied to it. I'll reply later when I have had a chance to think about it and feel like writing an essay (it will be procrastination).
I'll be back to edit this post and read the replies.

MMM, Coca cola probably has more chems in it then a pill, bread even has chems in it today, pills could be the most 'purest' product in the world today lol :p
Peace~take care