• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Would this be dangerous?

flakrun

Bluelighter
I'm switching from 10 mg citalopram to 75 mg effexor xr, and I'm two days in. I stopped citalopram and went straight on effexor.

Would taking 20 mg of oxycodone put me at higher risk of Serotonin Syndrome, as I'm introducing an SNRI?

I'm wondering if the SSRI will still affect me, and not be out of my system, and I'm concerned if they both will increase seretonin, and therefore put me at higher risk?

Anyone have any idea if it's safe?

I'm switching from 10 mg citalopram to 75 mg effexor xr, and I'm two days in. I stopped citalopram and went straight on effexor.

Would taking 20 mg of oxycodone put me at higher risk of Serotonin Syndrome, as I'm introducing an SNRI, and then I'm wondering if the SSRI will still affect me, and they both will add up together?

Anyone have any idea if it's safe?

Applies to: oxycodone and Effexor (venlafaxine)
Using oxyCODONE together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucinations, seizures, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms during treatment. In addition, combining these medications may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

I WOULD NOT combine.

Applies to: oxycodone and Effexor (venlafaxine)
Using oxyCODONE together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome(...)

I WOULD NOT combine.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I've read this, but have also read many people still using despite being on an AD. I have used on citalopram without any issue as well. The thing that worries me is that I'm introducing effexor as a new drug, and citalopram probably still remains in my system after two days. So I wonder if this would count as two drugs increasing serotonin, and put me at even higher risk?

If you have doubts, don't. That said I've combined opioids with just about every AD under the sun and I've never had any issues. Effexor is a weird one though.

Yes, both the antidepressants will be in your system and increase your risk of SS, however the risk is still rather low if you're only taking a single 20mg dose of oxy. You'll probably be OK.

If you have doubts, don't. That said I've combined opioids with just about every AD under the sun and I've never had any issues. Effexor is a weird one though.
Yes it seems to affect a wider range of things right? Thank you for the input!

Yes, both the antidepressants will be in your system and increase your risk of SS, however the risk is still rather low if you're only taking a single 20mg dose of oxy. You'll probably be OK.
Thanks for your reply Snafu! I think I'll try to wait as long as I can, to lower the risk, and more of the first drug to leave my system. Hoping this will lower the risk (my anxiety needs this😅).