:WORK WARNING: A protest or something equally as obscure, about avatars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is hilarious. Anyone has the right to put whatever avatar they want. Personally I laughed the first time I saw 1234's new avatar, I took it with good humour. There are other avatars out there that are just as bad. If you think you might be offended by an avatar, listen to Raz, disable the feature. It's no big fucking deal.

I said this in support, but i'll say it again: Im gonna put people who have nasty avatars on ignore.

I dont see why i should suffer because of a few bad apples.

Originally posted by BloSs0m
As for my "moralistic crusade" i am interested in why this kind of imagery is now being deemed acceptable. Why is it, that these images are being brandished all over the web? Is it simply because they are more accessible now? Or is it, that through a "desentitization" of society we are simply more accepting, and less affected which makes it now okay to put these images all over the place? Or is it quite simply, i was just younger, and as a small child i didn't have any kind of access to places that i may have stumbled across them? These are all questions which i know i may not find answers for, but ones i would like to explore in my own time.

i assume you're asking why society (or bluelight, as an extension *of* society) is accepting the images? well, i think the reason that they are more likely to be accepted is due to the fact that the idea of morality as an objective thing is a thing of the past. i would argue that there are certain inalienable moral rights that we, as humans, have (specifically not to be physically harmed), but the opportunity to censor others' expression certainly isn't amongst them imo - if something exists, i don't think there is any particular reason to prevent a rational adult from making the decision about whether or not they want to see it by themselves (which is why the avatars can be turned off). i just don't think 'morality' is a concept that can rule what *adults* can or can't see. now, if someone had brought up the fact that children are able to register on this site now (which they can - although it's against the rules), there might be another argument ;)

Originally posted by Shnouzerpuff
Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Social Forum Guidelines:
Here's what is not acceptable in this forum:
- Topics that are clearly going to be found offensive

It is not the basis of "Avatar Freedom" that is getting me all bristled about these images, but more the fact that by default you are forced to view them. I could be wrong, but I think that technically on Bluelight's default settings avatars are turned on... so you are automatically forced to view posts that are arguably breaking the Bluelight End User Agreement and definately breaking this forum's guidelines.

this is a pretty fair point, but i still dispute that you're forced to view the images. yes, avatars on is the default option (changing it to default off - which seems pretty reasonable - is being discussed in the support thread), but it can *very easily* be turned off. i think yours is certainly the strongest argument here, shnouz, but i guess i'm just on the other side of the line, or at least that's what i think.

1234, I know you only posted this to get a rise out of people and it sure did work - but man, as a mod you are meant to be setting an example here. An avatar like that only does one thing other than shock - and that is to take away from your mostly otherwise clever and insightful posts.

now, this i disagree with: look at all the discussion here! of course this thread and the controversy raised by the avatar aren't my best contributions to bluelight, but i think it's been okay too. i have pretty big personal problems with censorship, and am using this forum to air and debate them. as you pointed out, it's running a very close line to being against guidelines. bluelight isn't a place that welcomes nor protects free speech/expression (quite rightly too - it's somebody's bandwidth here), but until i'm told that i am officially outside of the guidelines i find this a pretty valid way in which to raise the issue.

Originally posted by strumpet
As someone who had to have a pic removed from "post your most recent pic" thread because there was a bit of body hair showing under my skirt (no skin mind you, just body hair) BY 1234, I find it totally inappropriate that he should be allowed to put this pic all over every board and thread that he frequents. It's revolting.

AND why should I not get to see everyone else's avatar just because he's showing his freedom of expression? While I appreciate Raz's point that I am effectively CHOOSING to see it by turning avatars off, I'm afraid it hinders the purpose of an "Australian Social discussion". I may be back in a few days.

i disagree: as you mentioned, you can turn avatars off. people seeing your picture couldn't choose (although, remember, i left the link to the picture there - just not the picture itself) whether or not they wanted to see it (as putting a 'work warning' on a thread with 100+ pages was quite untenable). not to mention the fact that my avatar - at 50 pixels by 50 pixels - was about 100 times smaller than yours ;)

as a post-script, people, it does seem that this discussion has been taken almost as far as possible, and the avatar is barely even necessary. i'll be changing it as soon as i find myself a new one. thanks for all the reactions though ;):D

As much as I hate to concede I did enjoy reading this thread... forcibly defocusing my eyes to every one of your posts was a hassle tho 1234. So I take back that latter part of my post before Brad.

I suppose if anything I just felt there was a measure of hypocrisy surrounding the strumpet issue. Deleting her post because it showed what I guess to be nothing more than pubic hair, then turning around and uploading an avatar that would make a proctologist shiver kinda got me riled up. I certainly still find something very amiss with that.

Plus looking at goatse is not something I wanted to do on a daily basis.

If nothing else the ~words~ on this thread made for a welcome oasis away from the "Lets Hear it for Muffins!" or "Post A Pic Of Your Garage!" style threads that have been loungifying things up a bit lately.

So in conclusion: :p

Last edited:
^^ you should put a little visual example of the goatse avatar in a post so that if people read over the thread can see what all the hype was about.

<3

^Hah', yeah - - - for those who come after the Great Avatar Debate that divided the forum. :)

And yes, onetwothreefour - - - I for one am happy.
hearthrob.gif

It's far worse bigger.
We had it easy when it was tiny.

As for the change, i always find it a little bit weird when people suddenly "appear" different. But, this is a much better different than when you changed it last time ;)

that's a beautiful red though, isn't it?

(and i dunno how to put something into BoB - i can definitely archive it though.

anyone else got anymore discussion to add? :))

If this is going into any kind of archive, I'm getting my name in here! :D

And 1234, that pic looks infinitely worse as an actual picture. Funnily enough, as an avatar I could easily delude myself into believing it was some kind of spider. It still disgusted me though.

So yeah, I did so enjoy reading this debate and I'm sorry I was the one that told Moe to post that picture of the three elderly men getting it on.

Peace!

onetwothreefour said:
that's a beautiful red though, isn't it?

that is what struck me the most about seeing it better. It's a vicous painful red. You can see what pain mister Goatse(sp?) must be in... ew.

p.s i feel proud.

Re: A protest or something equally as obscure.

BloSs0m said:
I would like to have a whinge and a moan.

But not just about anything.
About how i feel disturbed, disgusted and exploited.

More specifically about a certain Super moderator's avatar.

Even more specifically, i am ashamed to ask if anyone else has looked closely at our very own onetwothreefour's new avatar.

I mean... ew!

As if i want to see some guy, stretching his goddamn anus to some kind of gross unnatural and seriously disturbing size.

With his hands.

the.nd.

to enable discussion, how do YOU feel about this disgusting, awful and disturbing dispay of completely innappropriate human freakdom?

I though it was a bit of a turn on=D =D =D =D =D

Utterly repulsive, but a turn on nonetheless!

I hear Derwent have a pencil that shade. Distended Rectum red

Disgusting. What some ppl will get up to for a bit of attention. And that goes out to everyone with obnoxious avatars.

Status
Not open for further replies.