• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

WORK SUCKS: Talk About Your Job

man, i just got my first direct deposit since i couldn't ride on my parents' insurance anymore. coldest stare i've ever given a paycheck.

Hydro, so you pay your own insurance now? Bummer.

Notfried, lol true!

from like the 20 or so posts i've seen of yours, i think you might actually be sincere. if so, you're really nice.

if not, yeah, it's nothing to really bitch about. at least i can pay my own insurance. it does feel like every time i get better at budgeting or increase my income, i also find a new expense. i don't wanna grow up. or didn't want to.

so you're at month in your new job. still good stuff?

You are much too kind! You seem pretty cool yourself.

That's the way it usually goes. As soon as we find the answers, the questions change lol. Thanks for asking about the new job, it's going pretty well. I had a really tough day on Sunday, but now I know I can make it through anything they throw at me lol.

whoa. this thread doesn't always get a ton of activity, huh?

well thanks! and glad to hear your job is going well.

i had my first annual performance review today. it went well! i get a raise. not much. it just goes into a calculator. i pretty much get my position's full potential raise, but my boss said she remembers that's like 3 or 4 percent. whatever. more money than before. i don't even know what a normal raise is.

more importantly, she also said she's happy to help me transition into a new field if and when i feel i'm ready. and that if i stick around for another year, there's no way i'll have the same title anymore. which is big at this company. especially because she knows i'm not moving into a nonprofit-specific position.

i have a sinking feeling as i type all this good news. almost everyone at the office is christian. like true christian. and my boss knows i'm not. for a while now, i think. after today, for sure. it really makes me worried both that she is less excited about working with me because we are not sharing in god's work and that maybe she cares less about my long-term professional development 'cause i'm just going to hell anyway.

it was announced that one coworker i really like is retiring. another's daughter died in a car accident last night. she talked about her kids all the time. kinda rough how well you get to know everyone in a small office.

our president hired an outside counselor to talk with us as an office next week about our coworkers daughter's death. which was untimely, and unfortunately not car but gun related. i don't know if that's SOP, but it's so necessary. among other things, the counselor is going to talk about support and coping strategies when the coworker returns to work. which is the biggest thing. this woman is second in charge and pretty much runs half the company. and almost every single person in the office is terrified of facing her. almost, because everyone's main man with the biggest heart lost his little grandson to a stray bullet; he is capable of close to true empathy in this situation.

but the rest of us just don't fucking know. how can i discuss advertising strategy with this woman? how can i ask her to pull numbers for me? and she isn't even anywhere in my direct chain of command. she's going to have one-on-one meetings with the people in the teams she's in charge of. how are they going to talk business strategy? how could you hand her a PTO request?

it's a small relief that we are at least having a well organized, open meeting about it.

^I wouldn't know what to do. Honestly, if probably act like nothing happened.

I worked 65+ hours at one job, and twelve at the other one. BOOM!

thank you for the encouragement hydroazuanacaine.

i just got back from my interview in the southwest (NM) which was very fun. regardless if i get on the waiting list, which can be lengthy, i'll be trying out some marketing in the interim, which i'm fairly excited about. i've got some other career leads too so i'm pretty happy right now. i've never been one to rush things. hope everyone's week is going well, we're halfway done!

I have a really rewarding job. But just like the rest of us, I get tired of the daily grind.

However, if I get a new outfit or new make up or something, it makes me excited to go to work the next day so I can wear my new outfit (in my case scrubs,) or put on my new make up.

I got my hair done tonight, and now I am excited to go to work tomorrow.

I am weird. lol.

Hell, I'm excited even I see my best friend's car in the parking lot when I pull in lol!

How's everyone doing?

Last edited:
Well damn, apparently I was called two days ago to start my apprenticeship and they couldn't reach my voicemail so my spot got given to someone else.

I wasn't even expecting a letter telling me that I had made the "wait list" for another two weeks, and the board I interviewed with made it seem like the wait list was a long one.

Damn, to think I could have been moving out west right now! At least it gives me a little more time to clean out my system I guess. Now I'm just really confused if I should go to this interview tomorrow or not... this is a really strange and unexpected situation for me. If I get called again by the training committee I told them I could be out there in a week, so... tough decision.

Last edited:
Finally finished this certification that I've been working on for ... a year and a half? Lol. I will work on it for four months, take a couple months off, then go back to it. I hate doing schooling but it's good to continue with education even while I'm working *sigh*. Now I just found another certification that I think I should get. Yay for more school :)

SirTophamHat, that sucks. Could they have called the wrong number?

Hydroazuanacaine, I agree. Go to your interview, Mr. Hat!

Llama, congrats! May your next certifications fly by.

recently took a new job in a new city. really exciting position with a lot of autonomy to create, explore and add value. more of the things i liked about my old job, and less of the things i didn't. pretty cool way to start the new year.

^Congrats on the job!

Sounds great. Did you move or are you commuting?

congratulations on the new job double ewe and well done llama for following through!

hydro and tude:

I went to my interview of course, it was the right decision I think. If I can make a few bucks before I leave the state, well, every bit helps. I think the committee did call the wrong number when they tried to contact me for a job yet I didn't want to question them and insinuate that they made a dumb mistake. I've decided to go the wireman route (inside electrician) and am preparing more each day for the move. Luckily I have always been a minimalist and can fit all of my earthly belonging--sans bed and squat rack--in my wee hatchback (1998 Impreza). It'll be an adventure, that's for sure.

^good call. write your thank you note for the interview? and so you're just waiting on a call about an electrician job and then you're gonna move out west? that is adventurous.

congrats, llama112 & double ewe!

i thought work was gonna suck so fucking much yesterday morning; i was hating life. the workday turned out fine. i know it's cliche, but mondays kill me. and i've just been having a bad attitude about my career as of late. gotta put that in check.