• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos withdrawing from GBL. will benzos help?

tyler5

Bluelighter
Hello,

I know GBL/GHB, benzos and alcohol all act through the GABA receptor, but since there's an A and a B, i was wondering if they were interchangeable?
can i stop using GBL after 3 weeks of heavy use and supplement the withdrawal with (more) benzos?
ive been on benzos for 15+ years now, but within the last 3weeks ive taken really small doses for me. im thinking its bc im using GBL and therefore dont need the benzos.
but, would it also be the other way around?

thank You for all the advice!

It helped a lot in my experience, Alprazolam was the benzo I had on hand. In hindsight the information of the receptor's GHB effects and that benzo target it is definitely not optimal. My usage was heavy but I withdrawled 5 days a week during working hours. Because my usage would start after work till wakening. Didn't even know what I experienced during the weekdays was withdrawal vertigo, pseudo hallucinations, sweating, skin hypersensitive and my bloodpressure was probably raised sky high. So if your not meaning a 24/7, but like I described doing some minni wd's here and there, they definitely are usable and helpfull. But when your dosing round the clock the effectiveness of a benzo is greatly diminished, you will feel the withdrawal overpowers the benzodiazepine.

They definitely helped me opposed to alcoho. Alcohol's aftereffects wreck havoc on you when your going through GHB withdrawal.

No acces to Phenibut I presume or Baclofen Tyler5? What's your heavy use may I ask?

i wouldnt say its heavy use, i use 2-3ml every 4-6 hours and have been doing so for less than a month. i've been on various benzos for 15years+ though and in my experience, gbl has replaced benzos for me basically. i still take 2mg of clonazepam a day but i used to use like 6-8mg/day.

24/7 is heavy enough and will make benzodiazepines ime not very suitable. Like I said in my first post I experienced withdrawal everyday when I was dosing GBL weekdays after work and the weekend 24/7. Reducing intake is a option.

GHB substitutes great when withdrawing from other substances, probably benzodiazepines too. But not the other way around, if there is a risk for seizures due to GHB withdrawal seems that it could help minimizing the risk to get one. People swear by Phenibut which otc. But I have never used Phenibut for that purpose.

it appears i do have access to Phenibut (250mg tabs).
how much would i need if i am using 20-25ml of pure GBL/24h ?

it appears i do have access to Phenibut (250mg tabs).
how much would i need if i am using 20-25ml of pure GBL/24h ?

Sorry didn't find any references for Phenibut. This link below is about GHB withdrawal and substituting Baclofen, pharmaceutically very like Phenibut. In this case Benzodiazepinen didn't stop GHB related seizures that occured during the withdrawal. Baclofen did if I read correctly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2630388/

Can you not just taper off? Withdrawals are not neccesary with adequate tapering.

Benzos might mask some of the side effects, but your GABA B receptors will still be way out of sync. Always try and taper.

Other than chloral hydrate or Pentobarbital, Baclofen is the new gold standard. While Phenibut should help with a slow GHB taper, Baclofen is the only way to drop 25% a day. Benzos will help with the drops but won't prevent seizures or delirium. Hope it works out for you, Let us know.

BTW 20-25ml of pure GBL/24h is heavy use. No doubt the fact that its only been a month goes in your favour, but still, I would really advise against going cold turkey.

Some other good things besides benzos to try for GHB/GBL WD are GABA supplements, Gabapentin (neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica) and OTC dimenhydrinate (dramamine), diphenhydramine (benadryl), Passion flower tea, and even somas or Tramadol or of course opiates. All of these things can help G withdrawals. I used many of these after a month long G binge using every couple hours for a month straight no breaks. G WD hurt and I have heard you can seize out an die without some of these meds listed above, but I never did. GABA works for opiate WD also and I bought it at the local vitamin/supplement shop. GNC may carry also

ok, no phenibut or baclofen available for me after all. holy shit i HATE the country i live in; they discontinued selling Xanax 2MG XR (no REGULAR 2mg AT ALL over here) bc no doctors were prescribing it. i get 60x1mg a month and that is the Absolute Maximum allowed to be written by a psychiatrist. if there were 2mg xr's i could get these and therefore get 120mg/month but since they arent available anymore .. no cigar.fml.
anyway, yes, i've been tapering for the last days. i've went from 20-25ml/day to 10-15ml/day, more like 10-12ml/day right now. no WD's to speak of, other than i start freezing after about 2-3hrs have passed since the last dose, even though its 28C/80F in my apartment 24/7. i've also went from dosing 2-3ml at a time to 0.5ml 75% of the time now, sometimes 1ml.
i will not have anything other than benzodiazepines to help me ride this one out (i have lots of them and different kinds, acquired from outside this godforsaken country via teh internet.). I have ordered 0.5L of GBL but I am pretty sure it will arrive either in the middle/ending stages of the WD or after its over.
which brings me to my next question: how long doesa GBL withdrawal last? I've been using every day for 3+ weeks, i hope to cut down to 5-7ml/day by the time i have to go cold turkey due to no access to GBL/GHB/GABA-B agonists.

You are doing a taper men that is that good. You can break the cycle with aid of your benzodiazepinen. The GBL you ordered, was not necessarly a good thing or was your GBL supply depleted?

I have been really addicted to that stuff and despite the severity of the withdrawals they were shortlived, in my case. But looking at the halflife it makes reasonably good sense to assume the wd's are short but fierce.

A night sleep withouth it really began to straight things out. But besides this is going the good direction. Don't forget about benzo addictiive power. May I add that 3 weeks is a relatively short period, discounting your history. I really can't recall what was my longest 24/7 period.

Last edited:
You are tapering pretty fast if I am correct. You are not taking any extra benzo's? I still not sure if your dependend on them or not.

If this is harmfull or not I have no idea, but for me it felt a lot better. The day I switched fto a benzo for sleep. But I was not dependend on benzo's.

yes, i am taking extra benzos now, obviously. i'm down to 5ml/day from 20-25ml/day and i did that in ~5days.
i also dose 0.5ml at a time, usually every 2-6hrs (as opposed to 1ml or 2-3.5ml before that).
i am not taking alot of benzos though, i've been on them for 15yrs+ and have had periods where ive been on 15-20mg xanax/day for 2yrs+. ive abused benzos for at least 7-9yrs out of the 15. my tolerance is high in that i wont get high off of benzos, but thankfully even 0.5mg xanax works for me and before i started with GBL in the beginning of May, I was on ~2mg clonazepam/day. now i'm taking xanax, clonazepam and diazepam and im using about 4mg/day. every day i use some diazepam (10-20mg), some clonazepam (1-2mg) and alprazolam (.5-1mg).
id say i definitely somewhat felt the rapid tapering bc i was in a "bleh" state of mind and the only thing that made everything instantly better, physically and psychologically, was and is 0.5ml of GBL.

i will probably be running out of GBL today or tomorrow latest. After that I only have benzos to get me through; I'm not going to touch alcohol because i hate it with a passion (i HATE the taste, the "high" and the after-effects (which are so fucking pronounced there has to be its own word for alcohol side/after-effects: HANGOVER) and I know I would feel 99x times worse after the 20min buzz is gone. I'd rather just stick it out with my benzos and concentrate on some netflix to try and pass the time as quickly and painlessly as possible.

well, that didn't exactly go according to plan ...
got my dosage down from 3ml to 0.5ml in 3 days after a month of dosing every 2-3hrs.
i ordered more GBL and now i sometimes guzzle 10ml, mostly 3-5ml every 2-3hrs