• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Will the ER help you for withdrawal?? In US

ColoradoBoy90

Bluelighter
SO, if I go to Emergency Room (they actually got me started on opioids in the first place 7 years ago when I was in pain and they gave me 15 or so Percs) but anyways -- will they write you pain meds for opioid Withdrawals???
I have proof I take pain meds and they contact my doctor and I show them my refill is past due, but I can't go down there because the doctor is booked, and is so busy you can NEVER talk to him without waiting weeks. I have many of the bottles to show the ER, if needed. It's also logged into any pharmacy database.

Only reason I say ER is because LAST TIME I went through withdrawal I had a seizure and almost chocked on my own puke. I will be alone for a while, too, right when I run out. Not safe. And this was when I was on the weaker meds, and only 5 times IR tablets daily. Now I take 8-9 IR tablets daily!! And double the ER dosages (sometimes hydro, oxy, or opana/Hydromorphone) So the WD will be even worse.

I ALREADY have clonidine and Promethazine, and they don't help. I take Imodium, Benadryl, etc, it doesn't help.

For whatever reason my withdrawals are WAY worse then normal, probably because I'm on 8 other meds messing with my brain.

So it's extremely dangerous for me. As taking 7-9 or so OTHER meds that mess with my brain, which is probably why Withdrawal is so unpredictable, unsafe, and way more intense than others. I don't even care if I break my pain contract, but I NEED them to give me a small supply so I can tamper, even if only a week's supply. I would blow my brains out if I have to experience cold turkey withdrawals. As I suffer from extreme untreatable depression, so add horrific opioid withdrawal into the mix!? It's pretty obvious what will happen to me...

Last edited:
Your posting makes no sense to me. The right contact person would be your doctor obviously.

I did, and they said "sorry no appointments and can't refill unless you see doctor".

So I don't know what to do.

Sorry my mind is so lost right now, I'm typing spelling errors left and right not making sense. I didn't double check my spelling and auto corrections in my post. I had to triple read this post to make sure it made sense...

If the refill is due like you claim then even if your doctor is unavailable for the moment they'd fax the prescription to your pharmacy or refer you to another doc. If one is in regular treatment, the refill is due but for some reason the doc cannot speak to you personally at the moment his staff will tell you what to do when you explain your situation, esp. if it's an urgent matter. As for making sense or not this is not about spelling errors but more if you're truthful or not and if you're regular refill is due or not.

This sounds like a dry-rehearsal of a lie you're gonna tell at the ER.

Pain management doesn't work like this. I've had plenty of schedule II scripts and if the doc can't see you, they'll still fill it when you're due. Either you've been skipping appointments, abusing the meds, or are lying in some way.

The story doesn't add up, and I'll tell you this much, the ER sure as shit isn't going to give you any opioids. They may be willing to sedate you and monitor you to keep you from seizing.

No, the ER won't help you out, withdrawal or not it is now exceptionally difficult to get pain meds at an ER. The most they'd do for you is rehydrate you by IV if you're severely dehydrated or give you a shot of Valium if you're actively seizing. Also, they might give you a clonidine patch.

Its best you do go and see someone for help as youll be in for a rough ride going through withdrawals but also make an appointment with your doctor for his next available regardless of him being busy .

You cant keep the pain meds increasing as youre totally addicted now.

Youll have to face a taper schedule.

The ER gave you opiates originally maybe because you had an injury that needed pain relief perhaps but you are the one still using them years later. Its your responsibility to get it under control. If you cant then you could ask them for help doing that.

i don't know how different the american system is to the UK but over here when i went to accident & emergency for etizolam wd they gave me a diazepam taper and got me enrolled in a drug program - they even offered to give me a bed for the night to be monitored but i didn't want to take up a bed for someone who needed it.

you guys pay for your medical bills and stuff right? don't see why they wouldn't helpif you paid them?
maybe see you're GP and book an inpatiet detox instead of just presenting at the main desk?

Benzos are different. Stateside doctors are assholes. I've been in level 10+pain and denied pain meds all because I was in withdrawals and literally was forced to leave so dizzy I almost fainted leaving me either falling down stairs or face planting into the cement for the next hour after I left until I was able to find some heroin to use. Trust me though they didn't deny me for the heroin use, but because they don't give pain meds in hospitals unless you have a broken bone or something. It's bullshit, but it's the way it is.

... Either you've been skipping appointments, abusing the meds, or are lying in some way.

Definitely. Even if the doc passes away one will get the refill and of course - if anything - one would ask the doctors office if going to the ER could be an option or not. But either way, with or without being in treatment, help (more or less) is still available, just a question of personal commitment and priorities. If the help/support offered is not to ones liking or in an acute situation seemingly unavailable then remember "God helps those who help themselves".

You don't know shit... I've spent my life helping myself and others and still I'm a horrible person because I'm not functional anymore. G-d may be inspiration, but doesn't do shit for no one. I quote Futurama "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

I would try to get some kratom or codeine or something to help mitigate the withdrawals. Why wouldn't you have an appointment already scheduled of you were gking to be out of refills and had to see the doc?

tacodude, seems like you don't know the meaning of the saying, it means "doesn't do shit for no one" = you better be ready to do it yourself. But why you're going off like that anyway?

okay i had the same problem..HERES WHAT YOU DO

You go to another doctor...tell him youve been abusing pain meds and that same day they will shoot you some subs...or if you have insurance go to a methadone clinic..if you dont have insurance Methadone is $15 ..let me know how it goes

Can't personally say for opiates, but generally no, the best you can hope for is a visit from a social worker making her rounds who can give you a referral.
They'll stabilize you and off you go--including still drunk and high on meds they gave. Already stable? You won't leave the waiting room. ER docs don't have time or patience, and I think you need more than a script for suboxone. [big city county hospital ER; maybe a slow night in a smaller town . . . ?]

You need to check what programs your county has. You won't like them and they will come with strings, otherwise it's an insanely pricey stay at a private place.

Please don't make up injuries to get drugs or dick around pharmacists, it fucks us all over, even if just because of fear of making a junkie content.

Pain management doesn't work like this. I've had plenty of schedule II scripts and if the doc can't see you, they'll still fill it when you're due. Either you've been skipping appointments, abusing the meds, or are lying in some way.

The story doesn't add up, and I'll tell you this much, the ER sure as shit isn't going to give you any opioids. They may be willing to sedate you and monitor you to keep you from seizing.

This^

If you're telling the truth then yes, they will fill your script/print you one if needed, but expect them to assume you're abusing them and risk being taken off them. I heard a story about a woman with non small cell lung cancer that had metastasised to her brain who was in a hospice. She came up 4 15mg morphine sulphate pills short and they cancelled her prescription, took her out of the hospice and confiscated her respirator which was on loan from the hospice. That's what's so fucked up about the US, they overprescribed because doctors used to get paid to fill out as many scripts as possible, they used up 80% of all the oxycodone in the world, and then when they realised what they'd done they cut back massively. Now they'll barely write scripts for pain meds at all, even if someone's about to die. That's what makes me glad about the NHS, if you're terminally ill they don't care anymore, they pump you full of diamorphine and make your last few weeks enjoyable

That's what makes me glad about the NHS, if you're terminally ill they don't care anymore, they pump you full of diamorphine and make your last few weeks enjoyable

praise be to our healthcare system and praise be to the NHS heroin.
we are truly blessed

"sorry no appointments and can't refill unless you see doctor".

Someone above disagreed, but in California, that's how Schedule II works now (there are state AND federal schedules, vicodin is CII in California). Every CII bottle you get says zero refills.

A pharmacist told me it would just make docs write a single six-month script, so some folks would literally get a bottle of over a thousand pills. No WAY that's gonna cause problems.

Of course, all to keep some dastardly junkie from holding his bowels.

But hey, look at this as an opportunity to readjust your tolerance! It'll be fun.