• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Will tapering off Oxycodone make it so I can quit without withdrawals?

pocketsevens

Bluelighter
I just had 4 days of miserable withdrawals and this morning it still wasn't getting any better. So when it was finally time for my script to be refilled, I did what I said I wasn't gonna do and, well, refilled it.

I want to get off Oxy for good, but I can't deal with the withdrawals. So does tapering down actually work, or just prolong withdrawal symptoms?

Also can the damage Oxycodone does to your brain (fucking with your neurotransmitter receptors) be repaired? Can I ever go back to the person I was before this?

I wish I had never met this seductress.

Has anyone out there ever gotten clean by tapering off? If so, please share your experience. Thanks.

Depends on how high the dose is that you've been using every day. But, in general, doing a taper will at the very least make the withdrawals way less intense. If you do a very long taper it's possible you can avoid withdrawals.

"Can I ever go back to the person I was before this?"

I would say that's up to you.

You are you, oxy can't take that away. If you can taper, you just prolong the discomfort. Rip off the band aid, and get off it. Wanting to us most of the battle.

I agree with then that Cold Turkey gets it over with the fastest, but I did a heroin taper once and I definitely felt like withdrawals weren't as bad. As for whether or not you can go back the same person you were before, of course you can. You're your own person, so it's up to you whether or not you want to be like you were before. But you have to want it and be willing to change for it.