• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Will taking Kratom before Suboxone cause precipitated withdrawal?

Ready2LiveAgain

Greenlighter
Hey all,

First time poster, but I’ve read many posts on the site in the past for opiate detox advice.

I have searched, but have not been able to find an exact answer to the question I have.

I am starting detox today (about 10 hours in so far), from a 1-2 gram a day Fentanyl binge.

I took some Kratom this morning, and plan on taking more Kratom throughout the day until around the 24-30 hour mark (since taking Fentanyl), to then safely take Suboxone to avoid any precipitated withdrawals.

My question is, does anyone know if taking Kratom before Suboxone can also cause precipitated withdrawals? Please let me know your thoughts / experiences with taking suboxone AFTER kratom.

Your help and insight is greatly appreciated!!

Also, my apologies if this is not the correct thread, I was not sure exactly where best to post. Please let me know if it should be moved to another thread.

Hey all,

First time poster, but I’ve read many posts on the site in the past for opiate detox advice.

I have searched, but have not been able to find an exact answer to the question I have.

I am starting detox today (about 10 hours in so far), from a 1-2 gram a day Fentanyl binge.

I took some Kratom this morning, and plan on taking more Kratom throughout the day until around the 24-30 hour mark (since taking Fentanyl), to then safely take Suboxone to avoid any precipitated withdrawals.

My question is, does anyone know if taking Kratom before Suboxone can also cause precipitated withdrawals? Please let me know your thoughts / experiences with taking suboxone AFTER kratom.

Your help and insight is greatly appreciated!!

Also, my apologies if this is not the correct thread, I was not sure exactly where best to post. Please let me know if it should be moved to another thread.

I have heard conflicting reports about kratom precipitated withdrawal. I think it depends on how much kratom you are taking. I do think that might be a little to early to take suboxone after Fent and with the kratom. Most people on here report not being able to take subs until several days after stopping Fent.

Interesting as Fent is described on a lot of sites as being short-acting, but the last time I detoxed I waited about 22 hours after my last fent use and still had precipitated withdrawals.

I guess the half-life is longer for fent even though it’s high is short?

I do have a fast metabolism...so I’m thinking maybe around 30hrs would be safe?

Again, any insight on people’s past experience is much appreciated!

I have mixed buprenorphine and kratom in the past without experiencing precipitated withdrawal. But I don't want to advise you to do so and have you end up getting sick. Take my experience with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I wouldn't but the reports are mixed. I have a feeling the answer depends on a few factors. Dose, strain, metabolism ect.

Thank you for the responses.

As an update, I took 10 red bali kratom capsules about 10 hours after my last fent use along with a 1mg benzo. Felt relatively fine for most of the day (runny nose, lethargic, the shits), but overall not horrible.

I started to read up on the Bernese Method, and so around 20 hours since last fent use I took a very small suboxone sliver (maybe 0.25), and felt fine. I then followed it with a very small bump of fent (maybe ~.3), and had zero PWD! Just slight hot/cold chills and body aches but very mild.

I plan to take another benzo tonight with some gabapentin to sleep for a few hours hopefully.

In the AM I am going to take another micro dose of suboxone, and then another very small fent bump.

My plan is to slowly increase the suboxone over the next few days while slowly decreasing the fent until I can feel comfortable just with the subs.

From what I have read, allowing the fent & sub to be “roommates” initially without having the sub entirely kick out the fent all at once has worked for many people, and although only 1 day in so far it seems to be working. I still am able to eat and function (low energy), but that’s really about it.

Really hoping this works because I’ve gone through the nightmare of PWD’s too many times, and they had continued to fuel my fent abuse out of fear.

If this works it really could be a great new way for people to also avoid PWD’s by easing into the transition instead of making the abrupt painful switch.