• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Why is the crack high so brief?

arredwade

Bluelighter
Does anyone know the specific reason the highs from freebase or crack are so short-lived? I do not know how they are metabolized but I am wondering why the high is only a few minutes when soft lasts for a good hour.

The quicker the come up the quicker you're gonna notice the crash, probably.
It's also partly by design, turning people into fiends and repeat customers.

Hmm but in comparison to mdma it's very short lived and mdma has quite the come up as well???

cocaine has a very short half life, the compulsion and obsessiveness lies within the substance itself and how it works in the brain.

Hmm but in comparison to mdma it's very short lived and mdma has quite the come up as well???
Its just about the ROA, smoking anything gets the chemical to the brain more rapidly than eating or snorting ever could.
MDMA lasts as long as it does because youre eating it instead of smoking it (As well as containing methamphetamine.)
Smoke that ecstasy and i bet the duration is cut in half. Plain ol cocain has a short high as it is. So it makes sense that base is so brief.

The quicker the come up the quicker you're gonna notice the crash, probably.
It's also partly by design, turning people into fiends and repeat customers.

Well it's not by design (unless you mean the reason people turn cocaine into crack to sell it), it's just chemistry. Cocaine is quickly metabolized, which is why it lasts so short. Crack is simply cocaine absorbed by the lungs. Anything you smoke will reach peak effects much, much faster, and will also be metabolized and eliminated much faster. So the high is so short because it's an already very short-acting drug that is smoked, so it lasts even shorter, and has a way more intense peak. Basically smoking something compresses the high into a much shorter but more intense peak.

These answers are questionable. The comeup from a shot of meth is near instantaneous, ad banging as crack if you have enough, and the high might be 12 hours.

Maybe it had something to do with dopamine release and re-absorbtion rates working differently with different drugs - but i’m probably wrong.

I had really good crack what lasted half hour it was dead smooth and not a paranoid buzz I get paranoid on comeddown
ITS A WASTE OF MONEY

These answers are questionable. The comeup from a shot of meth is near instantaneous, ad banging as crack if you have enough, and the high might be 12 hours.

But methamphetamine is a long-lasting drug to begin with. Snorted meth arguably lasts *far* longer than coke too. Ditto for oral meth far outlasting oral coke.

From a chemical standpoint, cocaine is an ester, which can be easily cleaved apart by your enzymes, turning the cocaine into a carboxylic acid that is highly polar, and can easily be excreted in your urine. Metabolizing meth, on the other hand, involves the hydroxylation of the phenyl ring and/or the demethylation of the amine; the latter only turns meth into still highly psychoactive amphetamine.

Therefore, it is only logical that cocaine would be far less long-lasting than meth; and when smoking or IV'ing coke (absorbing the whole dose almost instantly) you've compressed that high for maximum intensity and minimum duration.

good crack can last a hour ive had two pipes last me two hors cos i was that twisted might of had something else in tho as i was rlytwisted

Well it's not by design (unless you mean the reason people turn cocaine into crack to sell it), it's just chemistry. Cocaine is quickly metabolized, which is why it lasts so short. Crack is simply cocaine absorbed by the lungs. Anything you smoke will reach peak effects much, much faster, and will also be metabolized and eliminated much faster. So the high is so short because it's an already very short-acting drug that is smoked, so it lasts even shorter, and has a way more intense peak. Basically smoking something compresses the high into a much shorter but more intense peak.
When i said by "design", yes i was referring to one part of why crack exists at all.

Hezman94 spot on about crack being a waste of money. i'm a fucker for absolutely pissing money away on it and not learning any lessons, i.e. not to buy it in the first place. that's addiction in a nutshell though, we know the drugs are for the most part shit, but we still take them anyway !