• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why have I never experienced Benzo Withdrawal?

RaizdByWolvz

Bluelighter
I am 36 years old and am prescribed xanax since 2009. In 2009 I was prescribed 90, 2mg bars each month and back then I used to blow through them but I'd still be taking 3 to 4mg a day for a few weeks at a time and never experienced any withdrawal symptoms. Since 2011, I have taken them daily about 1mg a day. 5 days ago I just stopped taking my xanax as I want to lower my tolerance and to get to a point where I'm taking 1mg 2 times a week, really just as needed as they are supposed to be taken... Well it's been 5 days and I feel great not one symptom of withdrawal, not a bit of rebound anxiety, why have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms from benzodiazepines?

The same reason some people get seizures and some people don't after stopping. People's bodys are extremely different. It's not that everyone coming off benzos gets withdrawal. It's that withdrawing benzos over a large group of people is significantly more likely then withdrawing a placebo to cause negative effects.

1mg a day isn't a huge dose. If you were pushing more than 2 I would expect some withdrawal. It's reasonable that you didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms.

Count yourself lucky and put that stuff behind you if you are able.

^ that, also do you drink alcohol? that could be mitigating any WD feelings.

Agree 1mg a day is not a massive amount. Fwiw I was on 1.5 mg a day for a year and never withdrew.

Like I always say, be cause benzo withdrawal in severely dependent people is so horrendous, people taking modest amounts of a benzo read horror stories online then come here like "omg I took 2mg Ativan once for a panic attack. Am I going to seizure?"

I mean 1mg a day for years could elicit withdrawals for sure but IMO nothing horrendous.

Count your blessings.

For sure, I count myself very lucky as I've been through countless heroin withdrawals and cold turk'd 130mg methadone and couldn't imagine anything worse which I've heard a benzo withdrawal can be. Just going to use my benzos on as needed basis going forward