• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids why dont they just legalize codeine?

You can convert codeine to something better? I probably should not know about that but that's cool.
well shit man people who are going to do it are going to do it and end up thrill seeking forever with or without legal codeine. it sounds mean but im the reponsible one who didnt abuse drugs and IM the one being punished. ive seen people who nod all day with needles in their arms you arent gonna fix them or make them any worse and they just hand them suboxone like fucking candy anyways. we've come so far from nature you cant even find raw opium latex anymore its literally fent or suboxone and thats so fucked to me you dont even understand.

opium is addictive but really whos going to die from just smoking that? no one. we need some real opiate shit let people grow their own poppies

Codine is legal in my country otc but it has caffeine in it.
Oddly enough I don't know anyone who abuses it.
Thankfully (or not because it's a disease) I get hydromorh prescribed but even our methadone clinics give hydromorh and diamorph to people that methadone don't work on.

Codine is legal in my country otc but it has caffeine in it.
Oddly enough I don't know anyone who abuses it.
Thankfully (or not because it's a disease) I get hydromorh prescribed but even our methadone clinics give hydromorh and diamorph to people that methadone don't work on.
consider yourself lucky. i get migraines and would kill for something like that.

it sounds mean but im the reponsible one who didnt abuse drugs and IM the one being punished.
No dude. You've told us that you enjoy taking codeine recreationally every once in while and that you enjoy the high. That is considered to be abuse as well even though it might be less severe. You're far from being a victim on this one.

Where I live anyone can get free 8mg dillies from the government. I knew of people getting 30 of them a day just to stay away from street drugs. I never took advantage of this, I am happy with my suboxone but it does show me the government is starting to think different.

oh yeah, in response to the OP question: they won't legalize codeine because the government doesn't actually care about us or have our best interest in mind.
Like it's been said before, codeine is perfectly legal in the US. It just requires a prescription.
Don't know why people say "legalise" when they mean "make available without a prescription".
Illegal drugs are drugs like heroin etc. which your US government considers not to have any medical use.

consider yourself lucky. i get migraines and would kill for something like that.
Opiates do fuck all for real migraines, and believe me as a chronic migraine sufferer who has a decent script for opiates.

Triptans, i.e., Sumatriptan will usually resolve a migraine within about 2 hours.
I am prescribed codeine by my GP here in the UK (but I use a wide variety of opioids besides mere codeine) and yes, codeine is very weak and does very little for pain.
I find opioids very ineffective for normal headaches or migraines. Best medication for normal headaches is a NSAID and for migraine triptans. Opioids are overrated by those who don't use them for pain on a regular basis.
I had a terrible back pain two weeks ago that forced me to go sick from work and no methadone or hydromorphone or morphine amount made it any better... The backache finally got better by itself after two weeks thankfully. I was completely unable to even bend slightly.

Where I live anyone can get free 8mg dillies from the government. I knew of people getting 30 of them a day just to stay away from street drugs. I never took advantage of this, I am happy with my suboxone but it does show me the government is starting to think different.
Seriously? 240 mgs of Dilaudid a day. Damn.

Who needs street drugs with that kind of availability.

When you can bang an 8 mg dilly 30 times a day, who needs methadone.

Jesus, that's a high dose for maintainence.

Seriously? 240 mgs of Dilaudid a day. Damn.

Who needs street drugs with that kind of availability.

When you can bang an 8 mg dilly 30 times a day, who needs methadone.

Jesus, that's a high dose for maintainence.
Yeah, I imagine it took a lot of bullshitting "I'm not feeling anything yet" to the doctor to get that high. I wonder if that fucking line is one of the reasons suboxone is prescribed 5x more than what is required for it to be effective.

Also, this isn't even necessarily for maintenance. Some people were on dillies and methadone. I kind of assumed methadone was for maintenance, and dillies were for, well the high. I mean if maintenance isn't enough to keep people off drugs, you can take a principles stand, let them OD and then pay the hospital bill, or just give them whatever they need to get high and not die. These are just my assumptions, again, I don't know exactly how the system works.

I wonder if that fucking line is one of the reasons suboxone is prescribed 5x more than what is required for it to be effective.
I don't know what's the real reson behind this but personally i feel like the high doses of bupe work better to keep my cravings at bay. Also the higher dosing prevents a lot more efficiently the use of other opioids on top of bupe (blocking effect).

Oh, do you live in the U.S.?

I'd check out a local methadone clinic or something just so if *touch wood* the worst does happen, you'll have a plan and won't have to suffer withdrawal (and methadone is VERY effective for chronic pain, too).
I tried methadone to get off 100g/day kratom habit and found it ineffective for 24 hour pain relief and was using kratom in afternoon/ evening for pain relief. When methadone is prescribed for pain it's generally prescribed 3x daily and not the once daily dose used for maintenance.

I assume you're talking about Canada?
To get hydromorh for maintenance you have to have multiple ods, highest methadone dose not working for YEARS and go every day-no carries. Sometimes multiple times a day..it's not easy to get and they don't give 30 a day

I tried methadone to get off 100g/day kratom habit and found it ineffective for 24 hour pain relief and was using kratom in afternoon/ evening for pain relief. When methadone is prescribed for pain it's generally prescribed 3x daily and not the once daily dose used for maintenance.

I was given it twice a day or maybe that's why it worked for me? And I had it in tablet form, which you can "feel" working a lot more than the liquid.

To get hydromorh for maintenance you have to have multiple ods, highest methadone dose not working for YEARS and go every day-no carries. Sometimes multiple times a day..it's not easy to get and they don't give 30 a day

I can't imagine any legitimate medical professional prescribing 240mg Hydromorphone a day. That's enough to kill even most addicts.

All I know is the street price went from $20 for one to $1.50 for one, and whenever I go to buy some people ask me in a state of confusion 'why don't you just go get your own?', as in why would I pay for them when I can get them for free. I didn't want to be part of that system, so admittedly I don't know, but the market is clearly flooded.

I dont have direct evidence for 30, just heard that through the grapevine, but I do for 22, because I was buying from a guy who got that. He would call me up everyday trying to sell them.

Last edited:
I can't imagine any legitimate medical professional prescribing 240mg Hydromorphone a day. That's enough to kill even most addicts.
maybe IV. Even I was doing 22 a day nasally for a while there. and I dont even use fent on a regular basis. my regular dose is 10mg bupe. So 30 a day I totally believe.

my dad who has cancer and has basically zero opioid tolerance was taking around 70mg a day at one point, though he's down closer to 10 now. So 240mg a day for a street addict, not that unbelievable either, though my jaw hit the floor when I first heard it too. I think it was mostly because I was used to the PRICE being $20 for one pill. Once I got used to them being everywhere, it seemed less ridiculous.

Again SPECULATION: but the current philosophy around drugs policy lead to the opioid epidemic, I don't see why a different angle is totally out there.

Last edited:
Do you know they are definitely going to? Unless they have very good reason to suspect you abuse it or are doing something illegal, I don't think they *can* just do that to you?
Oh, MDs can and will, for many reasons, pull you off of an opiod/opiate, and it is not necessarily always contingent upon suspected abuse of the drug. For example, if they believe that they have been over-prescribing or on the radar as one that appears to be doing so, in the name of not losing their license to practice, they have and will give you a small supply, a taper schedule, and have you go off of them. This can be especially true if you do not have a obvious, medically diagnosed condition that indicates opiates, you were on a course of treatment that has reached the end of the line (in terms of prescribing guidelines), and either offer a non opiate pain med regimen that includes any other pain medication other than opiates.

I get that there are ethical questions here, of course, but this is way more common than you think. I work with doctors from pain clinics who are now very hesitant to put someone on a regimen of some opiates simply because of the level of perceived risk to them and their practice, and having had countless people become enslaved to them and have to deal with that, and as much as they should, they don't want to deal with it for the most part. I know one pain clinic Anesthesiologist who most of the time refuses to prescribe hard hitting opiates to anyone but patients who are dealing with very obvious and painful conditions. In fact, even if you have a significant back issue that you've been getting pain meds for for "too long", they will start to offer up other interventions, including surgery if when indicated.

I know lots of doctors, and while there are still some that prescribe more liberally than others, they often have a very short leash with pain medication. Even in ERs these days the amount of drug seekers that come in looking to get pain meds are plentiful, and often treated rather harshly, which again, I do not agree with, but doctors in general are on high alert when it comes to opiates. Back in the 90s they handed out Oxycontin and Hydrocodone like it was going out of style, and those days are long over. The prescribing of opiates is one of the most overseen facets of being a practicing MD at this point, which they are acutely aware of. Again, I have my issues with all of it, but it is real after working in a hospital for a long time.