• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Why does ritalin seem to work inconsistently for me?

glab

Bluelighter
I don't really understand it. I mean on some days I take 20mg Ritalin LA and then I feel weak and jittery and have a high pulse.
On other days I can take 40mg and feel no huge side effects. How can this be explained? It sucks. I don't even know how much I could or should take
cause adhd-wise it doesn't make me feel any better. If I had no side effects I would simply go higher but since I get side effects I dont think going higher
and then hoping for an effect would be wise.

Look up what messes with the metabolism of Ritalin like certain foods, drinks and etc.

Taking it on after or before eating will have different effects. Not having a proper sleep schedule and not getting enough sleep combined with chronic Ritalin use will bring on all the negative aspects of it as well.

How do you take it? I was prescribed it in low doses both instant release, and extended release.

It always worked when I took it orally.

One time I decided to snort 15mg just to see what it was like. I discovered I didn't like putting any powder up my nose, and since I took it at night I just stayed up reading. Only sometimes the Ritalin would work, and other times during the night it would feel as though it was not working at all, and I would go between both states.

What's your prescribed dose OP? If 20mgs feel jittery (and the likes) for you, you've most likely just taken too much, so it's a question if you take it as your Doc said or as you want it to, because if it's the latter, it's the main reason for such inconsistent FX.

Furthermore it's important to take it regularly during the Beginning of taking it, ~2-3 Weeks (i'd say 3 at most), after which most/all side-effects disappear completely (for most ppl at least). This includes Rebound, Stomach issues, insomnia etc.

Using it recreationally is, of course, with prolonged intake a surefire way to make it useless and if you're diagnosed ADD/ADHD it's rather sooner than later making this Medication useless, but even when taking it every day (what most ppl with ADD/ADHD do), take breaks in between dosage for a day if you think it's tolerance related. It will of course be tolerance with time, making it sometimes not work right/almost completely, but not if you take just a short break within your therapy with this Med.

It all depends on your biology and chemistry.

IMHO Ritalin only works for like 15-50 minutes then leaves me all agitated and frustrated.

Hello,
I started with time-released ritalin products. 5mg, then 10mg, then 20mg.
But the problem is that it doesn't make me feel calm or focused. EITHER I feel nothing and then if I go higher I may feel jittery or aggitated.
But the clarity doesn't come. Ritalin feels like drinking a lot of coffee but this isn't what I am looking for.

Do you really have to take the same dose every day for weeks in order to see if it works? I never did that. I was told if it works then it works instantly.
I am also not somebody who is good at doing things systematically. I mean if it's THAT hard to figure out if ritalin even works then it sucks. I thought once
you take the right dose you simply sense that it works. This is what my doc also told me he said a curtain will lift. But my curtain does not lift. :(