• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Why does codeine so consistently give me a strong stimulant effect?

bluejeans

Greenlighter
I'll get a bit of tiredness after 6 hours of a 60mg dosage - but after that, I can stay awake another 20. Nobody has been able to explain why this happens, even my doctor. Daily meds are:

Mirtazipine 30mg
Seroquel 800mg
Valium 10mg
Tramadol 50mg

This didn't happen before I was on seroquel. But rohypnol also caused me to be awake like this.

Does your codeine contain caffeine? It can really add up if you are using recreational dosages. The codeine can overpower the caffeine at first - but its shorter acting - so you can be left with a lot of residual stimulation once the codeine itself wears off.

I'll get a bit of tiredness after 6 hours of a 60mg dosage - but after that, I can stay awake another 20. Nobody has been able to explain why this happens, even my doctor. Daily meds are:

Mirtazipine 30mg
Seroquel 800mg
Valium 10mg
Tramadol 50mg

This didn't happen before I was on seroquel. But rohypnol also caused me to be awake like this.

I'm always curious to put subjective effects of downstreams effectors relative to upstream cognitive states - and what you describe is so counter intuitive it's actually farcical.

Serious question but, to get some perspective on your cognitive state/disposition, could you post a recent'ish picture of yourself?

I find opiates in general almost always gave me energy. I rarely nodded as a heroin addict and have only gotten to any real down point on fentanyl. A good opiate rush was always invigorating to me. Not the same way a stim is, but all the same.

I used to fucking love heroin.

With the exception of MS Contin, (morphine sulfate), which I discontinued due to the serious nod it caused, I have found all opiates to provide me with an energy boost. I tend to believe this is related to the euphoria (dopamine, I think?) but I know zero about all the chemistry of these things and can only tell you what I know from my own experience.