• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why does alcohol temporarily take Opiate WD's away?

I feel sorry for everyone who can't drink thier w/ds away. A freind of mine was bad into it.Agression was about to make him kill someone and didn't care who.He got me some whiskey. and it helped. He has not had a hangover in decades.Another plus is the time goes by very quickly until that sweet ups guy knocks on ur door in exactly 96 hours from now. Hang over? who gets a hangover f they stay drunk 3 days? "Line from a movie". I seriously would recommend a glass flu of water for every pull off the jug.And yes indeedy it helps with w/d's. He cannot take valium, for some reason he become psychotic. Thanks for the posts ..

I found alcohol to be one of the worst drugs to take during withdrawal. I already am nauseous enough without adding alcohol to the mix not to mention it makes diarrhea worse as well. It also makes the crippling and near psychotic depression i get during withdrawal much worse as well. Also a hangover when in opiate withdrawal is a fucking nightmare to say the least as the raw anxiety of the hangover is coupled with the anxiety of opiate withdrawal. Nothing short of a massive amount of benzos helps me when i am stupid enough to drink while in withdrawal.

Interestingly, alcohol and benzos share some receptor sites, and often benzos are given to someone suffering dangerous withdrawal from alcohol.

Everyone's biochemistry is unique, and so I could see how alcohol might seem to lift some opiate wd symptoms and others prefer benzos for that help.

Correct that the other effects of alcohol, like dehydration, aren't going to be helpful to you during withdrawal!

Also remember that some lucky people (I'm one of them) don't get nausea and vomiting in opi wd.

But yeah, for HR purposes, binging on alcohol will make you feel worse in the end if you overdo it, and can make you DANGEROUSLY dehydrated. And benzos should be used sparingly as well, lest you trade one problem for another, and/or take enough to risk seizures after opi wd ends and you come off benzos.

Peace.

I don't know what size habit your are withdrawing from but unless I am drinking to blackout levels its not providing much relief from opiate w/d. And then I am pretty sure you'd be waking up to top yourself because that'd have to be about the worst a human being could feel.

If for any reason its an NMDA antagonist. So same reason why some people say DXM or ketamine do the same thing.

Hungover plus detoxing?! No Thank You!!!!! Pass on that one!

Alongside vitamins/herbal supplements (esp chelated Mg, B-complex, l-tyrosine, l-lysine), benzodiazepines with potent muscle relaxation i.e. clonazepam and diazepam preferably, cannabis, water, gatorade: I think that alcohol can help ease my mind and as others have mentioned the ability to ignore excruciating physical aspects of WD. In combination with the other substances I mentioned, it can allow some euphoria through a hellish time. Although, in the spirit of HR, I don't condone mixing alcohol with benzos. Just something that helps me A LOT during opi WD's.

I drank A LOT while kicking a 70mg daily methadone MMT regimen, without alcohol and benzo's I probably would've overdosed on heroin or killed myself from the pummeling depression and pain, not to mention the duration (3-4 weeks for me with horrid PAWS).

It doesnt work for me, just makes it worse. if you want cheap relief from withdrawals to hold you over until you get some good stuff. Stock up on lyrica, gabapentin or tramadol. Tramadol is a very week opiate but its very affordable and plentiful because theres not a huge demand for them and you gotta take atleast 2-3 at a time 2 or 3 times day and you will feel normal. Otherwise gabapentin and lyrica are very good at masking the effects of it. Loperamide (sp?) the active ingredient in immodium AD and is actually an opoid, but you need to eat a whole box to feel any better, it wont get you high either, and if you take that much you wont shit for 4 days. Never been a fan of immodium or alcohol for withdrawals. how ever I do know a girl that says it works for her, guess everyones different

I can attest to the withdrawal and hang over is terrible. I had a 4th of july party a few years back when I was an addict. The party was great and we all had a great time and I was even able to score in the morning because I wasnt broke but the lack of preparedness sucked. Upon waking up in the hot summer hung over I had to go cop to not feel sick. I just remember it being humid me being hungover and sick in a hot car sitting on the side of the road, not much in life can prepare you for the way that feels.

I would completely avoid it if you can. I would imagine a high dose of benzos would produce similar effects without a hang over, though I dont really recommend either

Still, its odd that it provides even those fleetings moments of relief because it definitely does..

Um, why do you think it is odd? It's exactly as one would expect. It's common knowledge that alcohol makes you feel better for a little while and then worse after that. Why would it be any different in wd?

The only times I have ever drank in withdrawal was if I did not have enough opiates to make it through the day, but knew I was getting more the next day. Then I would save the opiates I had and drink a few beers to take my mind off withdrawal. Once the alcohol euphoria would wear off, I would then take the opiates, thus making my opiate stash last longer by skipping over a few hours of withdrawal through drink. It was never a very successful plan, because I would never be able to hold off on taking the opiates for very long.

Ok. here comes them annoying newbie qestions again. What does HR mean?I'm not a drinker hardly at all. But my friend suggested it once.He says it's helpd him for along time. decads of w/d. So I tried it. I felt great for a little while.But it was just outta desperatio I tried his method. The next day I had w/d again and a hangover. It wasn't reccommended...

Ok. here comes them annoying newbie qestions again. What does HR mean?I'm not a drinker hardly at all. But my friend suggested it once.He says it's helpd him for along time. decads of w/d. So I tried it. I felt great for a little while.But it was just outta desperatio I tried his method. The next day I had w/d again and a hangover. It wasn't reccommended...

Harm Reduction.

I don't like alcohol during opiate withdrawals. It intensifies every negative emotion I'm already feeling. That's an effect that I always feel from alcohol, WDs or not. It also makes me sweat, which something that I already do a lot of.

Do you tink maybe drinking alot less instead of embibbing until ur w/d symptoms are completely gone?\ would help with the bad hangover? 1 good thing about using Alcohol it made the time pss much much faster. That was defenitely 1 thing I needed. When u drink during w/d will taking vitamens become alot more Important because of how alcohol robs you of them?. Thank you in advance.

ime it doesnt.. i never drink during wd if i can help it..these days anyway. but sometimes shit sucks and you want a drink i get that too haha

I've never drank during w/ds b4 but this time around I'm desperate b/c its the hardest kick I've had to date so i drank 3 glasses of wine about 2 hours ago and during the time of drinking the wine i felt absolutely great, sweating stopped and i was able to stop kicking my legs it was fucking great… but now its starting to wear off and I'm sweating profusely again…

if we had more wine i would be drinking until i passed out but unfortunately that is not the case. so yea in summary i thinking alcohol deff helps, that is only if u keep the buzz going.

Just like benzos help take away opiate withdrawal, & so do muscle relaxants, of course I'm not talking about heavy opiate use like s gram a day heroin or snorting (4) 40mg opanas a day......I'm more talking about a habit of 70mgs a day vicodin or oxycodone.

I have solved the mystery of disappearing pain pills. The day I fill them, there's more then plenty. with in a week I can see the bottom of the bottle already. It turns out that every single pill bottle I have from the pharmacy has this large hole in it up top.When ya take the lid off they just simply pour out. Mystery solved.

Can anyone relate to this? I am trying to make a cheerful posts whenever I can. I think everyone can use a laugh now and then.

I suppose the alcohol simply makes you more relaxed and "loose".

with that said i do enjoy a few drinks while kicking opiates.

ALcohol does work on ur mu opiate receptors. That's why ya catch a buzz. But i've only used it from small dose w/d's i don't think it'd help a 5 bag a day heroine iv user. I highly reccomend Kratom. It mimicks my Hydrocodones very well.The only thing about it was , even tho I felt much much better from the w/d all day long my body felt as if there was something missing. Some chemical i needed that wasn't there..

God this sounds like the worst idea ever, not that I haven't considered it, but getting a hangover in addition to withdrawals symptoms seems like hell

My habit was a moderate one of about 2 months. It dehydrated me more, but the well being and ability to use my legs for a night was well well worth it. Helped potentiate the spice I was using to help as well.

My run was pretty short though. Wasn't vomiting at all.

Probably won't help you now but kratom really is a god send. It gets horrid eating all that powder so make a tea. I was using 10-15 gram batches of tea at a time and it really really helped. Actually made me feel much better and getting through work was infinitely easier. Again I wasn't vomiting and adding that to the mix would make it very difficult. All though taking large swig of tea throughout the day truly helps and I would deeply recommend it.

Last edited: