• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why does alcohol temporarily take Opiate WD's away?

Opiate WD's + Hangover + wake up in a bush and realize there was shit you didn't notice = bad morning

I'm almost completely intolerant to alcohol in any form - beer, wine, liquor - when I'm in any stage of withdrawal and can't enjoy it until I'm completely back to homeostasis.

I've drank many times in the attempt to alleviate dope-sickness, but I've always found the negatives to outweigh the positives in the end. Example: When I am sick and take a few shots, or chug a table glass of wine (beer is completely off of the table), I'll get some relief of psychological/physical symptoms, but this is always short-lived. After the drink goes down, provided it stays there, I get the usual acute effects of a strong buzz which lasts for 15-30 minutes followed by a near instantaneous crash. I'd compare it to how a hangover feels. Once the alcohol wears off completely, I'm left in worse shape than I was previously; more nausea, intensified akathisia/RLS accompanied with a general feeling of malaise in conjunction with the already shitty malaise brought on by withdrawal.

I've heard and read of others experiencing similar issues. In a very acute sense, alcohol does improve the way I feel. Alcohol has a wonderful ability to numb the senses, which is welcomed during withdrawal. Alcohol, it's the oldest or second oldest "medicine" known to man and for many cultures was the only form of anaesthesia/analgesia available. I can see the short-term benefits in its use, but when you're sick and already undernourished, underslept etc. the insult to the body seems to be magnified.

Anybody think this has something to do with the fact that in severe opiate withdrawal you are simply desperate to change the way you feel by any means necessary?

I always found a sick comfort in knowing that for the most part, things couldn't get much worse. At that point it's all about how crafty I can be at alleviating the symptoms. For me it's more the psychological effects of going out and having a few beers with some friends that aren't addicts. They obviously can't find out that im fuckin withdrawing my ass off from opiates. So there's no talking about it. Putting negativity in the air has always compounded my problems. Not talking about withdrawal can really help. Especially when it's all you can think about or find yourself discussing with for example, a fellow addict in withdrawal. I use mild to moderate amounts of alcohol to rejoin a more "normal" group of friends for a few nights and reintegrate myself into some semblance of a social situation. Boom- immediately puts a big dent in the suicidal ideation I might be feeling when im welcomed by a group of goofy, light hearted friends getting tipsy on some wine or cheap beer.

I avoid hangovers as much as possible obviously, which for me means drinking as little of the strongest or best quality booze I can find. It will absolutely compound diarrhea and other nasty GI withdrawal parties going on in my science experiment of a stomach (more like a smoldering active volcano) but that's the nature of the beast. I drink lightly the next morning and try to drink lightly throughout all of withdrawal to help my mental symptoms. Remember, we are talking about the point where physical symptoms really can't get much worse. I mean sure I might be able to down some benadryl and want to REALLY REALLY rip my legs off instead of just SERIOUSLY CONTEMPLATING ripping my legs off but.... You get the point. If I can get some mental relief from a little alcohol, Im certainly desperate enough.

Which leads to my question.. For those of you that say alcohol helps your withdrawal symptoms, are your most nightmarish symptoms mental?

And for those of you who "avoid alcohol like the plague," are your most hated symptoms physical?

I can deal with the physical symptoms all day. It's the depression that gets me.

^Great question there at the end man. My withdrawal is mostly physical, with RLS/akathisia being the most consistent and prominent symptoms.

There are definitely psychological symptoms; depression and anxiety. But the incessant electric feeling in my body is the most unbearable and dealing with this and lack of sleep leaves me feeling much worse mentally.

Alcohol definitely exacerbates all of these feelings.

I agree. But then again I'm not having it "help take them away forever" I am only using alcohol while I'm in between not having opiates so I guess maybe it wouldn't work if u weren't gonna have opiates again but if u were looking to have them taken lightly away while u wait to get something else then yes it works great

I feel like it's worth reiterating that alcohol use while in Opiate withdrawal has the potential to make you feel sooooo much worse. It's like experiencing the hangover right after the short-lived buzz/warmth is over, in full addition to your Opiate withdrawal.

I had to take a plane from NYC to Ataturk in Istanbul and was already feeling sick waiting for my plane. I ended up drinking 3 double Scotches while waiting. I felt good for about 45 minutes... then I got on the plane, vomited before we took off and spent ~15hrs in agony. It really was one of the worst experiences of my life. On top of feeling super-shitty, there was this strange psychological component of being up in the air without any possibility for relief that really made me lose my shit.

If you are inexperienced with alcohol during withdrawal, I would recommend not drinking at all and if not possible, limiting yourself to at most 2 standard drinks.

ugghh when i was in heroin withdrawals, i tried drinking beer or vodka and found it to be unbearable..when i was dopesick i could hardly drink water or juice much less nasty tasting alcohol!

I feel like it's worth reiterating that alcohol use while in Opiate withdrawal has the potential to make you feel sooooo much worse. It's like experiencing the hangover right after the short-lived buzz/warmth is over, in full addition to your Opiate withdrawal.

I had to take a plane from NYC to Ataturk in Istanbul and was already feeling sick waiting for my plane. I ended up drinking 3 double Scotches while waiting. I felt good for about 45 minutes... then I got on the plane, vomited before we took off and spent ~15hrs in agony. It really was one of the worst experiences of my life. On top of feeling super-shitty, there was this strange psychological component of being up in the air without any possibility for relief that really made me lose my shit.

If you are inexperienced with alcohol during withdrawal, I would recommend not drinking at all and if not possible, limiting yourself to at most 2 standard drinks.

this would have been my experience as well but there are many who do use alchol to get through opiate withdrawals..Steven Tyler and Joe perry of aerosmith said when they were dopesick they would drain the mini bar in order to be able to get up on stage to play a concert..no fucking idea how they did it..i would have felt like death..