• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Why does alcohol make people assholes ??

Yeah I have always noticed that alcohol just brings the arsehole out of people, rather than put it in.

I think it really comes down to, at least with some people, they believe that being drunk gives them the excuse to actually speak their mind. One night they're pissed out of their mind, telling you how much of a dick they think you are, which is probably true. The next morning they have the out of "Oh I didn't mean that, I was just drunk" when in reality there's a lot of truth to it and they're frankly just too cowardly to healthily confront their negative feelings with people. <--- Of course this all speculation, just a thought really.

I remember on my 19th birthday, dropped some acid, had a free house and all my closest friends were just sort of hanging around chilling with me.
I just have this distinct memory, of being outside, and this friend of mine was just being such a dick as he was pissed out of his mind, but he was always that way but the alcohol made it worse, and the LSD on my end made it just extremely obvious and irritating as I didn't understand why he felt the need to be such a douchey prick.

Of course, ultimately I found it to be his problem and not mine and just tried to avoid him. That was until he tried cutting a cigarette with my kitchen blender wand, you can guess which of his bodily fluids ended up all over my kitchen/carpet. Brr, that was really annoying.
Eventually he dropped off the face of the Earth, haven't seen him since October, although his negativity had the tendency to bring my buzz down so to speak, I definitely miss the guy.

Last edited:
I don't necessararily agree that someone who turns into an arse on alcohol was always an arsehole to begin with.

Alcohol lowers impulse control, making you more likely to say shit you normally would've kept inside. But I don't see that negative comments are any more the 'real' you than the normal inhibition you'd show in keeping them to yourself. I think in reality we all think things at times that if came out would make us look like complete dicks, but we keep it inside because most of the time, we don't want to hurt people.

Even despite that, I think that plenty of alcohol's effects work to change you into a more obnoxious, belligerent person whilst on it. When you're drunk your brain is working differently. I think when you're on alcohol it's much easier to misinterpret people's meaning, feel emotions more intensely, live in the 'moment' without consideration for past or future events/consequences, and generally just become slower and dumber at fully comprehending a situation to your best advantage. I think all these things and more can help cause a normally good person to turn into an arsehole, given the right triggers and situation.

I completely agree foots , I was a little confused on why it would just be because people are already assholes , because I'm not and it still very occasionally will do this to me . It has a lot to do with the way it makes you think , what you think and all of the other things I previously stated . However I do know that my brother is generally a self centered asshole ! But he's my brother and I love him .

This is actually one of the most interesting threads I've read in a long time, it allows me to study the personality and psychology of people who drink.
Because generally the majoirty don't do other drugs.

So it really does bring out the whatever-comes-to-your-mind-first thoughts, and those deep thigns you wouldn't normally say, or things that you want to say but are held back.

I see so many people saying "Man that was bs, I was drunk." which I never understood... because people don't just lie out whole stories which relate perfectly... (IME)
Now I feel like getting drunk with people that I want to know more about.

Last edited:
Yes exactly , but also alcohol makes you think in a different way , so those things that are supposedly the truth might not have been the thought process sober . And yes this thread is very good to learn a lot about how alcohol works :) I'm glad I posted what at first seemed to be a 'stupid thread'

Turns me into the happiest person there can be, I become relaxed and just enjoy life. Different drugs effect people differently.

I think it is actually like Crankit said, that when ur truly pissed/sad deep down and then drink, this brings out that dark side...

This is why I don't drink. It makes me feel like shit.
Also, as this thread suggests, it makes people out to be fucking idiots. I learned that at a houseparty when my obnoxious co-worker thought it would be appropriate to yell out that I should go out with the extremely ugly witch that was hitting on me all night. I feel bad calling her a witch, but she is. By god, she is.

Interesting thread... I definitely agree that alcohol simply has the ability to bring out certain characteristics that we normally suppress (consciously or unconsciously) rather then these behaviors or emotions being something directly brought on by alcohol. There are other drugs that can do this as well, in my experience particularly benzodiazepines.

^ must be the effect both have on GABA.

i have acted like an idiot on booze, though this is a rare occurance. Generally I am a happy drunk, and I keep my act together. the few times I have gotten angry, sad or acted like a dick, has been more the response to a situation that has come up at the time. I think with alcohol you just don't have the judgement or the inhibition to handle a situation well if your drunk, so sometimes you can end up doing things you wouldn't normally do when sober.

Plenty of other drugs can cause people to act in obnoxious ways too. Cocaine springs to mind. that drug seems to bring the arsehole in people out also.

One thing I hate is when people use alcohol as an excuse to their actions, rather than admit it. Like partners who cheat and say it was because they were drunk, bullshit, if your not a cheater, regardless of the amount of alcohol you've consumed, you will not cheat.

i agree to an extent , but alcohol does causes lack of inhibition .. still no excuse though agreed

One thing I hate is when people use alcohol as an excuse to their actions, rather than admit it. Like partners who cheat and say it was because they were drunk, bullshit, if your not a cheater, regardless of the amount of alcohol you've consumed, you will not cheat.

100% agree.

^ Also agree. It is no excuse; if you are getting so drunk that you 'have no control over your actions' as would be claimed, then you need to stop drinking and think about what you are doing. People love to try and shift responsibility off themselves.

Yeah people tend to blame everything else except themselves, its a really shitty to do IMO.

We went to a fancy restaurant in the "suit district" on saturday night. The place was packed, alcohol flowed freely, it was loud (probably the only consistent with alcohol users is the volume of conversation and laughter usually increases), many people were drunk but not to the level of falling down and vomitting drunk, yet there wasn't one argument or fight to be seen, not even at the cab rank. Perhaps one or two headed home and beat their wives in the comfort of seclusion but it suggests to me that alcohol is not an evil drug that some people want to paint it as. Sure many would have suffered an hangover the next day, but by Monday morning I'm betting most would be perfectly fine to work/drive. It's a bit rich to suggest all of societies problems are due to the substance, it comes down to individual responsiblity. There are certain personality types I refuse to take lsd with, just as there are many people I avoid drinking with. I guess in time some people learn their poison of choice and some refuse to accept they are not compatible with certain substances.

Bust St Clare said:
Perhaps one or two headed home and beat their wives in the comfort of seclusion but it suggests to me that alcohol is not an evil drug that some people want to paint it as.

Ha ha. :D

I will admit though I tend to have a bias against alcohol, based on experience but you are right you can't paint it with a broad stroke.