• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Why does alcohol make people assholes ??

PeacePipeChief

Bluelighter
I was just thinking , after experiencing first hand on many occasions and tonight for the first time my brother , why does alcohol turn people into assholes ?
Is there a specific thing it does in the brain ?
Or is it just the fact that alcohol makes people ignorant ?
Being a very long time drinker and diagnosed alcoholic I generally try not to become like this , but it still happens on occasions when I drink abit much .

Last edited:
Why does meth make people not sleep? why does acid make people trip? why does alochol make some people getting drunk obnoxious and rude?

Alcohol is just a nother drug with different effects...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was just wondering the more specific reasons why , I agree stupid thread just curious that's all .

<snip>

Why does meth make people not sleep? why does acid make people trip? why does alochol make some people getting drunk obnoxious and rude?

Alcohol is just a nother drug with different effects...

That's not really a fair response. Making people rude isn't an inherent effect of alcohol, a lot of people drink without becoming assholes, or only occasionally become assholes.

It comes down to the disinhibitory effect that alcohol has. If someone is rude or judgmental or arrogant or aggressive deep down, but suppresses it in their day to day life, then the alcohol removes that suppression, allowing those negative traits to come to the forefront. Since problem drinkers tend not to be the happiest people to begin with (thus, the alcoholism), you end up with the stereotype of the angry miserable asshole drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks , I now realize I already knew this but I couldn't put the explanation into words properly , sorry for the stupid thread :/

Sorry PeacePipeChief for the hasty post, I guess I get a little infruiated with (what can be seen) as anti - alcohol posts, when I see a lot of drugs in a similar light - which is that they can be enjoyable and benefical whe taken in the right amounts at the right time.

Also thanks Crankit for that post as after reading it I also believe that when ur truly unhappy/angry on the inside the 'disinhibitory effect that alcohol has' does bring that side to light.

I myself am a strong lover of alcohol and have a very healthy relationship with my friend alcohol (not healthy for my liver though) I find it enjoyable in small , large , any amount really . I am glad to be a person that doesn't get aggressive or (too) rude or arrogant . Wish I could say the same for my brother :/ lol

Ethanol inhibits the ability of glutamate to open the cation channel associated with the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) subtype of glutamate receptors. Stimulated areas include the cortex, hippocampus and nucleus accumbens, which are responsible for thinking and pleasure seeking. Another one of alcohol's agreeable effects is body relaxation, possibly caused by neurons transmitting electrical signals in an alpha waves-pattern; such waves are observed (with the aid of EEGs) when the body is relaxed.

Short-term effects of alcohol include the risk of injuries, violence and fetal damage.[15] Alcohol has also been linked with lowered inhibitions, though it is unclear to what degree this is chemical versus psychological as studies with placebos can often duplicate the social effects of alcohol at low to moderate doses. Some studies have suggested that intoxicated people have much greater control over their behavior than is generally recognized, though they have a reduced ability to evaluate the consequences of their behavior.[16] Behavioral changes associated with drunkenness are, to some degree, contextual.[17][18] A scientific study found that people drinking in a social setting significantly and dramatically altered their behavior immediately after the first sip of alcohol, well before the chemical itself could have filtered through to the nervous system.

Areas of the brain responsible for planning and motor learning are dulled. A related effect, caused by even low levels of alcohol, is the tendency for people to become more animated in speech and movement. This is due to increased metabolism in areas of the brain associated with movement, such as the nigrostriatal pathway. This causes reward systems in the brain to become more active, which may induce certain individuals to behave in an uncharacteristically loud and cheerful manner.

Alcohol has been known to mitigate the production of antidiuretic hormone (ADH), which is a hormone that acts on the kidney, favoring water reabsorption in the kidneys during filtration. This occurs because alcohol confuses osmoreceptors in the hypothalamus, which relay osmotic pressure information to the posterior pituitary, the site of ADH release. Alcohol causes the osmoreceptors to signal that there is low osmotic pressure in the blood, which triggers an inhibition of ADH. As a consequence, one's kidneys are no longer able to reabsorb as much water as they should be absorbing, leading to creation of excessive volumes of urine and the subsequent overall dehydration.

From wikipedia

Everybody responds differently to drinking alcohol so it is not possible to say what effects havng a certain number of drinks has on a person. Instead blood alcohol concentration (BAC) can be used as a guide to what affects alcohol may have on behaviour.

Short-term effects

Alcohol starts to affect the brain within five minutes of being consumed. The BAC peaks about 30-45 minutes after one standard drink is consumed. Rapid consumption of multiple drinks results in higher BAC because the average body can only break down one standard drink per hour.
The effects of alcohol vary depending on a number of factors including:
-type and quantity of alcohol consumed
-age, weight and gender
-body chemistry
-food in the stomach
-drinking experience
-situation in which drinking occurs
-mental health status
-other health conditions made worse by alcohol.

Effects on Behaviour

Dose - Up to .05 g%
Effects - Talkative, Relaxed, More confident

Dose - .08-.15 g%
Effects - Speech slurred, Balance and coordination impaired, Reflexes slowed, Visual attention impaired, Unstable emotions, Nausea, vomiting

Dose - .15-.30 g%
Effects - Unable to walk without help, Apathetic, sleepy, Laboured breathing, Unable to remember events, Loss of bladder control, Possible loss of consciousness

From - dassa

There's something in alcohol that makes all of us act just a little more belligerently and aggressively than we otherwise would, and for some people alcohol can even provoke physical violence.

But why, and why does a drug we take to feel good eventually so often end up creating feelings of anger and even behaviors of aggression?

To answer these questions University of Kentucky psychologist Peter Giancola took a look at drinking in a modeled experiment of aggression. Working from a theory that explains alcohol influenced violence occurring because when drunk, the parts of our brain that operate our working memory are significantly impaired; and we as a result are less able to focus on multiple environmental stimuli simultaneously.

What happens, so the theory postulates, is that we tend to focus only on provocative stimuli, while being unable to concurrently process other environmental stimuli that might calm or mitigate these perceived provocations.

A man may be at a bar and see someone "hitting on his girlfriend" and when drunk enough, may not recognize the other environmental factors that would clearly indicate that the man was actually, for example, an old friend, and he acts without an accurate perception of the reality in an aggressive manner.

To clinically test this alcohol induced theory of aggression, Giancola performed experiments that combined electroshocks and Vodka! He gave some trial participants a number of alcoholic drinks, and others none, and he had the study volunteers face off against one another in a frustrating game task, where the loser received an electro shock of varying intensity from the winner.

As expected, the "drunk" participants consistently gave more intense electro shocks to their opponents than those who had not been drinking. To change the variables slightly, Giancola had the drunken participants also think about a complex mental task while playing the game and delivering the shocks, and found that while concentrating on something other than the game exclusively, the shocks delivered by the drunken participants were significantly less intense.

Giancola explains that by having the drunk game players concentrating on something other than the game and their opponents perceived aggression and provocation, they were more distracted and did not perceive as high a need for an aggressive response; but when focusing solely on the game, the drunken participants focused solely on the aggression of their opponent, and responded with high levels of electro shocks.

Giancola further explains that the drunks that had to concentrate on more than just the game were more similar to a sober person, who has the capacity to absorb multiple environmental variables simultaneously, and does not focus only on perceived aggression and provocation. It's a very interesting theory, and it seems that research backs it up. Our working memory allows us to absorb and process environmental cues effectively, and by being able to simultaneously process a number of environmental variables, the perceived requirement for an aggressive response to a situation is reduced.

From - http://www.troubleblog.com/mean-drunks/why-alcohol-makes-us-mean-angry-drunks-explained-0807423

Hope that helps :)

I think it is actually like Crankit said, that when ur truly pissed/sad deep down and then drink, this brings out that dark side, but if ur happy and lifes good, drinking can just add to that and be an enjoyable pastime.

However heavy heavy drinking can make me angry or violent when I am usually a very peaceful person, also lack of sleep does this to me too tho....

holy shit thanks christ! , thats exactly what i was hoping for . IMO id say it is very much both of the two direct answers i have got here that cause 'people to act like assholes' this thread has generated alot more value than expected :)

Why does alcohol make people assholes ??

I would say it does nothing of the sort. The people were assholes in the first place. In the thousands of times that I have consumed alcohol I would dare say the ratio of negative experiences to positive ones is something like 100:1, 100 positive experiences for every negative one. To maintain such excellent stats though I make it a rule never to get high with assholes. For example dropping acid with a bunch of assholes is one of the stupidest things one can do. It will not make them into better people. Just assholes on acid.

Case in point, a work Christmas party about 12 years ago, everyone was e'ing their brains off and yet they were, at the table I was at, the biggest bunch of fucking assholes I've ever seen. In fact the next day I quit that job because what they did. It was one of the the most sickest and disgusting thing I've ever seen. Basically this pretty average dude had been going out with the office hottie, like he was a 6 and she was so hot she would put Eli to shame. Despite everyone eating MDMA she basically proceeded to openly flirt and pretty much bit by bit crush his heart as she openly started to disclose she was fucking everyone at the table, except for me. Like it was like Indiana Jones and the temple of doom where the priest is ripping the dudes heart out of his chest.

It was so terrible to see, and as it reached the climax this poor dude just started to vomit. The things they said just absolutely destroyed him. It was incredible because they were doing it with a smile and a laugh. They literally made him vomit with just words.

Thus its not the drugs, in fact you would have thought MDMA would have made these people nice and empathetic. No, they were just assholes.

Thanks for ur response and I totally agree , but I have experienced it turning me into an asshole , many others (plus the very detailed evidence above) . So I would say it has to do with the person , mood , setting , other people and amount consumed .

a lot of alcohol + a little amount of time = not so awesome.
just remember to keep it easy on the intake.
you can still get shitfaced, but its pointless consuming your entire supply in the first two hours.
thats what i used to do until i broke down in a drunken rage at my uncles 60th last year (for no apparent reason).
worst. episode. ever.
ive since gained a lot of sense related to alcohol.

Yeah I've been drinking just about daily for the last 3 years , and over this time have had multiple breakdowns . I agree that consumption spaced out is a good idea , how ever I drink fast in general , when I'm thing to its ridiculous , usually people will finish their first drink and I'll open my third . And other alcoholic friends of mine will be half way through their second when I open my third .

you should try control it a little better, especially when you're with your friends.
try keep up with them and not rush ahead. in the end you'll still end up drunk, but you might eliminate the risk of breaking out and looking like a fool to your friends.

Because the people you drink with are arseholes. In wine lies the truth. etc.

No I require more alcohol than them to get drunk , also I hold my shit togeather better than them , and breakdown almos never where as they have episodes every couple of weeks . I don't drink with assholes , I just found out past night my brother is an asshole when drunk , and I've seen a lot of people turn into assholes when drunk . My friends back in Sydney I love drinking with , no assholes , episodes can usually be dealt with quite easily and every goes smoothly .