• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Why does alcohol kick in almost instantly?

AA357

Bluelighter
Why is it that when I take a big gulp of beer, I can feel the effects in 5-10 seconds? I swear I can feel it before it's even hit my stomach - it's pretty amazing.
Does the fact that the ethanol molecule is so small (relative to most drugs) have anything to do with it? For me, most drugs take 10-30 minutes to kick in when taken orally. GHB (which is also quite a small molecule) hits me very quickly, but even that takes about 5 minutes. With alcohol, the speed of onset is comparable to smoking weed - it's almost instantaneous.

Thanks.

Not totally sure, but I understand that ~20% of ethanol is absorbed in the stomach very rapidly. The other ~80% is absorbed in the intestine. This first initial kick is probably responsible for why people experience the effects of alcohol much faster than other substances. However, the exact answer is a mystery to me.

plaebo? but then again you'd notice the same with other drugs u take! pretty sure that liquids do hit your stomach instantly and, as you said, because ethanol is such a small molecule that it goes straight from your stomach to your blood very quickly.
elvis

Alcohol is absorbed as soon as it touches your mouth, it is such a good solvent it goes through mucous membranes in the mouth (cheek and tongue), the throat, even from the stomach lining. Most drugs only start being absorbed in the small intestine.

Why is it that when I take a big gulp of beer, I can feel the effects in 5-10 seconds? I swear I can feel it before it's even hit my stomach - it's pretty amazing.
Does the fact that the ethanol molecule is so small (relative to most drugs) have anything to do with it? For me, most drugs take 10-30 minutes to kick in when taken orally. GHB (which is also quite a small molecule) hits me very quickly, but even that takes about 5 minutes. With alcohol, the speed of onset is comparable to smoking weed - it's almost instantaneous.

Thanks.

Eh, It is kind of true that you can feel a certain dizziness as soon as you drink it but with beer it is a very subtle effect.. Now if you drink whiskey or something you can definitely feel it right away... Idk why... I've gotten out of my mind drunk in 15 min with jack and coke, since it tastes good it's so easy.. fucking hate alcohol