• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Who's vegan, or vegetarian?

I was vegan last year for 9 months to try and help my health condition, but it made me very ill. Never again.

Was vegetarian for 8 years and then my meat cravings became so extreme that I broke and ate it, and started feeling amazing again.

I think people eat way too much meat in general, but I don't think no meat is the answer for the world. The problem is that we have too many humans, and not that humans shouldn't eat meat.

What's wrong with someone like me, who loves meat, but also wants to end factory farming and animal cruelty?

Why can't we just do both? Lab grown meat is viable.
This is the type diet im trying to follow. So instead of having a cheat meal of sweets, chocolates and sugarry stuff, i have a steak or some form of read meat. And yes i know this is not a full pescatarian diet but is the closest and most comfortable for me. Amd healthy with all the added benefits.

they're cared for all their life.
still loaded to an abbatoir for death, petrified because they know exactly what is coming.

its the norm to buy meat in supermarkets here which are known for encouraging horrific farming prices cos all they care about is the bottom line. i definitely agree that meat bought from local butchers is a lot more ethical and this is the type of meat i encourage meat eaters to go for.

i think most countries have loads of fields full of perfectly happy animals. i grew up around them too. i also grew up with the fear of BSE, stink of burning pyres of cattle at the height of foot and mouth, and the sound of dairy cows screaming for the babies that have just been taken away. the cruelty of rearing animals for food doesn't end when we put them in a field, though we brits seem to have excelled way beyond our european brethren in that respect.

still loaded to an abbatoir for death, petrified because they know exactly what is coming.
But they're not petrified
They're friendly, they love music, they have all the space they could want. All the grass they could eat. Warm summers. If they were scared, they wouldn't be so friendly. I mean don't mess with a bull, but that's ipso facto.

Death is an outlook for us all, I personally want my flesh to feed something, even if it's just the worms, preferably a lion. Plant a tree right there, perfect. But just because I know I'm going to die one day, doesn't mean I'm scared all the time. There's plenty of moments they enjoy.

Look, I understand where you're coming from, and you're absolutely right about your moral standpoint. But when you're a musician with excruciating sinew damage, you start eating meat faster than you can weigh it over. I lay in bed for 3 days in fucking pain, and my sister's fiancé kept insisting "just try it once, cow & fish". And it helped so so much.

Maybe I'm projecting a way to feel OK with eating meat & fish once a month, but I'm never going to put my body in that kind of danger again. I know if you carefully watch your intake (esp omega 3, etc) you can go vegan and not have such issues, and I did try my best to watch it, even ate algae once in a while(not often enough i guess) but playing the piano creates a lot of tension on the hands, and it must not have been enough.

i was referring to literally while they are at the abbatoir waiting for their turn to die. up until they are transported, i'm sure the lives of animals kept in fields are better than most wild animals.

i absolutely don't judge you for starting to eat meat again, overall your attitude is one that i wish most people shared!!

i like the idea that my cats would feast on me within a couple of hours of me dying if i went at home, could be my last gift for them. so i get the wanting your flesh to do something useful.

i was referring to literally while they are at the abbatoir waiting for their turn to die. up until they are transported, i'm sure the lives of animals kept in fields are better than most wild animals.

i absolutely don't judge you for starting to eat meat again, overall your attitude is one that i wish most people shared!!

i like the idea that my cats would feast on me within a couple of hours of me dying if i went at home, could be my last gift for them. so i get the wanting your flesh to do something useful.
I like the cats idea :)

The question I would pose to people defending free range meat as more more “humane” is this:

Is it more humane to kill a dog that lives a happy life and plays outside all the time or a dog that’s locked in a cage all the time? I would say there is a potential argument that killing the free range animal is even less humane since you are ending this creatures life while it is thriving

And as chinup said, the vast majority of meat is not free range and i have never met a single meat eater that rigorously checks to ensure that they only meat that is free range or non factory farmed eggs or dairy. i so often hear that argument about well what about “humane” animal agriculture and I don’t see how one can fairly make that point if one still consumes factory farmed products

Is it more humane to kill a dog that lives a happy life and plays outside all the time or a dog that’s locked in a cage all the time? I would say there is a potential argument that killing the free range animal is even less humane since you are ending this creatures life while it is thriving
i had never thought of it that way, but you are right!! there is no way i would consider putting my cats down, they're both healthy for their ages (12 and 1), even though they are both incredibly annoying in their own special ways so i often threaten to put them in the bin.

i had never thought of it that way, but you are right!! there is no way i would consider putting my cats down, they're both healthy for their ages (12 and 1), even though they are both incredibly annoying in their own special ways so i often threaten to put them in the bin.
yeah i just dont get the whole narrative of free range "humane" meat. at the end of the day the animal gets slaughtered which i dont see how that could be considered humane. it's certainly better for the environment which is why i would support it more than factory farming. but hunting beats it by far in terms of sustainability, i wish more people would hunt tbh