• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Who's vegan, or vegetarian?

Lol, I'm an irredeemable spice junky. Out eating Thai, I was spontaneously asked how long I had lived in Thailand (ordered "very spicy" and added crushed chiles to it).

ebola?-

What kind of algae? I've heard not great things about the type of B12 in spirulina when it comes to our ability to use it. Chlorella has the right form.

Yeah, I was thinking of spirulina...it sounds like you know more about this than I. . .

ebola

^i can't tolerate spicy Ebola you are quite lucky to be able to eat spicy food.

Thai food is great, and usually very easy to cook yourself so you can add just the spices you want.
I haven't had much luck cooking Indian food, I have all the spices and ingredients but the results aren't great, I guess I'm a lousy cook!

I always come back to this thread when I'm hungry :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^i can't tolerate spicy Ebola you are quite lucky to be able to eat spicy food.

In my experience it is possible to build a tolerance for spicy stuff. I used to get tears in my eyes from the mildest of dishes but nowadays can handle almost anything (save the ghost pepper range of spicy things :)). Practice makes perfect!

In my experience it is possible to build a tolerance for spicy stuff. I used to get tears in my eyes from the mildest of dishes but nowadays can handle almost anything (save the ghost pepper range of spicy things :)). Practice makes perfect!

I think the only spicy food I can eat is Kimchi and only in small portions. Other than that I would need gallons of water!!!

Yeah, I was thinking of spirulina...it sounds like you know more about this than I. . .

ebola

I take back what I said about chlorella having the right form. I'm finding conflicting info. Not sure on that one.

But there are lots of analogues in nature, that can possibly interfere, in us, with functions dependent on the type we need. Blood tests can show increases of B12 from supplementation of spirulina and other algae, but it's misleading. Such tests aren't so accurate, to differentiate forms.

Your body stores 5 to 30 or more years worth of B12, depending on how stocked your mother was, and how well you absorb and recycle it, and if you smoke, drink, etc. To say this, I mean to say that I've read that vegans sometimes underestimate the need for B12, or are hopeful that our bodies produce it like some claims have made (they may but you may have to eat your poo to get any benefit, as the bacteria are in the lower colon... not conclusive some doesn'tabsorb back though), or that food that is natural and dirty might have the right bacteria, that produce it, on it. Vegans that don't supplement may feel fine, but it could be due to that they're running on their stores.

Who knows, maybe something about living as such might reduce need for some things. Having a "light body", so to speak... Maybe it is better, but its still probably good to eat some fish every now and then, if one doesn't supplement.

Last edited:
I was vegetarian for six and a half years but I went vegan last month.

I miss cheese the most (no more pizza) and don't have easy access to vegan alternatives. Fortunately, dairy free milk alternatives are easily available in my country but more expensive than regular milk.

Anyone have any tips to share on cheap nutrition? I take supplements (vitamins and minerals) and often use peanut butter as a cheap source of protein.

Been a vegetarian since i was 7/8 (my own choice) i remember watching a programme about slaughter houses and cried to my mum, told her i wouldnt eat meat again! Never did since, though my diet is horrible (espeically with my etiz usage at mo) alot of eggs, carbs, veg, fruit, quorn thats about it, i do need to incorporate alot more nuts/legumes aswell as some more varied veg, god i dnt know how i cud be vegan! I would essentially end up dying from starvation

Yogis and monks have been vegetarians for years. Pretty sure any alleged B12 deficiencies have not killed them off.

I miss cheese the most (no more pizza) and don't have easy access to vegan alternatives. Fortunately, dairy free milk alternatives are easily available in my country but more expensive than regular milk.

Anyone have any tips to share on cheap nutrition? I take supplements (vitamins and minerals) and often use peanut butter as a cheap source of protein.

Soy protein (or whey if you don't consider it dairy)

Nope, I'm a fully commited omnivore.

I have been seriously considering going veggie just for one month for a number of reasons though. Might give it a go once I'm detoxed, could be a bit of fun I reckon and could help my diet in general in the future.

What about tofu? $1 for a block of tofu, that feeds my bf and I for a few days (and we eat a LOT of tofu! haha).
I love Daiya cheese. It is definitely pricey but it's great. We just found a couple new flavours. It has cheese slices and shredded cheese. Love it!!! I may be addicted to it. We also make our own vegan pizza with the shredded mozzarella Daiya cheese (once in a while... not regularly lol). I certainly miss being able to order pizza and whatnot but it is a pretty good substitute. :)

Soy made me want to touch my breasts and I felt like a laaaady. I was drinking at least a half gallon of soy milk a day. I may be sensitive.

Soy isn't great for you in such high quantities. It can lower immunity/ability to fight infection (though this is at best as I've found an indirect result of other things it might do, like reduce absorption of vital nutrients).

Yogis and monks have been vegetarians for years. Pretty sure any alleged B12 deficiencies have not killed them off.

Are you sure they aren't getting it some place else? Are you sure their brains don't have abnormal shrinkage? I seem to recall something about this. Maybe it was a pool of people who subsisted on a lot of tofu, with no b12 sources. Perhaps there might not be overt outward symptoms... And I guess some people may recycle it better. But, being a non supplementing vegan and being pregnant isn't a good idea. Pregnant women need to be omnivores. Or supplement. But that's not quite as natural.

Last edited:
Vegan here for 9 years (10 in a few months). Vegetarian for two years before that. Was largely motivated by the philosophy of animal rights, but have been more motivated by climate change recently.

which? Buddhists are not vegetarian.
There's this whole story about the raven that drops a chunk of meat into Siddharta's pupil's begging bowl,
so Siddharta proclaims it's ok to eat what you get.

This is one of these questions.
I've been vegan/vegetarian for 12 years, until my sinew-problems started. See I'm a musician.
After that I needed regenerative tissue for my sinews, they're still not back to normal, even though I went back to eating meat.

Another big thing is: all this "being vegetarian" didn't do crap in my country. We just throw away more meat.
German meat production is so fucking high, they're not gonna stop, they just throw more in the trash.
Thinking about that the animals died for nothing breaks my heart, so I eat meat that supermarkets would throw out the next day
or when someone cooked a dinner with meat in it. It would be insulting to not eat the food they prepared.

320 million kilograms of meat Germany throws away every year. And with the amount of rising vegetarians/vegans the number just gets higher, and we just throw away more. This is saving nobody.

Last edited: