• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Who's vegan, or vegetarian?

deerman

Ex-Bluelighter
Any veg people on this site? Just curious where all my veggie friends are at! I'm vegan, well sometimes I eat cheese but I'd like to stop, it fogs my mind (only a vegan would know what I'm talking about ;)). Just bought the book Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner. Hopefully it will help me to stop eating cheese finally.

So much more energy, mental and physical, when I eat completely vegan. No cravings for caffeine when I cut out the dairy it seems.

Been a vegetarian for about 10 years, vegan off and on for the past 7 or so.

Was vegan for ~6 mos, turns out it's impractical for me. Was influenced by my friend who was a vegan for 5-7 years. Turned out to be impractical for her too.

Vegan's just an overrated label, cuz there are tons of unhealthful vegan foods that vegans may eat in high amounts because they presume it's healthful.

I've maintained many of my vegan habits, though. Cheese and dairy now gives me gas. Red meat makes me lethargic and tired. One day I'd like to cut out chicken, too, but for now I just watch the quality of it. Lifting all year so I need the protein.

Doubt I'll ever permanently give up fish. Found one if the biggest barriers of entry to healthful veganism is that you gotta be a friggin' chef. Way too many foods I am culturally unfamiliar with that, practically speaking, I felt like I needed to acquire both a taste and culinary skill for.

I used to be a psuedo-vegan purely because I lived with a vegan. I wasn't intentionally vegan but he had a stick up his ass about animal products in the house.

Although since I moved out I've been dairy free, and I don't eat red meat. I found dairy had huge implications for me, and a few people who I challenged to go dairy free (some use soya milk, some don't) have felt the benefits! Only one returned to milk because soya milk flared up her eczema.

The only animal products I eat are eggs, chicken and occasionally fish, but my diet consists of mostly of vegan & vegetarian dishes.

I found cheese surprisingly easy to live without, I don't buy it and the only time I eat it is when I'm out and it just happens to be served with the dish.

do you supplement B12?
Is there any non animal source you can obtain this from?

Just out of curiosity :)

Yeah, it's hard. But I have so many vegan friends and there are some awesome vegan restaurants where I live so I guess it's just become the way I eat now. Would never think of turning back. It's ingrained in me. On a side note, Joshua Katcher of the http://www.thediscerningbrute.com is a great inspiration for vegan aspirants.

I get copious amounts of B12 to say the least, isthisincognito. Spirulina is a naturally occuring source of B-12, and I love spirulina! There's well over 100% DV in one serving of Nutrex brand which I'm pretty happy with, also heard Healthforce Nutritionals has killer spirulina.

If for some reason I'm not eating spirulina, which is never, then I have supplemented with methyl B-12 (the superior form of B-12) lozenges, they're all over amazon.com. But yes B-12 is the only vitamin a vegan would need to consider supplementing. I also take a B-vitamin complex daily, it's really helpful if you do alot of physical activity, vegan or not.

deer mane said:
I eat cheese but I'd like to stop, it fogs my mind (only a vegan would know what I'm talking about ).

I was a vegan for six years and still do not. ;)

enjoys stimulants said:
Found one if the biggest barriers of entry to healthful veganism is that you gotta be a friggin' chef. Way too many foods I am culturally unfamiliar with that, practically speaking, I felt like I needed to acquire both a taste and culinary skill for.

Learning to cook new things is fun though. . .

incognito said:
do you supplement B12?
Is there any non animal source you can obtain this from?

algae
currently lacto-ovo veggo, considering reveganizing for easier weight-loss.

ebola

I'm vegetarian! I eat about... 80% vegan. There are a couple reasons why I'm not vegan
1) my weakness for cheese. I TRY! really. but sometime I'm weak. I eat mostly Daiya cheese but sometime I *really* crave real cheese. Although I'm kinda lactose intolerant since I have reduced my cheese intake to like, a couple times a month.
2) I'll eat animal byproducts if I'm out with friends or coworkers or at a restaurant or something.

I'm veg for animal rights more than health reasons. I mean, I try to eat healthy and I really do eat pretty healthy but that's kind of a separate thing. I have felt much better since I became veg though. I've been vegetarian for like... two or three years?

I don't classify myself as vegetarian, though I dislike most meat in general.... I probably eat meat maayyybe twice a week. Chicken is a good treat, but I reallly prefer veggies and grains <3 Not huge on most fruit, but I love tropical fruit :)

I'm not a vegetarian but I enjoy these veggies a lot:

okra, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, peas and kale.

I'm a vegetarian! Going vegan would be torture for me as I love cheese and eggs. I feel not eating meat has had a generally positive effect on my health. I do quite a lot of sports and did notice after stopping meat that I had to start supplementing, which I now religously do.

Tried to be a veggie but lasted a whole two months before I caved. Not for me. Did it for ethical reasons but was I able to get all the nutrients required.

^ I only eat chicken and eggs, I'm dubious of the whole "free range" market though.

Long term I'd love to be able to have my own chickens. When I lived more in the countryside, there were farm shops where you could go see the chickens, bit pricey - but it's only money.

ebola?-

What kind of algae? I've heard not great things about the type of B12 in spirulina when it comes to our ability to use it. Chlorella has the right form.
------

I was lacto-ovo for a few years before I found I was allergic to milk. I can't really attribute much benefit to being a vegetarian. Oh... I did eat fish. But many days I just ate beans and rice, and guacamole, and whatever was in the sauce at Chipotle. I guess I did fine. I did feel "cleaner".

I was vegan for another three or so years. I still ate fish every now and then but it makes me sick for some reason (allergy and/or ulcer flare up)... But my diet was primarily hemp seeds. Many days/weeks, that was all I ate... And I considered it optimal.

Hemp seeds I can't handle any more. More, its contaminants and certain microorganisms that are in more in some batches than others that I run into trouble with.

My diet lately is apples, and chicken, and hemp seed oil... And kelp powder. Need to branch out a little. I looked better when I was vegan, but I felt sick more. And I was more just a hemp seed eater. I have a lot of issues with food.

Last edited:
I'm almost a vegetarian, I still eat chicken once or twice a month, and I force myself to buy pricey organic, local, free-range chicken - not being able to afford it often means that I eat it less often. Yeah I know how stupid this might sound lol.
I hope to become 'fully' vegetarian someday, mainly for ethical reasons, but also because my family has a long history of heart disease.
I stopped eating red meat years ago because of those health concerns.
Then I got more interested in the meat industry and avoiding meat became an ethical choice.
Loving Indian cooking makes vegetarianism so much easier though :)

^^ Try some mediterranean/ Arab cuisines too, they cook some mean vegetarian dishes

I'm almost a vegetarian, I still eat chicken once or twice a month, and I force myself to buy pricey organic, local, free-range chicken - not being able to afford it often means that I eat it less often. Yeah I know how stupid this might sound lol.

Quite the opposite.

I would always opt to have a little of something good, than a lot of something mediocre.

I find that many Asian food (mostly Thai, from my experience) has a ton of vegetarian and vegan food. Indian food as well, but I don't enjoy the spiciness as much aha.

Thai food is amazing, it doesn't need to have spice. I just love it's fragrance. I used to frequent a Thai resturant near Lincoln many years ago. I absolutely loved it, I found myself curiously eating flower petals (you are supposed to eat them right!?).

If you want to combat the fire, yoghurt, mayonnaise or melon works really well for side dishes. You can add mint and cucumber to the yoghurt for example or sprinkle the melon with cinnamon. Just some thoughts.

Because of your post, I had a quick google and found this on wiki. Might try my hand at one or two... Question is, what flowers can I eat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thai_dishes