• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Which drug do you think is essential for spiritual developent?

At least some practiced monks endorse biochemical spiritual paths. Here's an interesting excerpt from an article about a sannyasin Hindu monk smoking DMT. All his years of sober meditation didn't get him anywhere near where DMT took him, and the dogma he absorbed as a monk actually seemed to get in the way of accepting the experience.
Wow, thanks for the link, Psood0. Interesting read.
As a monk, though, I feel I need to say something regarding the above quote...
In the Hindu monks experience he was first 'indoctrined' and soberly meditative.. then tried DMT and PHWOOM! All the ego/dogma centred stuff fell away.

In my case, it was the other way around. I first experienced psychedelics THEN became a monk. My advantage was that in previously experiencing the ego-death and profound insights the psychedelic experience brings, some of the processes and information I study now are easier to understand, and has perhaps helped me avoid dogmatism and mundane sentiment within this tradition... without the psychedelic experience I might never be where I am now.
However, while the psychedelic experience holds many profound wonders, the stability of a sober mind when engaged philosophically and devotedly to spiritual practices heralds realisations and experiences that infuse one in old age with PRACTICAL WISDOM. The psychedelic realm has the interesting quality of full blown visions, patterns, OBE's, extradimensional shifting, that last a short while and only take you as far as realising that normal 3d sensory perception and thinking is not the all-in-all.

Wow, thanks for the link, Psood0. Interesting read.
As a monk, though, I feel I need to say something regarding the above quote...
In the Hindu monks experience he was first 'indoctrined' and soberly meditative.. then tried DMT and PHWOOM! All the ego/dogma centred stuff fell away.

In my case, it was the other way around. I first experienced psychedelics THEN became a monk. My advantage was that in previously experiencing the ego-death and profound insights the psychedelic experience brings, some of the processes and information I study now are easier to understand, and has perhaps helped me avoid dogmatism and mundane sentiment within this tradition... without the psychedelic experience I might never be where I am now.
However, while the psychedelic experience holds many profound wonders, the stability of a sober mind when engaged philosophically and devotedly to spiritual practices heralds realisations and experiences that infuse one in old age with PRACTICAL WISDOM. The psychedelic realm has the interesting quality of full blown visions, patterns, OBE's, extradimensional shifting, that last a short while and only take you as far as realising that normal 3d sensory perception and thinking is not the all-in-all.

This is interesting. I have practiced meditation both before my psychedelic experiences and now during them and I have found that I can achieve the "psychedelic realm" or OBEs taking me to levels comparable to hyperspace, only the experiences are very difficult to recall. Before psychedelics my mind was not nearly expanded enough to even begin to comprehend ego-loss during meditation.

This is interesting. I have practiced meditation both before my psychedelic experiences and now during them and I have found that I can achieve the "psychedelic realm" or OBEs taking me to levels comparable to hyperspace, only the experiences are very difficult to recall. Before psychedelics my mind was not nearly expanded enough to even begin to comprehend ego-loss during meditation.

There ya go.
I believe these chemicals/drugs were put here for a purpose. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of collateral damage.

It really depends on your perspective, and what you want to do with drugs. The question is: Do you use drugs to Enhance or Escape your reality?

Its truly all up to you.

Long, long ago, in a "New" Bluelight far far away,

We were actually allowed to close each of our posts with a signature.

Mine (circa 2000):

"E doesn't make life beautiful.

It REMINDS us that life is beautiful."

Drugs have altered my life in both positive & negative ways. I recommend no particular course of action, except to learn as much as you can about any drug you intend to ingest.

The first time I did ayahuasca I got very very sick and had a horrible trip, the second time was the most enlightening thing I have ever experienced. It was truly life changing.

I can not find my copy of Remember Be Here Now by Ram Dass, perhaps I given it away. In the introduction he had a list of ways drugs could be good for spiritual development and a list of ways they hindered spiritual development. I don't remember the content of the lists that well but I remember that on "hinder" list was that drugs foster an us vs them mentality. This one is about identifying with cultural factions, feeling antagonism with law enforcement, opposing anti-drug crusaders, etc. A life of drugs is often forced into being secretive or reckless.

Addiction is a bigger impediment to a spiritual life than the cultural frictions and the instinct to have a stance in regards to them. The cultural friction is probably a big reason as well for curtailing drug use when on a spiritual path.

But echoing the posters before me no drug is essential, cannabis and psychedelics can be good adjuncts. Alcohol, meth, and opiates can be spiritual in a Kali type way- they can burn and destroy all that you valued, until you have nothing to cling to but spiritual aspiration. Actually a bad trip can function in this way to but it happens over hours instead of months or years and it is usually a purely psychic "trauma" instead of the systematic dismantling of a life.

Long, long ago, in a "New" Bluelight far far away,

We were actually allowed to close each of our posts with a signature.

Mine (circa 2000):

"E doesn't make life beautiful.

It REMINDS us that life is beautiful."

qtf.

A lot of them help, but I wouldn't say any of them are necessary. That's almost like saying "Only people who have used substances can be spiritually enlightened"

None, but play with your unadulterated mind. The best way to ensure sustained emotion is for it to be caused by an infinitely sustainable source. Moreover, you pay zero dollars and run zero risk of any negative effects. I'm not trying to incite anger, be analytically objective!

Hash.

8992hash1.JPG

to each his own
and ayahuasca and mushroms to me

What does the tattoo on your wrist say? ;)
To each his own indeed. THC alone has been quite philosophically useful to me...

ebola

salvia was scary however shamans say it is the greatest healer.Opiates keep well away.No one has mentioned cocaine which was used in ceremonys by the Incas and south american shamans.Cannabis makes you eternally lazy.

Psychedelics. They strip away millions of years worth of biochemical insulation which aids our survival in the game we call life. However, underneath all that is pure existence, which is something many people never experience.

None are essential, but DMT sure does make a spicy delicious ketchup to smear on one's dry hamburger of a spiritual life.

What does the tattoo on your wrist say? ;)
:)
... but the one on top of my forearm says ayahuasca :)

and i've kind of decided to get another ayahuasca one on the other wrist in april
i have to get it done next month during the holiday so that they don't really realize that i have a new tattoo at work

i really shouldn't because it's not well seen both in my job and my country but i think i can't help it