• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Where in PiHKaL does Shulgin actually list DOM in the Magical Half Dozen?

arrall

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm reading through PiHKaL right now and I've noticed that nowhere in the book does Shulgin list the full Magical Half Dozen.
Under 2C-T-7, he says:
If all the phenethylamines were to be ranked as to their acceptability and their intrinsic richness, 2C-T-7 would be right up there near the top, along with 2C-T-2, 2C-B, mescaline and 2C-E.
But I cannot find a 6th member of this list, let alone any recorded instances of said compound being DOM. If anyone knows where in PiHKaL Shulgin lists DOM as part of this group of his favorite phenethylamines, please let me know.

Last edited:
Idk, only knew that 2c-e was one of them. Doc maybe?

Now that I think about it, I can’t recall if I ever read the phrase “magical half dozen” anywhere in PiHKAL. I hope someone can answer this question because the book is too thick for me to search through

Page # anyone?

DOC is not one of them. To be honest I am not entirely sure where that phrase comes from but I assume it does come from Shulgin. I used to think they were indicated by the entry's link being bold, but those are just ones that he highlighted as having been circulated/widely available (at the time of his writing). Not sure where the "magical half dozen" come from, and which ones exactly they are.

It’s on Wikipedia. dom is one. Dos he ever refer to it as stp in pihkal?

It’s on Wikipedia. dom is one. Dos he ever refer to it as stp in pihkal?
Yes, he wrote quite a bit on how it was being sold as STP and some were confusing it with a motor oil additive.

Now that I think about it, I can’t recall if I ever read the phrase “magical half dozen” anywhere in PiHKAL. I hope someone can answer this question because the book is too thick for me to search through
In the extension and commentary for 2c-e he mentions it, page 515 and mentions five of the six in the commentary for 2c-t-7.

Yeah, just need to find the 6th member of it.

After seeing communismbOt's comment, I searched both parts of the book for the words dozen and magical and that comment at the very beginning of the 'Extensions and commentary' for 2C-E is the only instance where he mentions it. So, here are my suggestions:

#1 Contact David Nichols. David Nichols read the manuscript of PiHKAL, which was more detailed. He implied this in the recent Ultra LSD episode of Hamilton's Pharmacopoeia.

#2 Contact Ann Shulgin before she dies.

It really wouldn't surprise me if Sasha Shulgin forgot to provide more details about what he meant by 'magical half-dozen.'

After seeing communismbOt's comment, I searched both parts of the book for the words dozen and magical and that comment at the very beginning of the 'Extensions and commentary' for 2C-E is the only instance where he mentions it. So, here are my suggestions:

#1 Contact David Nichols. David Nichols read the manuscript of PiHKAL, which was more detailed. He implied this in the recent Ultra LSD episode of Hamilton's Pharmacopoeia.

#2 Contact Ann Shulgin before she dies.

It really wouldn't surprise me if Sasha Shulgin forgot to provide more details about what he meant by 'magical half-dozen.'
Will write to both of them, thank you for the suggestion.

It's such a bummer that 2c-xx compounds were legal in the Netherlands up until 2004. Why the fk did they ban em,? Jesús Christ, banning drugs is fkn nonsense. It just makes ppl more curious about them and the users have to deal with shady as fk vendors on the DNM. 🤦🤦🤦
Stupid war on drugs, when is it gonna be Over?🤒
I'm looking forward for that day.💎

They were legal in the US and some other places for even longer than that.

But yeah, it's bullshit. The 2C-Xs are pure gold, fantastic psychedelics with a solid safety margin and many decades of human consumption. When you ban something, something else usually sketchier and less researched, takes its place. Prohibition 101... first day of class material right there.

They were legal in the US and some other places for even longer than that.

But yeah, it's bullshit. The 2C-Xs are pure gold, fantastic psychedelics with a solid safety margin and many decades of human consumption. When you ban something, something else usually sketchier and less researched, takes its place. Prohibition 101... first day of class material right there.
And I dont know of a single instance of a single 2c-x being sold as the "bath salts" they were unceremoniously banned as🤬

Prohibition is moronic, plain and simple. I wonder if governments will ever learn?

Prohibition is moronic, plain and simple. I wonder if governments will ever learn?
They know man, they just don't a fuck about us drug users bcs there's too much money on the table for them if drugs are maintained illegal. So many people unnecessary incarcerated , prisons are fucking private companies, they make money by making prisoners work, the US is the country with the highest number of people in jail pffffffff the cartels make money too and I bet they pay politicians and shit, the war on drugs and their drugs are bad mkay is just the tip of the iceberg, there's so much money being moved so if they legalize drugs all this shit would disappear, u think they are gonna lose all thsg money? Oh yeah i forgot all the money assigned to the- ,DEA(this shit agency shouldn't even exist) so all these parties make money off the war on drugs. I know you already knew that but some ppl don't, that's why we are gonna have to wait a bit longer to see drugs legalized. I think in 20 years they'll b legal tho.

You're right, of course. The thing is, legalization and regulation would bring in huge amounts of money to society through taxes, like it does with tobacco and alcohol, and now weed in states where it's legal, too. But that money would go to actual society at large, whereas right now it goes to the owners of private prisons, the DEA, and the other people who benefit from the war on drugs. It takes money from the people (from the costs of fighting the stupid "war") and puts it in their pockets... instead we could put be putting into the state and federal budget. It would be a win-win for everyone but the sociopaths who are profiting from it, so that's why it doesn't happen.

At the same time, there are a lot of people who believe that nonsense and who think that if we just take a harder stance on drugs and ban more and more things, somehow, eventually, the problem will go away. I guess that's mostly the people who believe the propaganda pushed out by the drug war machine, but I think some lower-level policymakers probably believe it, too.

It could be that Shulgin was just using the term half-dozen in a non-literal way, as 'magical half-dozen' sounds better than 'magical five.' My other thoughts are that MDMA was the sixth one -- we all know about all the attention he gave MDMA and he even referred to the effect as 'magic' in an 'Ask Dr. Shulgin' piece. ...And he opens up the 'extensions and commentary' for DOB with this: 'The stars had clearly lined up in favor of making DOB and exploring its biological activity.'

You're right, of course. The thing is, legalization and regulation would bring in huge amounts of money to society through taxes, like it does with tobacco and alcohol, and now weed in states where it's legal, too. But that money would go to actual society at large, whereas right now it goes to the owners of private prisons, the DEA, and the other people who benefit from the war on drugs. It takes money from the people (from the costs of fighting the stupid "war") and puts it in their pockets... instead we could put be putting into the state and federal budget. It would be a win-win for everyone but the sociopaths who are profiting from it, so that's why it doesn't happen.

At the same time, there are a lot of people who believe that nonsense and who think that if we just take a harder stance on drugs and ban more and more things, somehow, eventually, the problem will go away. I guess that's mostly the people who believe the propaganda pushed out by the drug war machine, but I think some lower-level policymakers probably believe it, too.
Prohibition of drugs is as effective as abstinence only sex education ffs. A complete ans total waste of time time and ruins lives everywhere...

When I ask Ann what Sasha’s favorite of his own chemicals is she knows immediately. “It would have to be 2C-B. He was always very proud of that one. He called it the Great Teacher. Although I preferred 2C-B-Fly a bit more.” But there are so many to choose from. DiPT, 5-MeO-AMT, 5-MeO-DALT, Methylone, 2C-T-7, and this list goes on. Ann can’t say for sure how many trips they shared together, she just smiles and says, “We stopped counting at around two-thousand.” This is a mind-boggling number considering the total may actually be closer to four-thousand.

Does anyone recall what chapter in the first half of PIHKAL talks about Shulgin’s first 2ce trip?
Under the 2ce entry (2nd half of book) he says it was the subject of a chapter in the story. But it’s not titled 2ce and I couldn’t find it with a quick look.