When Will Live Audiences Be Ready For Computer Mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.
so your saying if a guy had a mix on his computer that he spent time (before the gig) making a perfect mix, then just hit play and and acted like he was doing stuff back there (which isn't that farfetched by the way)... you wouldn't be mad that you paid money to see that? Who wants to see some over paid geek with a laptop? What if your favorite rock musician just played their songs on a laptop when they came out instead of live with instruments? would you still want to see them?

This brings another point to light. Do 'we' (the collective 'we') go out to 'watch a DJ' or do we go out to rock'n'roll, get drunk with our mates and hopefully catch some sick tunes?

I know what my reasons are! ;)

I go out to be impressed by a performance. I go to concerts. The DJ is a musician, and if we wish to be treated as musicians we should be held to the same standards...

do you want to watch one person stand on stage and play another persons music, changing maybe a bassline or a melody a slight bit and calling it their own?

or perhaps having another band stand on stage and play some other bands hits all night?

I go out for the DJ's... not the atmosphere... no the drinks... etc...

yea, ANYONE can own badass tracks, just look at the Dogs on Acid DnB board... half of those people there are like fucking jukeboxes for the latest and greatest hits, and maybe 2% of them actually mix those records well, and that is what sets them apart. If you played really good tracks, and wrecked even 10% of the time, you have just RUINED 10% of the music, which means 9 minutes out of your 90 minute set were spent sucking balls!

give me back my 9 minutes, and MAYBE we can talk about having you come back to town.

I know what makes me dance, a LOT of other people can vouch for the fact that I know what makes THEM dance, and even more people who don't personally know me have moved their asses to DJ's for decades now, yet, something is missing... oh yes... Milli Vanilli... hurray!

I didn't spend the last 6 years of my life learning how to mix records, so that some 15 year old kid can come and take over the world with his fucking laptop and a pirated copy of Ableton... likewise, his pirated music and pirated fans, quite frankly...

all thanks to us just trusting in technology to lead us into the future...

you be led like lambs to the slaughter. I see through this bullshit!

6 years of learning to rock a crowd, and I could have picked up ableton and done it in literally 2 weeks with minimal knowledge of how to count to 32...

roliepolie said:
I go out to be impressed by a performance. I go to concerts. The DJ is a musician, and if we wish to be treated as musicians we should be held to the same standards...

This is something I've noticed at a number of the straight parties. People stand on the dance floor, facing the DJ and just 'watch'. While I don't want to say that's inately wrong, personally, I can't stand that. It's a dance party, at a dance club, with a dance floor, playing dance music. Where people got the notion this is a concert is beyond me. This is why I've almost given up on straight events. Love PVD, can't stand the crowds of ogglers he attracts. You'd never find this sort of DJ worship on the gay scene. People go for the party. The DJ is just one part, not the event. But, to each their own. As for me, I'm going to party and dance. DJs are great, but I ain't going to a dance club to see a perfomance. Jus my 2 cents.

wow, so much hostility!

seriously - the question this thread is based on has already been answered.

(the answer is 'they already are', btw...)

:D

asmodeus256 said:
I agree with you on that on Mystic. I wouldn't want to see a preprogrammed mix. That takes the "performance" out of the art.

However if that geek with a laptop is [re]mixing the songs live and reading the crowd and putting his heart, soul, mind, and energy into the performance... then it doesn't matter.

Right. just bring your shit live, go with the flow and freak out at the knobs. I love seeing (hearing even more) a guy mixing his own shit and mangling it up as he goes. way more than a DJ behind the decks. i dont care what it looks like, just what is sounds like.

i'm not talking about people who remix their stuff on the fly with a laptop, i'm talking about people who just mix songs on their laptop.

Again... I don't play "dance music" as a matter of fact, I don't really consider ANY music dance music... if a DJ does something that makes me WANT to dance, then I will... otherwise, I am watching them, so I can formulate an opinion on their style, perhaps learn something I didn't know from them--or more often than not-teach them something that they don't know about mixing...

it's about mutual respect for those who are into the same thing I do... kinda like bowing before the king... when the president walks into a room they play hail to the chief...

I turn and watch the performance... and if it makes me dance, then it had better be something damned impressive.

Paul Van Dyk attracts load of ooglers because when he mixes, he literally mixes a record... matches the beat... EQ's... and is into the next record within maybe 10 seconds... the man can mix(albeit not my genre) fucking superbly. thats why... they aren't watching him because of the tracks he plays!

they are watching, because they are all DJ's... and because they wanna know what his secrets are... incedentally, I stand in front of the PCDJ's as well--to make sure that they are actually mixing.

on topic, i agree with seuss that the answer is simply "they already are"

alasdair

Last edited:
I think we are ready to hear something innovative... and as has already been shown, more often than not, PCDJ's aren't doing anything that can't be done on turntables, which is generally more exciting.

http://www.odmrakadozore.com/upload/AdamJay_LivePA_JavaClub-Slovenia_12-24-04.mp3

^^ this set was done with Ableton, along with some midi controllers and other various methods.

Brilliant set, and the best thing that I have heard coming from someone using ableton, thus far!

and as far as who am I to say what is soulless? Someone whose been doing this shit for a LONG time, thats who! What you are saying is that there is no such thing as bad music, or bad art... and I am calling bullshit on that. If there is no such thing as bad sets, then there cannot be any GOOD ones either... and there are some VERY amazing sets... but to be good sets, there must be bad ones...

and there are some downright HORRIBLE artists and musicians. and to say there aren't is ignorance.

so before you say "all art is valuble" go study art for a while, and you will see how insulted it makes some of us DJ's feel when we throw down a badass set, and someone who can't even mix records gets the same recognition... it's like fucking boy "bands"... "well, they make good music..."

first of all, MUSIC is arguable when it comes to them... what makes this any different?

Originally posted by roliepolie
and there are some downright HORRIBLE artists and musicians. and to say there aren't is ignorance.

i dont' see anybody arguing that bad acts don't exist. this seems like a non sequitor to me.

"it's like fucking boy "bands"... "well, they make good music...""

I have VERY broad tastes in music...

alasdair

you call one more person a degrading name and you're getting a warning

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't spend the last 6 years of my life learning how to mix records, so that some 15 year old kid can come and take over the world with his fucking laptop and a pirated copy of Ableton...

i'm rereading this entire thread as it's an interesting discussion and also to see if i have a different perspective after having not read it for a while.

there's clearly a lot of anger in your messages, roliepolie, and i wonder if the insecurity which comes through in this message is at the root of a lot of the comments you make... if you were sure of your talent, this 15 year old should pose no threat?

alasdair

I didn't spend the last 6 years of my life learning how to mix records, so that some 15 year old kid can come and take over the world with his fucking laptop and a pirated copy of Ableton...

if a kid, no matter how young, with whatever pirated programme, mixed a set that blew anything I had done out of the water I would be impressed!!

I think you should go back and re-read a lot of the points made in this thread and take notes-

its about the music!

New technology is good!

People are already enjoying computer mixing!

yep :)

lots o hostility in this thread.

i wonder if it's not performance related - or rather, lack of performance related?

;) :D

EDIT: You are entitled to your opinion, but enough with the insults. THIS will be your fisrt official warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see whats so funny. Have some respect man, thats all there is to it!

respect is earned, not thrown away on those who are disrespectful.

my point is, that I have no burden of proving that my method of delivering music is superior... it's been tested, and it has passed... currently accepted.

when someone is doing something NEW, they have to PROVE it to the world that it is better, or as good as the status quo... they have a burden of proof... we do not assume that it is as good or better than, because that would be a bad idea... ideas would be watered down...

so we make them EARN the right to say "what we are doing is viable"

the MEANS to prove it are up to the person who has to prove it... but the end result must still be as good as or better.

I think that this thread lasting so long and getting as heated as it has proves pretty well that people aren't ready for it... we are DJ's and most of us aren't ready for it... how do you think that someone who has NO IDEA of what ableton is is going to take it, when they look up and see someone clicking a mouse?

this thread has run its course i believe..

if you have an issue bout it being closed PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.