• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What's your trick to get out of bad trips quick?

Actually Ativan is the normal goto at the hospital with any freak out......because of its short duration......now if risk of seizure is warrented they will use Valium

How is this thread still going?

Every responsible drug user should keep Xanax on hand for when things go wrong.

/thread

Just don' be too quick to use it...

I had a negative experience where I began having the most absolute insane trainwreck trip possible (only my 4th redose mixing 4 chemicals that night, who woulda thunk it :\)... Took the 1/4 xanax bar I had laid out, but couldn't find the other 5 I had on hand. End result is hospitialzation, broken bones, large problems of all sorts.

So since then I have had a grip of etiz in my pocket at all times whilst tripping.

Twice now I have been too quick to take it. As soon as it is under my tongue I feel on the verge of a mystical/one love/cosmic breakthrough. Immediatly try and spit it out, but the damage has been done. I dunno if it's psychological or what.

This past weekend, took 90ug LSD. First time on acid, let it do it's thing for about 3 hours. Could tell I wasn't going any higher, decided to take some MXE. At first I was shooting for 40-50mg rectal, said fuck it and took 75mg rectal. Told myself go lower and I could redose, but decided my tolerance was building and I would be okay.

Shit got super intense, felt like it doubled the LSD. Was trying to lay down and listen to music, and I got this weird flash/flashback of complete terror. Like "you are about to lose control and something fucked up will happen." Dropped like 2 mg etiz under my tongue, then 30 seconds later I was like "fuck..." Tried to spit it out and lay down. Felt this all encompassing love and energy comming, like I was straight going out into +4 territory, only to see these entity like things laughing, flipping me off, and waving as they faded away...

So... yah i guess a potential lost experience is better than another $50k hospital bill... but man I was royally unhappy.

YMMV

How is this thread still going?

Every responsible drug user should keep Xanax on hand for when things go wrong.

/thread

I passionately disagree.

If you can't deal with a bad trip on your own, you probably should not be tripping in the first place. Anyway, xanax can worsen confusion. I have witnessed people having very bad trips, take xanax, and then have their trips get even worse.

I think what you want to do is learn to turn the bad trip into a good one, rather than trying to stop it. If you try to stop it, it will just come back another time when you trip. If you can work through it, make sense of it and integrate the experience, you may never have another bad trip like that. You need to let go. You bought the ticket, you take the ride. Sometimes I have an uncomfortable period during an otherwise very pleasant trip. That usually indicates to me there is something I need to work out between me and myself. The "bad trip" helps me work through those issues and turn the rest of the experience into a "good" trip.

Jumping down from a rollercoaster is a much worse idea than sitting through the ride

Myself I don't allow myself to be exposed to "bad trips". I find they are avoidable through correct timing and ensuring set and setting as well as any other variables are right to take psys. Failure of this I have a back up plan of mirtazapine to abort the trip.

I think suggesting psychedelic users add benzos into the mix is not hard reduction. "Bad trips" come from within the mind and that's where they stop. A mental backflip is one remedy for a bad trip, along with meditation, chants, singing, playing music or whatever works for you.

You need to conquer it instead of pushing it down with benzos. That will only make it worse in the long run. Once you learn how to stop a bad trip with your mind alone, you will not get them any more. You will never learn if you knock yourself out with benzos every time you feel uncomfortable while tripping. Psychedelics can be difficult and there is no easy mode.

^massively good point there my friend. Your own mind is both your greatest tool and weakness. Subduing yourself to avoid mental situations is not great ideological wise. Routing out the source and confronting it is a good option.

Never had a bad trip, but if it got to busy for me or just to end a trip... for me I'll take.... 1/2 mg Xanax & 10 mg Flexeril together and put on Pink Floyd's Wish You Where Here.

Post #66 has a very good point...

I've never really had a 'bad trip' per se but the times I was uncomfortable or negative were times when I was alone or in tight spaces like the bathroom. I just breathe and tell myself it'll pass and it does.

I think suggesting psychedelic users add benzos into the mix is not hard reduction. "Bad trips" come from within the mind and that's where they stop. A mental backflip is one remedy for a bad trip, along with meditation, chants, singing, playing music or whatever works for you.

You need to conquer it instead of pushing it down with benzos. That will only make it worse in the long run. Once you learn how to stop a bad trip with your mind alone, you will not get them any more. You will never learn if you knock yourself out with benzos every time you feel uncomfortable while tripping. Psychedelics can be difficult and there is no easy mode.
Yeah... try doing a 'mental backflip' when you're in the midst of a full-blown panic attack, feeling like you're about to die.

I agree with what you're saying, but having benzos on hand is not such a bad idea. They can be very useful.
Since that panic attack (during which I took 40mg valium with no tolerance) I've learned to control my mind better while tripping and I haven't had a bad trip since.
I'm really glad I took the valium because I'd already identified the cause of my bad trip and I didn't see any benefit to sitting there dwelling on it and feeling like shit for the rest of the night.

Besides, psychological stress can have negative effects on physical and negative health. From a harm-reduction point of view, you're much better off using a benzo to end a trainwreck trip than trying to tough it out.

One or two 10mg haldols, one or two 150mg trazodones, one or two benztropines (cogentin), and 2.1 grams of gabapentin, plus 100mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) if it seems like it would be helpful to reach your goal of falling asleep as soon as possible. It's a good combination, I think.

"0ne or two 10mg haldols, one or two 150mg trazodones, one or two benztropines (cogentin), and 2.1 grams of gabapentin, plus 100mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) if it seems like it would be helpful to reach your goal of falling asleep as soon as possible. It's a good combination, I think."

You looking to snow someone for a week? That is completely whacked

Tried to spit it out and lay down. Felt this all encompassing love and energy comming, like I was straight going out into +4 territory, only to see these entity like things laughing, flipping me off, and waving as they faded away...
It sounds like the universe is hellbent on teasing you

Jumping down from a rollercoaster is a much worse idea than sitting through the ride
Taking a benzo when you're having a bad reaction from a drug (psychedelic or not) isn't jumping down from a rollercoaster. It's simply getting off, saying "no thanks" to whatever horrible idea the drug had in mind for me.

I'm really glad I took the valium because I'd already identified the cause of my bad trip and I didn't see any benefit to sitting there dwelling on it and feeling like shit for the rest of the night.

Besides, psychological stress can have negative effects on physical and negative health. From a harm-reduction point of view, you're much better off using a benzo to end a trainwreck trip than trying to tough it out.

Good job, you were able to identify the source of the bad trip. The next step is beating it. Once you beat it, it will not come back.

Who says the trip has to stay bad just because it has a bad part? I have turned many "bad trips" into wonderful trips after figuring out the source. It sounds like you were so close to beating it without drugs. You may have cheated yourself out of a very enlightening trip.

The come-up is rough, uncomfortable, sometimes "bad" for many people on psychedelics. It is now my favorite part of the trip. Learn to channel the energy. You need to embrace it and let it take you over, with absolutely no resistance. The energy I used to feel as anxiety is now channeled into excitement.

I used to have panic attacks and was prescribed Xanax. I really believe it made them worse in the long run, even though I only took Xanax about once weekly... Messing with benzos can be really, really bad news. They are somewhat unique in the severity of rapid tolerance, rebound effects, and paradoxical effects. I am scared by the number of people who take "knockout" doses of xanax while tripping. Xanax alone in high doses can suddenly make people violent/suicidal. I have seen many nightmare scenarios result from benzos, much worse than anything that could come from a psychedelic.

My panic attacks did not even start to get better until I sat through few panic attacks with NO benzos, I was able to find the "off switch" for panic in my brain. I never would have found that if I kept taking benzos every time I had an attack.

Even for their primary indication, epilepsy, benzos make seizures worse in the long term. I really think they should be avoided at all costs, and used only for acute life-threatening seizures.

You may as well suggest somebody keep heroin on hand while tripping. Benzos are even worse than opiates in a lot of ways. You need to find the panic off switch in your brain, not turn your brain off with extremely dangerous drugs. Your brain alone is more than powerful enough to turn a hell trip into a heaven trip.

It is worth noting I have never seen a bad trip stay bad for the entire trip when people "tough it out." The "bad" part usually only lasts a few hours at most, before becoming good again. And if you work through it instead of shutting yourself down with benzos, you will come out mentally much healthier.

Last edited:
setting change + ghb and a comfy dark location with someone close. Benzos also work. If you dont want to kill the trip in its entirety, follow the advice of others who've posted in this threat and always remember to keep telling yourself, your on a drug and it will end even if it does not feel like it.

Its kind of cheating..But most of the time i trip.I'll take a 20-40mg oxycontin swallowed before i drop .For myself the mix very well.I still have a
"very" full experience.But it works to just take crazy edge off,doesn't seem to dull the visuals or the revelations.But
does offer a bit of control.It doesn't oxy (in my trials) work well with mdma.I get a huge headache and don't feel very well at all.They seem to compete with each other for the same space....

Yeah kratom works better than other opiates I've tried because it kind of adds to it... doesn't make it more intense, actually less intense because it's more positively directed, but it does combine just fine and takes the edge off. I used to do it all the time when I was addicted to kratom and using psychedelics a lot.