• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

whats worse a bad heroin WD or a bad alcohol hangover

Even the worst alcohol hangover only leaves you feeling like shit for a couple of days and many people can manage to function somewhat with even a bad hangover. Yeah you might vomit, sweat, feel chilly, be restless, have a killer headache, etc but you always know that it's self-limiting and there are usually things you can do to ease it somewhat and you often feel somewhat better as the day progresses.

I've never had full-on alcohol withdrawals, but from what friends of mine who have had them have told me they get much, much worse for a period of time before they start getting better so that might be the more valid comparison with opiate withdrawals.

This is a joke right?

I second this notion.

Never had heroin withdrawal but ive been through my fair share of Opana withdrawals, and I can tell you. I'd rather have the flu for two weeks or have my tonsils or wisdom teeth ripped out again.

To me, Opiate withdrawal is the worst feeling I've felt on this earth, both mentally and physically. Maybe it just gets to me more than others though.

whats worse a bad heroin WD or a bad alcohol hangover

Believe I would compare opiate WD to alcohol WD, NOT just a hangover.

IMO, an opiate WD is really in a class by itself. Many books mention the "flu" as a comparison. I can say, the flu would be pure pleasure, compared to an Oxy. WD.
Probably the WORST experience I have EVER had. A true hell on earth.

Best

Last edited:
what a dumb thing to ask heroin WD heroin WD heroin WD heroin WD heroin WD heroin WD heroin WD heroin WD heroin WD heroin WD heroin WD

I think opiate withdrawal vs. alcohol withdrawal would be a much better topic........obviously opiate withdrawals are much worse and harsh than your typical alcohol hangover.

I think opiate withdrawal vs. alcohol withdrawal would be a much better topic........obviously opiate withdrawals are much worse and harsh than your typical alcohol hangover.

Even just coming down off speed is nastier than the worst hangover I've ever had.

If it was withdrawal vs withdrawal a heavy alcohol addict may have it worse since the withdrawals closely mimic benzo withdrawal. Drugs that touch on the GABA neurotransmitters seem to have the worst most deadly withdrawal.

I haven't ever dealt with opiate wds (other than the taking them for a couple weeks for pain and then being constipated and a bit irritable, having an all day headache, kinda nauseous --- nothing to write home about) but I've had some nasty hangovers. And honestly, from what I've read on here, I would take my worst alcohol hangover (I've had them last a nice two days of feeling extremely sick in bed puking) over anything I've read about opiate wd. As stated, alcohol wd is a different thing entirely, but since you are asking to compare heroin WD or a hangover, that's the question I've answered.

Honestly, if anything, some of these opiate wds sound more like a nasty nasty menstrual period (like the 20+ hrs screaming in horrendous pain vomiting diarrhea wishing to die desperately need hormone regulation) more than an alcohol hangover. Hangovers suck but really, on the spectrum of things that cause that general symptom set, it doesn't rate too high.

^^^

From the way people describe opiate withdrawal I'd say the closest symptoms I've ever experienced to it are from food poisoning - you know it's not going to kill you but you half wish it would it feels so terrible.

^nothing will compare to withdrawals from opiates/benzos/alcohol until you have experienced it. Food poisoning can be very uncomfortable, but it usually passes after several hours and does not produce the horrible pain all over/mental anguish that you would get from withdrawals from the mentioned above.

heroin withdrawal is so much worse, at least with alcohol you know it'll be gone within a few hours of waking up.

^nothing will compare to withdrawals from opiates/benzos/alcohol until you have experienced it. Food poisoning can be very uncomfortable, but it usually passes after several hours and does not produce the horrible pain all over/mental anguish that you would get from withdrawals from the mentioned above.

I think he was more getting at the "alcohol hangover" part...I'd certainly rather have one than food poisoning. I likened the opiates to period cramps although all of these are very different, they are on some sort of spectrum with the same type of symptoms, but varying degrees. I'm also guessing he just means the physical wd part since an alcohol hangover doesn't include the mental feelings after the physical stuff subsides.

I have had some nasty hangovers had alcohol poisoning multiple times and would gladly have it again if I could avoid opiate withdraw. The flu comparison really pisses me off I like the line from trainspotting something to the effect of I want to lock dr so and so in a room giving him multiple heroin injections a day for 2 weeks then see if hes not begging for a hit after 8 hours. The flu lol I wish.

I think he was more getting at the "alcohol hangover" part...I'd certainly rather have one than food poisoning. I likened the opiates to period cramps although all of these are very different, they are on some sort of spectrum with the same type of symptoms, but varying degrees. I'm also guessing he just means the physical wd part since an alcohol hangover doesn't include the mental feelings after the physical stuff subsides.

Yep, I was talking about the physical part only. When you've got a bad hangover or a nasty case of alcohol poisoning is usually the time you make rash statements about never drinking again, so the mental aspect is quite different.

What I have always wondered though is why WDs seem pretty consistent among opiate users but not nearly so much among alcohol abusers. Only a couple of people within our large group of alcohol abusers ever had withdrawals when they stopped suddenly despite us all consistently drinking roughly the same amount over the same period of time.

^^^

From the way people describe opiate withdrawal I'd say the closest symptoms I've ever experienced to it are from food poisoning - you know it's not going to kill you but you half wish it would it feels so terrible.

Food poisoning is indeed a nightmare. Got it one time from some bad shrimp. But as bad as it is, it pales in comparison to an Oxy. WD.

The intense food poisoning symptoms will be over in 5-6 hrs., while opiate WDs will just be warming up. I almost shiver just thinking about WDs. Shit.:p

Best

Last edited:
Food poisoning is indeed a nightmare. Got it one time from some bad shrimp. But as bad as it is, it pales in comparison to an Oxy. WD.

The intense food poisoning symptoms will be over in 5-6 hrs., while opiate WDs will just be warming up. I almost shiver just think about WDs. Shit.:p

Best

I'd imagine one of the worst thing about opiate withdrawals is knowing there's a simple means to make them go away - that has to add a layer of mental anguish which isn't present with the flu, alcohol poisoning, food poisoning etc (all of which you just pretty much have to ride out).

I'd imagine one of the worst thing about opiate withdrawals is knowing there's a simple means to make them go away - that has to add a layer of mental anguish which isn't present with the flu, alcohol poisoning, food poisoning etc (all of which you just pretty much have to ride out).

Yeah, the mental aspects are terrible. The first signs of WD, for me, is non-stop yawning. From there, I know in 12 or so hours, I'll be suffering death. At that point, I have became so wound up, I have suffered panic attacks, just THINKING about whats to come.
I have often dropped to the floor, searching for "chips" of a pill, made while crushing it. I have found an entire pill before, all be it, rarely. Damn, thats like winning the lottery! Bizarre thoughts, huh?

Best

^^^

I have had food poisoning multiple times, and its nowhere near as bad as a heroin WD. At least with the flu or food poisoning you can sleep. In full on opiate WD your up for days, sweating an feeling like theres a ticking time bomb in your body ready to explode