Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What'd you think? I watched this over Christmas, my brother-in-law chose (and paid for) it. Certainly a lot of acting talent on display, but kind of... silly? aimless? I'm not sure.
I wouldn't say that, i mean it's some kinda comedy that we got used to since The Grand Budapest Hotel, but it's still refreshing, and beside the play of the cast which is off course at the level of what we could expect for this kinda cinematic level, but beyond that the scenario is more than good and the realisation is totally experimental, so yes, i found it particullary refreshing, it's a new step in Wes Anderson's work, personnally i loved it beside maybe the passage in cartoons, but it aim to be so heterogenic, as we can see from the beginning scenes, that it doesn't shock more than that. I won't rate it cause i hate that but still a pretty damn good movie!

I wouldn't say that, i mean it's some kinda comedy that we got used to since The Grand Budapest Hotel, but it's still refreshing, and beside the play of the cast which is off course at the level of what we could expect for this kinda cinematic level, but beyond that the scenario is more than good and the realisation is totally experimental, so yes, i found it particullary refreshing, it's a new step in Wes Anderson's work, personnally i loved it beside maybe the passage in cartoons, but it aim to be so heterogenic, as we can see from the beginning scenes, that it doesn't shock more than that. I won't rate it cause i hate that but still a pretty damn good movie!
Hmm, after reading that, I feel like giving the movie another chance. I do respect Wes Anderson for pushing the limits of his visual aesthetic, something that's lacking these days.

I found the inclusion of the cartoon passage kind of mystifying. Do you think he chose to do it that way purely for artistic reasons?

Nothing in the scene looked like it would've been impossible to film, but it might've been expensive with all the action. I started to think maybe it was done because he ran out of money...

Do you think he chose to do it that way purely for artistic reasons?
Off course he did, but it's a discutable artistic choice, like the scenes in black/white, the Sazerac segment, or the unexpected uses of french while you don't expect it, it's a choice made by the artist and i respect that, but i remember being too high to follow this particullary passage, it's the end of the movie and i was turning asleep

Licorice Pizza (2021)

I have generally enjoyed Paul Thomas Anderson's most famous works such as Boogie Nights, There Will be Blood, and Hard Eight. Magnolia was a flop for me but others seemed to like it. Licorice Pizza may well fall in that latter camp, personally.

The lead characters are played by believably young and naïve looking actors, the male being the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman's son. He does a great job following in his father's footsteps, and I cannot fault any of the acting here as bad. And yet... something was missing. The film sorta bored me; I kept checking my watch every fifteen or so minutes past the one hour mark. It was a very relatable film with a relatable plot. I couldn't help but like most of the characters. Bradley Cooper had a brief cameo of sorts as a douchebag. This seems to be his new type-cast lately (see: War Dogs), and I'm not sure why because he pulls off regular acting better IMO.

Anyhow, it was a decent film, but slow in its pacing and dare I say it... tired and boring with the soundtrack? Not what I expected from P.T. Anderson. Worth it on $5 Tuesdays but not really worth the prime time $12.50 in my book.

6.5/10

Hmm, after reading that, I feel like giving the movie another chance. I do respect Wes Anderson for pushing the limits of his visual aesthetic, something that's lacking these days.

I found the inclusion of the cartoon passage kind of mystifying. Do you think he chose to do it that way purely for artistic reasons?

Nothing in the scene looked like it would've been impossible to film, but it might've been expensive with all the action. I started to think maybe it was done because he ran out of money...
I enjoyed The French Dispatch for what it was; somewhat original, very Wes Anderson, and in the style of The Grand Budapest Hotel which is of course a classic comedy for the ages.

I think I reviewed it pages ago... probably gave it a 7/10. Not his best film but mad decent next to many 2021 releases I've seen recently.

Monster (2003)

"Monster" depicts the life of Aileen Wuornos, a prostitute and serial killer who murdered seven people in Florida during the late 80s/early 90s.

I actually thought this movie was really good...I had never seen it until recently but Charlize Theron definitely deserved all the praise she received for her portrayal of Wuornos. It was a humanizing portrayal of someone who had a very difficult life, but at the same time didn't excuse the acts she committed imo. Her characterization of Wournos as someone who was capable of both closely-guarded intimacy and explosive rage was excellent...her relationship with Christina Ricci's character in the film was poignant, I liked that scene in the film where they're in the motel and she whispers "I love you" to her for the first time, like she's almost embarrassed to express that vulnerability to another person. Just a fantastic performance imo

I watched Sicario and Sicario: Day of the Soldado back-to-back last weekend. Much preferred the sequel, actually.

Monster (2003)

"Monster" depicts the life of Aileen Wuornos, a prostitute and serial killer who murdered seven people in Florida during the late 80s/early 90s.
Have you seen the Nick Broomfield documentaries on Aileen Wuornos? One was made soon after the trial in 1992, the other was made in 2003 as she was going to be executed. They are well worth seeking out if you liked Monster.

I've seen Monty Python Holy Grail quite a few times, but only watched Life of Brian for the first time a few nights ago. As expected, it was fucking hilarious though I do wish it had been a bit longer.
Yeah, I actually saw it in a theater when it first came out and of course (like Holy Grail) I've watched it several times since. Not only fucking hilarious but absolutely brilliant!

🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

Fantastic pandemic ‘social media’ (basically group video call) horror - the drug element makes it even more atmospheric I thought.

Licorice Pizza (2021)

I have generally enjoyed Paul Thomas Anderson's most famous works such as Boogie Nights, There Will be Blood, and Hard Eight. Magnolia was a flop for me but others seemed to like it. Licorice Pizza may well fall in that latter camp, personally.

The lead characters are played by believably young and naïve looking actors, the male being the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman's son. He does a great job following in his father's footsteps, and I cannot fault any of the acting here as bad. And yet... something was missing. The film sorta bored me; I kept checking my watch every fifteen or so minutes past the one hour mark. It was a very relatable film with a relatable plot. I couldn't help but like most of the characters. Bradley Cooper had a brief cameo of sorts as a douchebag. This seems to be his new type-cast lately (see: War Dogs), and I'm not sure why because he pulls off regular acting better IMO.

Anyhow, it was a decent film, but slow in its pacing and dare I say it... tired and boring with the soundtrack? Not what I expected from P.T. Anderson. Worth it on $5 Tuesdays but not really worth the prime time $12.50 in my book.

6.5/10
(name of a beloved record store in the 80`s in california as well) have to check that film out

Iboga Nights

Watched it last night and not sure what I think of it all. Although this is one "angle" on the substance I feel that iboga will be used more widely as another opioid "crutch" of sorts. We all looking for the easy rout when facing pains or uncomfortable days. I just hope it doesn't become abused but we know it will. lol
What don't we abuse?
I will opine that the doc was interesting and shot by a junkie about junkies and I suppose for junkies. It was actually entertaining for me at times. lol
This could easily trip some triggers so be warned.

Iboga Nights

Watched it last night and not sure what I think of it all. Although this is one "angle" on the substance I feel that iboga will be used more widely as another opioid "crutch" of sorts. We all looking for the easy rout when facing pains or uncomfortable days. I just hope it doesn't become abused but we know it will. lol
What don't we abuse?
I will opine that the doc was interesting and shot by a junkie about junkies and I suppose for junkies. It was actually entertaining for me at times. lol
This could easily trip some triggers so be warned.
Iboga cannot be abused.Its nothing like anything else-shroom,cacti,acid....its a very long lasting trip,very hard and heavy on body and mind.Also its not an easy way to combat an addiction-you take risk,if you do it on your own to die(thay say one in every 300) die.this is more dangerous than a couple of adrenaline sports,the fear of such meeting with this mighty force is huge and realize,that from one point there is no turning back.The pressure on your psyche is enormous.This a very,very powerful plant.Usually most users are desperate addicts thats are almost dead and got nothing to loose except their shitty miserable lifes.By the way first episode is from 2003 i guess.Its called"Detox or die"

(name of a beloved record store in the 80`s in california as well) have to check that film out
Last film was The matrix 4.After first movie all others are just pathetic way to make more and more money on the top of the legendary label-The Matrix...but anyway Keanu is great.I like him very much.

Watched (in order):

The Matrix: Reloaded (4/10)

The Animatrix (6/10)

The Matrix: Revolutions (5/10)

All pretty bad movies... the first two or three shorts in The Animatrix were decent for lore building but it was otherwise a very blah film. Reloaded was the worst of the bunch and the most obvious cash-grab. Revolutions was okay, at least it had some decent-ish plot and made some sense.

Can't say I'm looking forward to seeing Resurrections. I have a feeling if it isn't groundbreaking like the original film it'll fall among the other three films, into obscurity and "if you're a completionist" lists on imdb.

Iboga cannot be abused
I get the idea of this but nit sure it's advised to do this on the regular. I can see a mf doing this once, twice or thrice in a lifetime but to use this means to bypass any discomfort just because it is uncomfortable may lead to issues or death like a lot of other products (maybe not for some but for others). I would consider this abuse in any sense. I would bet all the plastic I have that this godsend will become abused and probably outlawed because people wont understand it or it will get in the ways of profits.
I respect anything with that much kung-fu. I'm just saying that ime there are no free lunches.
Fuck... to get off a deadly/killing habit of opioids and have a fresh start is a miracle. They aint cheap. Everything is disposable these days or treated as such... there are consequences for all of it.
Much love and best always,
J

Status
Not open for further replies.