Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) the other day on a heavy psilacetin/3-ho-pce trip. I've seen it before but this time I became more solidly invested in it, noticing things I didn't notice the first time. It's an absolute gem of a film. I'd watched Being John Malkovich twice recently, and I think ESotSM was a lot better; not funnier, but deeper.

I really love these two Charlie Kaufman films though guys. I'd give them both a 10/10 rating and say everyone should see both before they die.

Synecdoche, New York is his best film in my opinion, its worth checking out. It is also his weirdest film perhaps (and his other films are already pretty weird).

Maniac (2012)
Maniac-UK-Quad.jpg

I loved this movie. I have never seen the original but I can hardly think that it's better. Great performance of the guy that played Frodo in the LOTR. Wonderful soundtrack. In general, I really like psychological horror movies. 8.5 / 10

I watched "Borat: Subsequent Movie Film" (2020) and I thought it was alright, but nothing too special ultimately. Although I really enjoyed the first Borat film and thought it was hilarious, I'm not sure that it has the same kind of impact today as it did in 2006 when I was 16. With shows like "The Eric Andre Show" having advanced that kind of political incorrectness/shock humor/social awkwardness further, I don't think it shines as bright.

Also, I just don't feel as sold on the premise and the introduction of his daughter as his supporting lead and it felt much more contrived. Who knows, maybe lightning just wasn't going to strike twice for this franchise. I do think Sacha Baron Cohen is quite brilliant and adept at weaving in social commentary through humor and absurd situations, but this felt like a bit of a dull cash grab compared to Bruno, the first Borat, Ali G or his "This Is America" series. I chuckled and cringed a few times. Anyhow, 6/10 - Not really worth going out of your way to watch, but alright to smoke a little weed to and veg out watching.

I watched "Borat: Subsequent Movie Film" (2020) and I thought it was alright, but nothing too special ultimately. Although I really enjoyed the first Borat film and thought it was hilarious, I'm not sure that it has the same kind of impact today as it did in 2006 when I was 16. With shows like "The Eric Andre Show" having advanced that kind of political incorrectness/shock humor/social awkwardness further, I don't think it shines as bright.

Also, I just don't feel as sold on the premise and the introduction of his daughter as his supporting lead and it felt much more contrived. Who knows, maybe lightning just wasn't going to strike twice for this franchise. I do think Sacha Baron Cohen is quite brilliant and adept at weaving in social commentary through humor and absurd situations, but this felt like a bit of a dull cash grab compared to Bruno, the first Borat, Ali G or his "This Is America" series. I chuckled and cringed a few times. Anyhow, 6/10 - Not really worth going out of your way to watch, but alright to smoke a little weed to and veg out watching.

Love it Borat.
How is Bruno? I've never watch it because of the bad reviews. But many times I watch movies with bad reviews and I like them anyway.
I would love to see SBC in more dramatic roles.

Love it Borat.
How is Bruno? I've never watch it because of the bad reviews. But many times I watch movies with bad reviews and I like them anyway.
I would love to see SBC in more dramatic roles.

SBC was quite good in the recent "Trial of the Chicago Seven," though he did function as a sort of comic relief, it's without a doubt a more serious role as a political drama. I didn't actually like the movie all that much personally (I was also ridiculously stoned and fell asleep before it finished), with that said, I did like SBC's performance.

Bruno is pretty fucking hilarious and is worth a watch imo. It is super ridiculous and makes fun of celebrity in a pretty well-calculated, biting and absurdist way.

Watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 last night. Was ok to pass the time, but not quite up to what I was expecting from various reviews.

5.5/10

My sentiments exactly. I was expecting some kind of amazing and gripping legal drama... Definitely was disappointed by it.

^ the gentlemen was great but i still think lock stock... is still his best film.

alasdair

A Separation (2011)

RAifn6EdcA73evp_rR4YSxvbqgU6q_MNtVHzhPiEGcxcIwyupegop2HZiCSSedL5TnmOgm8xmQo5WjxVOJNGcZL_xCTbvEVxAIBV2pSV-mujlUF0fFpoKMHwsuGA

I have never watch much Middle East cinema but I loved this movie. It allowed me to better understand the customs and relationships of an Iranian family. I was only left with the impression they showed in Argo, where all Iranians were sons of bitches. 9/10

^ the gentlemen was great but i still think lock stock... is still his best film.

alasdair

Meh. I didn't like The Gentleman very much.

IMO.
1. Snatch
2. Lock and Stock
3. Rock 'n' Rolla
4. Man from U.N.C.L.E.
5. Sherlock Holmes
6. The Gentleman
7. That movie with Madonna
8. King Arthur
9. Revolver

Cape Fear (1991)

Don't know how I quite feel about this film. On one hand, I feel it was one of the better Martin Scorsese movies I've seen; on the other, I didn't really enjoy it somehow. The plot was decent enough, DeNiro did some good acting, but something about it just didn't strike my fancy. A lot of interesting allusions throughout. Overall, I'd say it was only worth the one watch though.

6.5/10

Dune (1984) (Extended Release)

I recently finished reading Frank Herbert's book and felt a desire to re-watch the David Lynch adaptation (as I'd seen it years ago.) I felt a number of things were done wrong; you could see Lynch's own interpretation colliding with what I felt was pretty straight forward stuff from the novel. The stillsuits were cool enough but not how I imagined. The soundtrack by Toto.... ugh. Theme music by Brian Eno? Yes please!

Cameos from people like Sting, the great choice of Patrick Stewart as Gurney, Kyle MacLachlen as Paul, and many others from later Lynch films/Twin Peaks really helped maintain my interest. Overall, I can see why Lynch considers this film to be his worst work.

All that said, I watched the 'extended' version with the Prologue and the voice overs. I have a feeling Lynch's original film might have been a bit better.

I look forward to Denis Villeneuve's adaptation next Fall, but I'm not over the moon about many of his cast picks... I'll give Lynch that, he did a great job casting for Dune.

6/10 - tolerable and worthwhile if you're into the novels/sci-fi, but falls way short of the mark.

i hated Cape Fear. haven’t seen it in 15 or so years but remember julliette lewis’s character being unbearable (as usual). deniro biting a piece of the woman’s face off is the only worthwhile shot in the film.

^^ These guys are crazy. Cape Fear is terrific. Almost or as good as the original. Perhaps De Niro's last great performance imo.

I watch The Quiet (2005). I must confess that I only watched for Elisha Cuthbert and Camilla Belle. It's not too bad. At least it's entertaining and captivating. The ending is maybe a little too much. 7/10

the-quiet-poster.jpg

Watched, The Conjuring (the second time with peeps, who hadn't - the joy of arrogance at their jump-scare, reaction😉)

Good show 7/10 tbf

Now watching,

Halloween III, for the umpteenth time.

👌

13 Assassins. I wanna say I'd seen it in the past but I might not have? :unsure: I tend to get movies confused with one another. I have a terribad memory when it comes to movies. I enjoyed the film. Though I may be biased as generally speaking Takashi Miike = I'm gonna enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.