Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Whats The Deal With All Of These Movies Being Redone

I made a bet with a friend years ago that at the rate movies are being remade, eventually they're going to remake The Wizard of Oz. Now that that's being done I think I'm going to double down with Gone With the Wind.

The Wizard of Oz.

8o Ok ok I retract my statement about the hitting rock bottom thing. I don't want to tempt fate. I didn't hear about it myself, but from what I've been reading in the past few minutes, people having been turning down offers to remake it. SMART move!

If I as a kid in the 80s can enjoy a film made in 1939... well yeah... I mean like, what the fuck Warner Brothers...

Anyone else read the thread title in Jerry Seinfeld's voice?

Anyway, at some point they have to run out of movies to remake. Unless, dare I say, Hollywood ventures into the territory of remaking a remake? Those bastards.

It's a safe investment for studios/producers.
People will go see it if it's a recognizable brand.
Even the anti-remake purists seem to go see remakes in order to criticize them.
As long as it's profitable, they'll keep making them...

they're not remaking wizard of oz. i thought they were coming out with a prequel. because there's a lot of oz stories. they all ready did another oz movie after the original. i think it was "return to oz" or something. it was like really creepy, think it was mid/late 80s-early 90s?

^Yeah, Fairuza Balk was in that one iirc.

I found a IMDB entry for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz which has literally no information.

There are some other Wizard of Oz projects in the works over the next couple years, but no definite word on a remake or prequel as far as I know.

I don't have a problem with them eventually remaking the Wizard of Oz because it was an originally a story well before it was a movie script. Sure the 1930's movie is pretty cool and incredible for it's time but it is just one interpretation. It is like the story of Robin Hood or Jesus, I don't believe 1930's Hollywood should hold a monopoly on this story.

When they remade Psycho scene for scene, using almost identical camera angles, I actually thought it was a clever homage to Hitchcock. That is about where I draw the line however. Cutting edge technology is not the only reason to remake a classic. Even more terrible is trying to remake a classic with a modern view point, Planet of the Apes I'm looking at you. Footloose looks like a cringe worthy rip off to the original with the main charcter driving the same car as well as having hair and dressing the same. What gets my goat is the original is great to watch because of the 80's setting. Changing tractors to buses and introducing the latest dance moves is just an insult. I would rather they just ripped the storyline and called it something else so I could just sit there and complain, "Oh that is just Footloose in Miami". I doubt the original soundtrack could be topped.

I'll admit I will download a pirate copy and watch it still. :(

I don't like any of these remakes, but I'm holding out for the remakes of the remakes; those might be pretty good.

Ridley Scott is planning another Blade Runner. Link.

Kind of annoys me though, was hoping Brave New World would be next on the cards for Scott :(