• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What mg of xanax shoud I limit myself to in one day?

AllysonMarie

Greenlighter
When I have a supply of bars I like to take 2 at once (4mgs). However the high is gone within 3-4 hours and I take another 2 bars, repeating the process throughout the day just to have a blast and walk on cloud nine. They aren't too easy to get my hands on but when I get lucky I love to take them. By then end of the night I can't stay awake to save my life and my boyfriend has had to violently shake me to wake up and go to bed because I am in such a deep sleep. It's awesome but he worries. I find myself forgetting or having to be reminded of what happened when I got to high. I do not take any pain killers for they make me vomit and feel like dying, and I also do not smoke anything. I feel perfectly fine. The only difference I notice when I don't have them are the unexpected panic attacks. They have never been severe. But the Xanax just make me very happy and care-free. Any feedback friends?

After a few years of battling with Benzos, I would limit all benzo usage as much as possible. They really are a horrible drug; they make you feel good but each time you stop you feel worse and worse. And tolerance builds quickly. So, more than just limiting it to a cetain amount Dally, I would make sure you have long periods without it AT ALL. I started on small amounts, 2-4mg and it wasn't long before I was on 10-20 times that or the equivalent of another benzo. Been through a few rapid detoxes (hell on earth) and have now been tapering for coming up to 3 years and finally down to about the dose you're on. And scared. I no longer have any effect from them whatsoever, only if I DONT have them. And all the reasons i first took them are magnified 100 fold.

Good luck and be careful with those benzos. They are a massive trap. As you said yourself, when you have them you jusr take more and more. It's so easy to do with benzos but the cost is huge

Last edited:
When I have a supply of bars I like to take 2 at once (4mgs). However the high is gone within 3-4 hours and I take another 2 bars, repeating the process throughout the day just to have a blast and walk on cloud nine. They aren't too easy to get my hands on but when I get lucky I love to take them. By then end of the night I can't stay awake to save my life and my boyfriend has had to violently shake me to wake up and go to bed because I am in such a deep sleep. It's awesome but he worries. I find myself forgetting or having to be reminded of what happened when I got to high. I do not take any pain killers for they make me vomit and feel like dying, and I also do not smoke anything. I feel perfectly fine. The only difference I notice when I don't have them are the unexpected panic attacks. They have never been severe. But the Xanax just make me very happy and care-free. Any feedback friends?

with the attitude you have towards xanax and well.... the way you're using it irresponsibly
you're on the fast lane to having issues one day that could be life threatening
i really hope you reevaluate the outlook you have on xanax its by no means a kiddie drug and the outcome can be hellish
xanax isnt a long lasting benzo by any stretch its designed to be in and out meaning to stop a panic attack dead in its tracks and to leave

Last edited:
The panic attacks will get worse when you're not on them - stop using them to get high / as a coping mechanism.

The worst case scenario is you'll develop a physical dependency that could give you a life threatening seizure if you stopped cold turkey.

At most try and limit your usage to 4mg a month.

4mg/month? That's unnecessarily low for anyone, and op is reporting that amount as her usual dose.

OP, start tapering down. How long have you been taking that much each day for? You can probably taper quick if the answer is "not long".

If you can take a couple bars for shits n giggles once a week when u wanna have fun but just 0.5mg/day for the anxiety, you'd be much better off than you are now.

Everyone warning against benzo dependency/withdrawal are right, its worse than H in that regard.

As others have been saying, benzos along with pretty much any other DOC can be hell coming off of but benzos especially. Opiate withdrawals typically will not kill you unless you already have a compromised health issue, HOWEVER, withdrawing from benzos can absolutely cause life threatening issues including seizures. If you intend to taper please do it slowly and carefully and stick with it. If you are going to continue your usage just please read over a few HR stories about long-term/high-dose benzo usage. Good luck my friend.

You already take way too much.

Progressing tolerance and dependence is inevitable unless you cut down radically.

Like the others are saying taking 2 2mg bars at once is a large dose and taking that numerous times a day would be very physically addicting.

Try lowering the doses you take at once. People always think they need waay more of alprazolam to get high. Limiting to 2mg xanax once a day is still risky with respect to addiction. Taking xanax less often, like every 1-3 days, will result in less of a tolerance relative to taking 2mg everyday, and the high feelings of xanax could persist longer (in the sense that SWIY are able to feel 'high' on 2mg for 6 months versus if SWIY takes 2mg everyday, they might only get that 'high' feeling for 1 month until they need to increase the dosage) than if taken everyday.

Try substituting xanax or satisfying your xanax cravings sometimes with other benzos, the ones that doctors tell us are not addicting like xanax. SWIM has been using ativan 2mg for sleep recently and SWIMs xanx use has plummeted from 4-5x a week to 1x a week.

There are other pharmacological ways of making alprazolam stay around longer in your system, therefore giving you the feeling of xanax for a longer period of time (about 2-3 more hours than xanax regularly lasts). SWIM uses cimetidine and grapefruit to potentiate the xanax by blocking a certain enzyme that breaks down alprazolam. But just try and keep the doses low man. If you find yourself going over 6-10mg of xanax a day, seek a real psychiatrist and a second opinion because you will definitely be having serious anxiety issues among others if you continue to use upwards of 4mg xanax multiple times a day.

I would taper down some and switch to a benzo like klonipon just to prevent withdrawal.