• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What makes video games so addicting?

Because I can do everything I always wanted to do in real life like run people over and assault pedestrians but not face prison time. =D

Because I can do everything I always wanted to do in real life like run people over and assault pedestrians but not face prison time. =D
rmfaol!!!! Yes very much so,I used to play vice city and I'd put in a cheat code of invincibility and I'd start mowing down LE,running over drug dealers,yanking people out of their car and jacking them. It definetly has it's entertainment appeal!

Nutskin I see you are backed from the banished!

I used to play video games all day every day. I don't find them enjoyable in the slightest anymore though, I actually feel like i have to go out of my way to play a game and that it's too much work now. All depends on your state of mind I guess.

You burned yourself out.

I used to feel "high" when I played MMORPG'S or stuff like competetive Counter-strike.

These days? Shit, I'd rather watch a documentary. Video games are hella tedious to me these days

I've never found them to be particularly addicting or even fun, for some reason...I have a console and everything, but I almost never play it. I wish I could find enjoyment out of video games, as it seems like a good solitary activity, but they just bore me for some reason...

Same with me, I'd wish I'd enjoyed video games as much as I've been seeing. For me I guess it would be less destructive and a distraction in crucial moments. Or maybe that was not our DOC or the reason we got addicted.

Last edited:
You burned yourself out.

I used to feel "high" when I played MMORPG'S or stuff like competetive Counter-strike.

These days? Shit, I'd rather watch a documentary. Video games are hella tedious to me these days
Sounds about right. I've found that recently I'd rather lay in bed doing nothing than get up and play video games. I used to love MMORPGs, and the adrenaline rush I got from gambling in them or fighting a big boss...amazing. Or knowing I was almost always top of the boards in csgo just made me so happy. Now I couldn't give less of a shit about any of that. It's almost sad. :(

But all good things must come to an end. I suppose that's why I picked up drugs in the first place. I lost my previous escape from reality and needed a new one.

Sounds about right. I've found that recently I'd rather lay in bed doing nothing than get up and play video games. I used to love MMORPGs, and the adrenaline rush I got from gambling in them or fighting a big boss...amazing. Or knowing I was almost always top of the boards in csgo just made me so happy. Now I couldn't give less of a shit about any of that. It's almost sad. :(

But all good things must come to an end. I suppose that's why I picked up drugs in the first place. I lost my previous escape from reality and needed a new one.

I have to disagree with you on this one. A videogame can be more real than any real life. What you feel is very real and your reality is what you feel. Matters fuckall if the feeling is triggered by a woman, a videogame or a drug, what matters is how you feel, that's your reality. You feeling good is 1000x more real than you not feeling much. People have the misconception that if you feel nothing you're in reality and if you feel pleasure you quit reality. I say, reality is enhanced, never escaped.

How can you escape reality...where would you go where your body cannot follow you? It's illogical. Don't buy into that kind of bullshit that disphoric, homophobic, overworked capitalists feed you with.

Video games (especially highly competitive things like online FPS) are addictive because they push those pleasure buttons in a similar way to addictive drugs.
As a child and teenager I was absolutely obsessed with gaming, like pbuilder that should probably have been a big red flag for addictive tendencies - whaddya know I grew up to be an addict in every sense.

If you want a whole new level of obsession: stimulants and video games together tend to turn entire days into 30 minutes.