• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had taken 1000 mg of MDMA in 2002 I would not have been able to walk. I may have blacked out. No amount of low prices would have changed that, or changed the fact that I got where I needed to be off 1-2 pills.
You are making the assumption that usage goes up because the price has dropped, but if that is true, then the effects would also go up along with usage. People should be MORE fucked up than they were before the usage escalated, not LESS fucked up than they were before the usage escalated.
We just went over how tolerance exists. And some of the effects certainly do increase. You can find lots of posts from the heavy users talking about how their mouths have been cut or damaged by heavy jaw clenching and teeth grinding.

Sure, there are always kids who do foolish things. But, most responsible alcohol users measure their shots when they make their drinks. It isn't because of money, it is because nobody really enjoys getting blackout drunk. Achieving the correct state of "fucked up" makes the night more enjoyable. After you cross a certain line, what is the point?
I bet the venn diagram of people people who take a gram of MDMA in a single night and people who like to drink until they are sloppy drunk/blacked out is a single circle. Again did you miss the part where I pointed out the horrific UK drinking culture that many of the high dose users are also taking part in?

Edit: I'll repost part of an old comment of mine. If the problem is that much more MDMA is needed to feel the effects dosages should be up universally (or at least in Europe where nearly all MDMA comes from the same source). They aren't. It's pretty clear that there's a deep cultural problem in the UK (and Ireland).

Here's some data from the 2019 Global Drugs Survey:
RyXcs57.png

In many countries, most people don't take more than 200mg of MDMA in a total session (I'm only looking at powder since it's impossible to know the dosages of the pills). And if I remember the survey questions correctly, they only offered 100mg increments for the question. So the that 200mg number includes everyone in that 120mg - 150mg range (as it's more than 100mg).

Last edited:
So now magic MDMA didn't build any tolerance? There was never anybody at the raves back in the day who kept munching on pills all night?

Does increasing the dose of mehDMA have effects or not?

If you look at reddit experience reports, 100mg is still a wonderful ecstasy experience. If you buy capsules they are still almost always sold as "one point" (100mg). If higher doses are required with current MDMA, why hasn't the dosage of capsules increased as well?

Of course magic MDMA builds tolerance, only if you use it incorrectly. It seems based on the research some form of neurotoxicity and tolerance go hand in hand. I’m someone who’s never built tolerance because I only use 6-8 times a year max with some of those years only being 1-2. Probably averaged 4-6 over the years.

As to your 2nd point, idk I’m not the one to ask on meh product. My rolls are (almost) all still magic. I’ve had only a few meh batches over the years but they exist.

Ok... And then people eat 5 of em. Yes folks back in the day on occasion ate excessive amounts but it wasn’t necessary as it seems these days. Also excessive amounts was still much lower than the supposedly reported amounts these days. 250-300mg being like the absolute max.

-GC

We just went over how tolerance exists. And some of the effects certainly do increase. You can find lots of posts from the heavy users talking about how their mouths have been cut or damaged by heavy jaw clenching and teeth grinding.

I bet the venn diagram of people people who take a gram of MDMA in a single night and people who like to drink until they are sloppy drunk/blacked out is a single circle. Again did you miss the part where I pointed out the horrific UK drinking culture that many of the high dose users are also taking part in?

Edit: I'll repost part of an old comment of mine. If the problem is that much more MDMA is needed to feel the effects dosages should be up universally (or at least in Europe where nearly all MDMA comes from the same source). They aren't. It's pretty clear that there's a deep cultural problem in the UK (and Ireland).

Here's some data from the 2019 Global Drugs Survey:
RyXcs57.png

In many countries, most people don't take more than 200mg of MDMA in a total session (I'm only looking at powder since it's impossible to know the dosages of the pills). And if I remember the survey questions correctly, they only offered 100mg increments for the question. So the that 200mg number includes everyone in that 120mg - 150mg range (as it's more than 100mg).

Lol dude your too much. You love to slice data to fit your needs. What does that bright orange Global say? .3g. I’m assuming that’s a global average.

Much higher than what people used to take.

-GC

Lol dude your too much. You love to slice data to fit your needs. What does that bright orange Global say? .3g. I’m assuming that’s a global average.

Much higher than what people used to take.

-GC
Why are Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany taking 200mg a night? Outside of the cultural problems (UK and Ireland) the countries taking at least 300mg are largely poorer countries or much more distant from producer countries (or both), making the MDMA sold in them much more likely to be cut requiring higher doses.
Also remember this is amount per day, so it includes the initial dose and any redose.

Last edited:
...making the MDMA sold in them much more likely to be cut requiring higher doses.

So, you agree that outside of cultural factors, the reason to need higher doses of MDMA would include low purity products?

There is a whole lot of debate going on here for not a lot of reason.

@Negi, the reddit link you posted shows the kind of eye dilation that I would expect from MDMA use overall. There are plenty of people posting reasonable doses with significant mydriasis. Even if we ignore the people taking heroic doses and just eliminate them from the dataset and assume there are cultural factors at play that cause them to consume these doses, we still have several excellent examples of MDMA induced mydriasis.

170 mg -
230 mg -
200 mg -

I'm not sure what this proves though, other than supporting the fact that lower doses of MDMA should produce mydriasis.

We already know that plenty of people have access to typical, magical, wonderful MDMA as evidenced by regular posters in this thread like @G_Chem and @Le_Junk.

Based on what you have posted with the images and what I have posted from published research, it is reasonable to assume that 125-250 mg of MDMA should produce mydriasis in most users (with the exception of the 8-11% mentioned by @user666).

We still have this issue of lab tested MDMA NOT producing mydriasis in users who previously experienced mydriasis. So, they are not part of the 8-11% of people who have genetic factors at play according to what @user666 commented.

Which brings us back around to the primary question of this thread. What is wrong with (some of) the MDMA available today? Or, to phrase it in a more open manner, "Why do some users experience minimal mydriasis and muted effects of MDMA when consuming lab tested, active doses of 125 mg or more?"

People who do 1000mg of MDMA are not doing this at once....while still a huge dose for one night, they are doing this over many many many hours where Im sure theyre just chasing the high and mostly getting the speedy effects. Yes, it is hard for me fathom taking a g in a night, but I dont think its an impossibility.

Even back in the oldschool days, im sure there were people munchin 8-10 pills a night at an all night rave. I feel like there have even been anectdotal reporta in this very thread of that.

Is there any point in the same people who continually wish to disagree with the premise of this thread by stating over and over, “There is no difference, retire, move on“, continuing to post in it?

I have been taking MDXX substances for 21 years. I’ve had over a thousand pills and capsules of the stuff, in countless of settings, across multiple countries and via every possible route of administration available.

I have been in, taken and otherwise bore witness to, a never ending array of photographs and video footage of people consuming MDXX substances at events from the late 90s right up until today. The appearance of people, including myself, under the influence of what is self evidently a magical MDMA experience, is undeniable. It is not only the massive pupil dilation, but the uncontrollable lower jaw movement and this unique, goofy looking grin that comes without any awareness by the person and is impossible to hide. Then there are the people getting massages on the dancefloor or off it, literally writhing in ecstasy, and not to mention those moments where going to the toilet is an almost religious experience with those in the bathroom joined in solidarity in the almost unachievable experience of actually managing to do so. It was also relevant that it is the majority of people at the old rave parties who exhibited these signs, not just a couple. To this day, I continue to attend music festivals and all night dance events in a semi official capacity and I do not observe the youngsters out there on the dancefloor, who are apparently also on MDMA, even approaching the physical condition that the blissfully busted up punters used to occupy at these events I speak of 10 to 20 years ago.

On the rare occasion you do see a person (or a group of persons and they are always in the same group because they have undoubtedly consumed the same MDMA) in this condition, they stand out like dogs balls; in fact their appearance amongst the rest of the crowd is so comparatively unusual and almost “alien-like” in these more modern times, that you genuinely worry that these most fantastic looking specimens will ultimately be chucked out.

The attached picture is a pretty good illustration. The male in the middle has that unique pasted on grin and the female to his right has drifted into blissful muntedness. Either way both have massive pupils, that is a given, where even only a 100mg dose of the magic MDMA could achieve such a state.
https://images.app.goo.gl/Sq46vixxk6rbanT7A

In addition to this personal experience, I also have a degree in chemistry, a degree in law, and have worked with law enforcement. I know how the substances are manufactured, how they are trafficked and I am familiar with local and worldwide trends over 20 years. I have seen quantitative laboratory analysis results conducted on hundreds and hundreds of seized MDMA pills and powders by fully equipped and highly advanced government forensic laboratories since 2002. I could go on but I think it is fair to assume that I feel well equipped to form a valued judgment on this situation.

So, in my POV, the majority of the MDMA I have sampled in Australia and otherwise bore witness to over the past 8 years, is nothing like what I have previously sampled and previously bore witness to. That is despite the current MDMA pills containing insane doses that would have dropped most of the punters on the floor if consumed as it was 10 to 20 years ago. However, despite this very disappointing period of MDMA consumption, there have been certain samples of MDMA that this busted up old relic has taken over the last few years (including only a month ago), that have been astonishingly good, magic even, at only 120mg doses. My friends with similar MDMA usage histories universally agreed. It was like taking a different drug, the blue coloured one and not the red if you will (great analogy indigo!)

So in summary, my mind is absolutely made up. There is a difference and there must be an objectively, identifiable scientific reason for this difference. No one is going to change my mind on this issue simply by disagreeing with me, or making the same selective comments against this premise every couple of pages or so. I am sure the regular contributors to this thread and who are in this camp would agree.

However, that does not mean for a moment that those who don’t subscribe to this view are not welcome to express them, quite the contrary. But what the people who subscribe to this notion are after in this thread is a critical and sensible evaluation of any potential theories which might explain the differences which we already firmly believe exist.

If a theory is put forward for this difference, for example that modern MDMA is no longer a 50:50 mix of the two possible enantiomers, then positively contribute to this thread by demonstrating scientifically that such an explanation, having regard to modern manufacturing methods, is not possible or that analytical results of appropriate samples have proved it is not the case. Please don’t argue against this potential theory by banging on about set and setting, how old I am, or the size of an 18 year old’s pupils on Reddit. That achieves nothing in the context of a thread that has now reached 288 pages. But if someone can disprove any of the theories put forward by those in support of the premise by actually disproving that specific theory, then that is a fantastic contribution because then this particular explanation can be reliably crossed off the list.

Despite what I have said, I am also not for a moment dissuading new posters to the thread from expressing their opinions on the issue and there have been some most sensible and insightful contributions from Greenlighters in recent days about this. But so much of what has been said by the regulars on both sides lately has not advanced the position and is wasting time, largely because those of us who agree with Le Junk are continually having to defend the underlying premise of the thread like broken records. (Poor indigo has had to defend her position over and over until she is blue in the face, pardon the pun).

Until it is scientifically proven that we are wrong (which will likely require a sample accepted to be magic and a sample accepted to be meh being shown to be chemically identical in the material sense), none of us are going to believe there is something right as opposed to wrong about the majority of MDMA available today.

It doesn’t matter to my belief what anyone says against this unless it is useful to an evaluation of the validity or otherwise of a specific scientific explanation for this situation. I’ll shut up about it when every conceivable potential scientific theory is disproved or discounted, or otherwise if it is proved that certain samples are not chemically different as stated.

But until then I suspect many of us (both for and against the argument) do want to continue to investigate, evaluate and try to find an answer to this issue, an answer which will only be proved one way or the other by scientific means and not endless discussion about everyone’s personal views about the matter (some of which have had to be expressed over and over again and which, until science proves otherwise, are never going to change.)

Contrary to what some people may assume, I suspect those of us in this thread who agree there is something wrong, are not seeking to persuade people of this fact. Rather, we seek to find an answer that we firmly believe can and will be found, and if this comes to pass then it will be all the persuasion that anyone should require.

And perhaps more importantly and to the benefit of everyone, this would likely go a long way to making the majority of MDMA available today “right” again!

Last edited:
Thank you, @Biscuit!!!

Watch out, because when you point out things like this, "Is there any point in the same people who continually wish to disagree with the premise of this thread by stating over and over, “There is no difference, retire, move on“, continuing to post in it?" someone is likely to come along and tell you to fuck off. ;)

You said everything in your post. 100%.

Your pic looks the same as those I have from parties back in the day. That tense-jawed, maniacal grin is unmistakable.

There is a difference and there must be an objectively, identifiable scientific reason for this difference.

I might have to make this my signature. :) I don't need anyone to agree with me on this, all I want is a scientifically plausible answer to what is happening.

Seeing videos like the one Biscuit posted, either there's something terribly wrong with club-goers these days, or there's not a widely available drug that promotes dancing that's still around.

Related but not necessarily the same, I take personal offense to the lack of dancing that I see at shows.

Why are Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany taking 200mg a night? Outside of the cultural problems (UK and Ireland) the countries taking at least 300mg are largely poorer countries or much more distant from producer countries (or both), making the MDMA sold in them much more likely to be cut requiring higher doses.
Also remember this is amount per day, so it includes the initial dose and any redose.

Because they have the purest MDMA available.. Those three places are all known for having good illicit production.

And yea, I’ve never taken more than 200mg in a night...

Also definitely agree with some of those statements Biscuit. Most noteworthy is the overall change in the scene.

As you said, those that are actually rolling these days stand out like a sore thumb. Gone are the days of giving random massages, cuddle puddles, group hugs with half the audience, gifting, etc. Some areas are trying to hold onto the vibe but it’s hard apparently with the kinda product floating around in most circles.

It’s been a long time since someone has annoyed me with their kindness, ya know?

Also I feel some progress has been made... We now know n-formyl-MDMA was most certainly in MDMA during the 90’s and early/mid 00’s. We know it was/is psychoactive. And we are more confident than before that isomers isn’t the issue (to any great extent.)

-GC

Last edited:
Most people are on ketamine in clubs now instead of mdma. I still see people just like biscuits picture here in clubs in new zealand. Just because your mdma sources are trash doesn't mean everybody is getting trash product.

All MDMA is imported here from holland with some expections to some small labs. My pupils always dilate to full black with eyes wide open and my jaw gets ripped to shit from chewing on it like a mad man. I have also seen also mdma cut with alot of cathiones in poor hood areas.

I also believe "high dosed pills" is now a lie and a marketing term infact most testing sites at festivals are just putting estimates on the mdma in them from what the person said instead of actually getting the true amount giving people a wrong impression. I think these Jurassic i had where more like 150 mg of mdma total content still magic instead of the 300 they selling for from DN holland suppliers. Just like how LSD is always overstated especially from holland to make money. 200-250 mg of pure mdma should honestly have a person concerned they might die during the rush of it. Every time i had proper 250 mg pills it would be extremly hard to not puke as it hit at 30-45 minutes the walls would wobble i would have to lie down and put on a cold shower and take deep breathes to stabilize myself many times i have puked a bit from it. at this dose MDMA is visual.

A quarter pill snorted of 240 mg had me on a nice roll. Sometimes it addictive to redose even though its very diminishing returns past 300 mg i really get bad at dosing through a 12 hour night til sunrise for no good reason as the comedowns are horrendous but the culture of mdma abuse in australia, new zealand and the UK is bad.

What is up is that it seems to be more americans than anybody else getting bad product in a country of 300 million people it means your going to encounter more low quality products unless your on the west coast and connected to some international syndicates importing good mdma.

Just because people don't have pupils dilated in a club doesn't mean they took mdma and it was meh they are most likely just on other drugs ketamine has overtaken the rave scene.

I feel like much of that was directed at me, so I'll respond to a few points.

To this day, I continue to attend music festivals and all night dance events in a semi official capacity and I do not observe the youngsters out there on the dancefloor, who are apparently also on MDMA
"Apparently" on MDMA? Are you asking them what they have taken? You may have noticed from the increase in event sizes and commercialization, but things have gone mainstream. At a large commercial music festival alcohol is going to be the most common drug taken. Yeah having a pile of drunk people around is going to change the vibe. I think it would be helpful to keep the thread focused on actual MDMA experiences rather than the fact that music and nightlife trends change over the years.

I have seen quantitative laboratory analysis results conducted on hundreds and hundreds of seized MDMA pills and powders by fully equipped and highly advanced government forensic laboratories since 2002
Your entire premise revolves around the idea that those labs are completely blind to whatever is causing the current mehDMA.

Until it is scientifically proven that we are wrong (which will likely require a sample accepted to be magic and a sample accepted to be meh being shown to be chemically identical in the material sense)
What specific analysis methods would you accept for this? As you mentioned above, "highly advanced government forensic laboratories" have been examining MDMA for well over 20 years and haven't published anything about a change.

none of us are going to believe there is something right as opposed to wrong about the majority of MDMA available today.
This specific view is why I am pushing back against some things, and keep bringing up things from Reddit. I can absolutely accept that some batches of MDMA will have problems during the synthesis that could impact their purity or some effects. I'm not arguing that something like that can't exist. What I am against is the idea that the majority of the MDMA in the world is currently in that state. If you are saying that the majority of the MDMA in the world doesn't give certain effects, then the fact that Reddit is full of reports of those effects should matter. Where are the trip reports that match mehDMA effects? Outside of this thread, everyone is still getting pro-social effects from MDMA. Don't talk to me about the vibe at the nightclub, talk to me about reports from people who have taken tested MDMA.

Listen, I'm very willing to look at the science. I've posted more research papers than anyone else in the in the past ~50 pages, and have spend full afternoons reading through them and searching around. However this thread has given nothing but a moving target, with a number of different theories. It's been very difficult to even get a solid description of the medDMA effects. If you have the background and knowledge, throw out a hypothesis and start looking into it.

Because they have the purest MDMA available.. Those three places are all known for having good illicit production.
So Dutch labs are giving Germans pure MDMA but shipments to the UK are getting cut to 50% purity (since the UK takes twice as much as Germany on average)? Can you show any research to support the idea that MDMA in the UK is less pure?

Just because your mdma sources are trash doesn't mean everybody is getting trash product.
I'm not arguing that something like that can't exist. What I am against is the idea that the majority of the MDMA in the world is currently in that state.

Yes, I agree with the above.

My only issue is that the original post by @Le Junk suggests that there is NO worthy MDMA being manufactured today. This is just not true.

I feel like much of that was directed at me, so I'll respond to a few points.

"Apparently" on MDMA? Are you asking them what they have taken? You may have noticed from the increase in event sizes and commercialization, but things have gone mainstream. At a large commercial music festival alcohol is going to be the most common drug taken. Yeah having a pile of drunk people around is going to change the vibe. I think it would be helpful to keep the thread focused on actual MDMA experiences rather than the fact that music and nightlife trends change over the years.

Your entire premise revolves around the idea that those labs are completely blind to whatever is causing the current mehDMA.

What specific analysis methods would you accept for this? As you mentioned above, "highly advanced government forensic laboratories" have been examining MDMA for well over 20 years and haven't published anything about a change.

This specific view is why I am pushing back against some things, and keep bringing up things from Reddit. I can absolutely accept that some batches of MDMA will have problems during the synthesis that could impact their purity or some effects. I'm not arguing that something like that can't exist. What I am against is the idea that the majority of the MDMA in the world is currently in that state. If you are saying that the majority of the MDMA in the world doesn't give certain effects, then the fact that Reddit is full of reports of those effects should matter. Where are the trip reports that match mehDMA effects? Outside of this thread, everyone is still getting pro-social effects from MDMA. Don't talk to me about the vibe at the nightclub, talk to me about reports from people who have taken tested MDMA.

Listen, I'm very willing to look at the science. I've posted more research papers than anyone else in the in the past ~50 pages, and have spend full afternoons reading through them and searching around. However this thread has given nothing but a moving target, with a number of different theories. It's been very difficult to even get a solid description of the medDMA effects. If you have the background and knowledge, throw out a hypothesis and start looking into it.

So Dutch labs are giving Germans pure MDMA but shipments to the UK are getting cut to 50% purity (since the UK takes twice as much as Germany on average)? Can you show any research to support the idea that MDMA in the UK is less pure?

Did I say that? Germans have many intelligent chemists, maybe not the same level of production but a decent domestic product.

From this article..

“Production of MDMA takes place mainly in the Netherlands and Belgium, and the predominant synthesis technique used is reductive deamination”

And here’s some info on that regarding England..

“In 2018, the mean purity of MDMA powder at user level in England and Wales was 76%.”

76% might seem ok but it really isn’t when we compare to MDMA purity averaging high 90% in the 00’s. I’d have to dig but there’s a thread on here showing average purity of loose MDMA powder/crystal being 98-99% pure in the mid 00’s. (The article spanned a couple years and showed a trend to adding magnesium sulfate in small amounts as the years went on, 1-2% amounts. Likely to increase crystal size.)

A member before showed how one product he had was low 90% and “magic” the other was 80-something % and meh.

It doesn’t take much impurity to ruin product. And ~24% is hardly a small amount of impurities. While some impurities can enhance effect, from my research the common synthesis routes give lackluster product when impure. This is evident in The Hive if you take the time to look.

I’ll dig for more but Negi id slow your roll a bit. Half the articles you post you either don’t truly understand or chop up to your liking. Your good with the search engine I’ll give you that.

-GC

Last edited:
Why would the levels of impurities be different between the Netherlands and the UK though? Reaction impurities are very different from cuts. Are you suggesting they literally use a different synthesis that gives less MDMA when they are making MDMA for export?

@Negi

1. I don’t think observations from raves and other music events are without merit for this thread. You seem to be arguing that MDMA use has just gone down overall at live music events, and it is not as popular as other options such as alcohol. However, based on what I saw at a recent EDM event, there were only a very, very small percentage of people who looked like they were rolling. I find it unlikely that MDMA usage has gone down so much that such a small percentage of people at an EDM event would have been using the drug.

In fact, use of MDMA has gone up in the USA. “The National Survey on Drug Use and Health, found that in 2014 more than 17 million persons aged 12 or older reported using MDMA at least once in their lifetimes.43 This is an increase from 11 million reported 10 years prior.44 In 2014, the number of people who used in the past month was estimated to be 660,000,43 up from 450,000 in 2004.44

From: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicati...is-the-scope-of-mdma-use-in-the-united-states

So, based on that data, we should see an increase in MDMA use at live music events in the United States rather than a decrease.

2. You said, “Your entire premise revolves around the idea that those labs are completely blind to whatever is causing the current mehDMA.” This is false, and an oversimplification of what has been discussed in this thread. Labs that are currently using GCMS as the primary means of identifying drugs for recreational users may be missing certain contaminants. This is specific to GCMS analysis and has been confirmed by multiple research articles posted in this thread. The research articles also discussed that some contaminants may not be observed unless researchers are specifically looking for them.

While labs using GCMS may miss these contaminants, it is possible that more advanced forensic and law enforcement laboratories may be able to identify them. However, if that data is not being specifically collected or analyzed, it may seem of low importance unless the forensics labs are trying to identify how the drugs were manufactured or where they originated. Many of these articles have been posted to this thread as well, and these articles establish how different synthesis routes produce different impurities.

It is not that we think that all labs are blind to what is causing the current MehDMA. It is that we think GCMS may be an ineffective tool for identifying certain impurities when running in an automated fashion. If there was a lab out there with NMR, GCMS, Raman, Liquid Chromatography etc, and we could pay that lab to identify two samples and note the differences, I think we could progress in this conversation very quickly.

3. You said, “What specific analysis methods would you accept for this?”

Several people have answered this question previously. Based on what I have seen in published research, I would like to see the raw GCMS data as well as NMR, Raman, and High-performance liquid chromatography.

4. You said, “As you mentioned above, "highly advanced government forensic laboratories" have been examining MDMA for well over 20 years and haven't published anything about a change.”

That is also false. There have been many published articles that talk about the shift in impurities due to the change in synthesis methods. This has been studied by forensic labs and the information has been published. The issue is that we do not know which impurities are present in the meh samples in comparison to the magic samples because the recreational labs like Drugs Data and IEC are not testing at that level of detail. I am not just hypothesizing this. International Energy Control has told me in writing that they do not usually run the machines at the sensitivity level required to identify byproducts left in the product. If I want that type of analysis run, they will have to change the settings on the machines.

5. “Where are the trip reports that match mehDMA effects? “

Here are a few. There are a lot of reports like this on reddit. Obviously, there could be other explanations for what these posters describe, but the quality of the product could also be an explanation. Just because they are not using the "meh" terminology we have developed in this thread, that does not mean that they are not experiencing something similar.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MDMA/comments/ipzehr/never_been_able_to_recreate_first_time_experience/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MDMA/comments/inxab0/high_tolerance/

But you also have to think about the audience for this subreddit. I notice a lot of really young posters asking questions about first times or basic usage. These young users may simple write off a subpar experience and move on to the next roll.

6. You said, “However this thread has given nothing but a moving target, with a number of different theories. It's been very difficult to even get a solid description of the medDMA effects. If you have the background and knowledge, throw out a hypothesis and start looking into it.”

Research should not start with a hypothesis. Research should start with a research question, and then as you research and learn you are able to develop a hypothesis from the original question. Le Junk’s original post posed a question, so it is normal and natural that various theories have been considered. Yes, there have been multiple potential hypotheses stated in this thread. Unfortunately, in order to move forward with proving any of them, we need access to advanced lab analysis techniques.

One thing I found interesting in one of the posts from reddit was this commentary:

My eyes didn’t dilate a lot and there was no euphoria... I think I took a pretty accurate dose- I am a 19 year old 5f4 70kg female.

I love the effect MDMA normally gives me, but this time there was no euphoria, was still a good roll however. Before I was educated on dosage / testing, I took around 120mg for my first time and there was lots of euphoria and bliss, but I didn’t roll that hard at all.

How is this poster defining a "good roll?"

For me, if there is no euphoria, it is not a "good roll."

Then, she says that for her first roll she had a lot of euphoria and bliss, but didn't "roll hard at all."

I think there is a disconnect in how we are using the terminology vs. how she is using the terminology (and perhaps how many young people are using the terminology).

If the idea of euphoria is somehow separate from the idea of a "good roll," then why is that? What is a "good roll" if it is divorced from euphoria?

Why would the levels of impurities be different between the Netherlands and the UK though? Reaction impurities are very different from cuts. Are you suggesting they literally use a different synthesis that gives less MDMA when they are making MDMA for export?

Very simple. The higher purity product stays at home while the lesser purity product shipped to places like the U.K.

Obviously your gonna want to keep your home country stocked with prime product. Whereas fuck it if some U.K. youth has impure drugs or not. Why send super pure when they’ll buy less pure all the same.

Keep em coming ;)

And no not different synthesis, different purity. 99.99% pure product is the same from any route. If you’d actually read my posts instead of continually throwing cyclical questions that really are getting you nowhere, you’d see I’ve talked about all this many times.

-GC

Those are some interesting reports, and I think a few of them point towards a more individual element as the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MDMA/comments/ilp1if/no_euphoria_mild_buzzy_anxiety_on_roll/ said:
so the first time i took MDMA it was 150 mg and i felt little to no effects. the ones present being a tight jaw and slightly manic
Then in the comments
https://www.reddit.com/r/MDMA/comments/iq6wt6/dose_questions_natural_tolerance/g4pgnz5/ said:
also forgot to mention that all my friends were super high the first time

Bold on this one is mine:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MDMA/comments/ikfscl/take_ages_to_come_up_and_no_euphoria/ said:
The most recent time I done it I took 150mg overall. I dropped around 100mg at 22:45 by bombing it, then another 50mg around 12:15 . It was tested. I ate about 7pm and left it at least 3h before dosing...

I felt very slight effects at 1am but then I started to feel it more at 3am; eye wiggles, jaw chattering. All my other friends said it hit them well within 30/45m of dropping. However I was up until 6am and they all fell asleep at 3am.

Hard to say about the other posts, obviously the one taking a pill is very uncertain in terms of the actual dosage involved. I suspect a SSRI might be involved in the other one, as it seems like increasing the dosage had a noticeable effect. I asked for some more info.

I also found a person who was taking extreme doses back in the 90s
https://www.reddit.com/r/MDMA/comments/hpgmnl/i_cannot_get_into_this_crystal_form_of_mdma_ive/fxrwx2f/ said:
I dont doubt what you said. I also always tested mine back then and would take two half gram gels around 9 and would re-dose sometimes at the after hour and I wouldn't be coming down till around 8-9 when I got home. This happened with me personally and most of my friends.

Very simple. The higher purity product stays at home while the lesser purity product shipped to places like the U.K.

Obviously your gonna want to keep your home country stocked with prime product. Whereas fuck it if some U.K. youth has impure drugs or not. Why send super pure when they’ll buy less pure all the same.
Ah, I'm sure every lab is very inquisitive about what their wholesalers are doing with each batch to make sure that it goes to the right location.

@Negi - The larger point is that there are plenty of reports on reddit of subpar MDMA experiences, and to imply that there are not any is misleading. I did not perform a thorough investigation of every comment on every post, but it required minimal effort to dig those up using only a few key word searches. You have repeatedly claimed that reddit only contains people who have excellent MDMA experiences, but that is simply not the case. I see people on reddit complaining of the quality of today's MDMA even in comment sections of unrelated threads.

I don't understand the need to debate minutia and clog up a thread that is already 288 pages long.

Can't we just agree on some basic things and move the conversation forward?

1. There is typical, magical, as expected, MDMA in circulation all around the world.
2. This standard MDMA has an expected effects profile that has been referenced in many published research articles, with peak effects typically noted from doses of 120-125 mg.
3. Some people, for reasons not yet fully understood, are encountering MDMA that appears to be MDMA through GCMS analysis, yet they do not experience the standard effects profile from doses of 120-125 mg.
4. This subpar or "meh" effects profile is often noted by multiple people who consume the same "batch" of MDMA.

Question: Why do some batches of MDMA provoke muted and subpar effects in multiple users?

Batch focused hypotheses:

1. Changes in synthesis methods have resulted in different impurities than those previously found in MDMA. Those impurities negatively interfere in the effects profile of MDMA.
2. Changes in synthesis methods have resulted in different impurities than those previously found in MDMA. Previously active impurities that positively impacted the effects profile of MDMA are no longer found in the product.
3. Changes in synthesis methods have resulted in a different but structurally similar compound masquerading as MDMA to GCMS and/or being present in unison with MDMA without GCMS detection.

User focused hypothesis:
1. Differences in user physiology mean that some users are unable to feel the full effects of MDMA during some MDMA experiences.

Hybrid hypothesis:
1. Differences in user physiology mean that some users are unable to feel the full effects of MDMA during some MDMA experiences due to the presence of impurities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.