• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all the amateur analytical toxicologists out there, how about considering running some TLC plates before staining with your Marquis/Mecke/etc?

SWGDRUG has a handy monogram detailing a bunch of testing methods for MDMA. http://www.swgdrug.org/Monographs/3,4-METHYLENEDIOXYMETHAMPHETAMINE.pdf

If anything it would give the ability to seperate out the MDMA from the impurities and provide a more accurate ID (as the individual 'spots' will be seperate compounds rather than a mixture).

Also, in the interest of reproducibility, I would be weighing out equal-mass samples and using a fixed volumetric pipette to deliver the color-change reagent... I suspect that dilution will effect the intensity of the colot reaction too.

We can give that TLC a try again, as user666 said we did try earlier. The equal mass idea is a good one, next time will be done with crushed weighed samples. That said, that really only effects the speed and overall amount of color in the reagent reaction but nevertheless...

-GC

And sekio I suggest maybe actually reading this thread now that your in here trying to give advice.

-GC

Let's not be too condescending. I, for one, appreciate Sekio's helpfulness despite disbelief and find his manner of engagement to be a model for how I'd hope those that feel Meh is not real to engage.

EDIT: sounds like a real word salad there, but maybe I'm just buzzed.

We can give that TLC a try again,
Perhaps a chemistry expert like @Vector can help us prevent that pesky smearing which ThreePointCircle has described.
Also, most of these compounds are visible on the TLC plate only in UV-c, so an ultraviolet lamp and optical filters are required to get a good contrast.

Perhaps a chemistry expert like @Vector can help us prevent that pesky smearing which ThreePointCircle has described.
Also, most of these compounds are visible on the TLC plate only in UV-c, so an ultraviolet lamp and optical filters are required to get a good contrast.
Possibly too much sample, or other sample prep issue for the smearing? I used UV 254 (made a nice box so only my camera was exposed).

In general it was difficult to shift the mdma spot. I confirmed it contained mdma, or at least mdma like, with reagent tests.

Possibly too much sample, or other sample prep issue for the smearing? I used UV 254 (made a nice box so only my camera was exposed).
Take a look at this UV-c emitter.
it is relatively expensive but it does NOT require a UV filter !

Take a look at this UV-c emitter.
it is relatively expensive but it does NOT require a UV filter !
Cheers but I got my uv working ok. Plus that's an led part, needs driving and surface mount soldering, etc...

Cheers but I got my uv working ok. Plus that's an led part, needs driving and surface mount soldering, etc...
Is your UV source the correct wavelength and does it have the visible wavelengths all filtered out?
I had others in mind when writing this, too. Driving this UV-c LED is trivial. I have the skills to design and draw a schematic if needed.

Anyway, the UV reflected from the TLC plate needs to be filtered out too, in order to protect your eyes or avoid the saturation of the CCD/CMOS sensor in a camera, which blurs the image.
Fortunately this is easy to do with common plastics. See their transmittance curves below:

Thicker plastic sheets are better at cutting out the UV, of course

Last edited:
Let's not be too condescending. I, for one, appreciate Sekio's helpfulness despite disbelief and find his manner of engagement to be a model for how I'd hope those that feel Meh is not real to engage.

EDIT: sounds like a real word salad there, but maybe I'm just buzzed.

Sekio has been condescending on plenty of occasions, and it’s an actual suggestion since he seems to have joined the discussion so we aren’t constantly repeating ourselves. But I’ll be good and refrain from here out :)

Btw last night was amazing, and today surprisingly productive. Happy to be alive.

-GC

Big importers usually use Marquis, Mecke, Mandelin and Folin reagants together. Mecke is a interesting one as it can detect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethoxymethamphetamine. Never seen any acutal reports on somebody knowingly using this. But if your mdma is trash your usually getting it from trashy people so it could acutally be that.

Next contendor is what "meh" is acutally MBDB https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBDB And has been found has a containment many times by police forensic analysis. Its trip report effects line up with your meh experinces aswell.

There's no way in hell anyone is having meh experiences from mbdb.ive had plenty of it and everyone else I know
who had it loved it.even half a 140mg pill was enough for non regular users to have a good night on.and it affects your vision and eyes much more than regular mdma.being intoxicated on it is much more teeth chattery,dilated pupils,eyes rolling back in your head like than normal mdma.no way meh is mbdb.and mbdb is far superior to mdma.after having mbdb mdma is meh by comparison.mdma is like shitty powdered amphetamine and mbdb is like the super pure clean ice.
That's how different they are.

Last edited:
Is your UV source the correct wavelength and does it have the visible wavelengths all filtered out?
I had others in mind when writing this, too. Driving this UV-c LED is trivial. I have the skills to design and draw a schematic if needed.
Yes correct wavelength, and no to the visible filtering although the amount of visible light is low. The uv fluorescence is clear so I haven't really felt the need to filter. But I take the point that it would improve the situation. I can do the circuitry as well but since I have a uv source its a low priority. I really don't think the uv visualisation is the problem. The spot(s) aren't shifting in the system, and/or aren't visible with the uv method.

Anyway, the UV reflected from the TLC plate needs to be filtered out too, in order to protect your eyes or avoid the saturation of the CCD/CMOS sensor in a camera, which blurs the image.
Fortunately this is easy to do with common plastics. See their transmittance curves below:

Thanks, I'll try with some plastic in front of the camera to see if it makes much of a difference, but didn't notice any saturation problems. The way I have it set up, only the camera is exposed to UV so my eyes are safe.

I am not going to go into it in detail here, because there is another thread devoted to it. But I am currently using BPC-157 to regenerate/repair as recommended by @Swim15. This is in the interest of seeing if tolerance/damage/loss of magic etc. is an issue with me. Afterwards, I will be using the same product from NYE, and will start with the same dosage to see if there is any difference post BPC-157.

I can do the circuitry as well but since I have a uv source its a low priority.
Yes, I agree it is a low priority because you already have a UV source but for people that start from scratch it might be a good option.

The spot(s) aren't shifting in the system, and/or aren't visible with the uv method.
Yes, that is your major problem. It think someone who has a lot of experience with TLC should help you with the solvent system, dosing, temperature, timing, etc...

There's no way in hell anyone is having meh experiences from mbdb.ive had plenty of it and everyone else I know
who had it loved it.even half a 140mg pill was enough for non regular users to have a good night on.and it affects your vision and eyes much more than regular mdma.being intoxicated on it is much more teeth chattery,dilated pupils,eyes rolling back in your head like than normal mdma.no way meh is mbdb.and mbdb is far superior to mdma.after having mbdb mdma is meh by comparison.mdma is like shitty powdered amphetamine and mbdb is like the super pure clean ice.
That's how different they are.

Your the first person I’ve heard to say this. While I agree MBDB isn’t “meh” it also has never been described as better than MDMA either.

-GC

Whenever I used TLC I found UV-B was best, no need for UV-C, you view the compound spots by the fact they quench the fluorescence (dark spots on glowing background) But why are people bothering with UV light for TLC plates? You do know, before people had these fancy fluorescent-treated TLC silicas, they used these things called stains?

Phosphomolybdate, ninhydrin, vanillin/sulfuric, iodine vapor, Maruis, Mecke, Mandelin, etc etc. Just give the plate a fine misting and gently heat it to develop. You get different color spots for different stains, some are selective for certain compounds over others (ninhydrin for amines, the 3 M stains etc), others are quite all-purpose (iodine, phosphomolybdate).

If you find your spots are not moving well or are smeared together, you are likely overloading the TLC silica, reduce your concentration of sample. And make sure you have good technique for 'spotting' the silica with dilute sample - too large a blob will result in smearing too.

SWGDRUG reference on TLC systems: http://www.swgdrug.org/Documents/TLC Systems.pdf - I note that they use alkaline-methanol washed plates and use simple methanol as solvent. Acidified permanganate as a spray/developer. Of course, other methods work too. Some 'method development' may be needed to get a seperation you are happy with.

Whenever I used TLC I found UV-B was best, no need for UV-C, ...
What if the TLC plate is rated at 254nm by its manufacturer ?

But why are people bothering with UV light for TLC plates? You do know, before people had these fancy fluorescent-treated TLC silicas, they used these things called stains?
I think that is because such stains will interfere with the colorimetric reagents (Froehde , Marquis, Mandelin, etc...) that will be applied to these spots later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.