• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a dimer?

I am donating two meh samples to science. One is the product I had access to from 2005 onward. Previously sent into ecstasydata with an impurity noted. Last time I consumed this was October, 2017. The other is from NYE 2018. Stronger but still no pupil dilation or "loved up" feelings. Bad comedown on both of these samples. They are both meh, but with slightly different effects profiles.

share the new 13C please.
can another 1H in D2O be run I think the wierd data is consistent with dimer at the moment not formyl

I think this is the right one.. lemme know if you need any rescanned. 13c longer rescanned

Attachments

• 20191117183316867 (1).pdf
    233.2 KB · Views: 7
I personally think that this material is incompetent synthesis done by clueless idiots. mix clueless idiots with clandestine chemistry and god only knows what you create. Combine shoddy synthesis with no proper purifcation and the result is predictably junk, but junk that people buy and consume anyway because thanks to the war on drugs there is no legitimate alternative.

He also said he can't run it in D2O/H2O as he cann't find the tiny bit of sample he had. We will try and run it later.

What is a dimer?

I am donating two meh samples to science. One is the product I had access to from 2005 onward. Previously sent into ecstasydata with an impurity noted. Last time I consumed this was October, 2017. The other is from NYE 2018. Stronger but still no pupil dilation or "loved up" feelings. Bad comedown on both of these samples. They are both meh, but with slightly different effects profiles.
  1. a molecule or molecular complex consisting of two identical molecules linked together.

Attachments

• dimmer.jpg
    dimmer.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 5
Interesting....So the MDP2P has something to do with the high? It interacts with MDMA in such way that it makes the HIGH shitty? mhmmm

It might, we can't say for sure yet I don't think, need a lot more specifics

we also don't know how much MDP2P was even in the sample I had (or anyone has had), at MOST it would have been 15% since the test said it was 85% MDMA, so at the very most I'd have consumed 15mg of MDP2P with my MDMA. And they didn't even report anything for the remaining 9% of the other sample, so who knows. What I was saying is that the presence of MDP2P might be an indicator of the problem, not necessarily the action of it if that makes sense.

It might, we can't say for sure yet I don't think, need a lot more specifics

we also don't know how much MDP2P was even in the sample I had (or anyone has had), at MOST it would have been 15% since the test said it was 85% MDMA, so at the very most I'd have consumed 15mg of MDP2P with my MDMA. And they didn't even report anything for the remaining 9% of the other sample, so who knows. What I was saying is that the presence of MDP2P might be an indicator of the problem, not necessarily the action of it if that makes sense.

I usually seen 3:1 or 4:1 or something like 25-30% mdma, also indigoaura had a 5:1 batch There is also a batch of 4:1 MDP2Pol to MDMA 4:1. not the other way around!! Drug data is a good place to get an general idea.

mdp2p.png

Attachments

• 5to1.png
    5to1.png
    182.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I usually seen 3:1 or 4:1 or something like 25-30% mdma, also indigoaura had a 5:1 batch There is also a batch of 4:1 MDP2P to MDMA 4:1. not the other way around!! Drug data is a good place to get an general idea.

you have that totally the wrong way round, the data posted shows 3, 4 or 9 parts MDMA for one part MDP2P.

There should not be any MDP2P, the fact the data shows that there is, points to a clumsy synthesis without a sufficient excess of methylamine.
MDP2Pol should also not be there. it is from straight reduction of MDP2P.

I doubt MDP2P or MDP2Pol have any relevent interesting or significant pharmacology. MDP2P is a known metabolite of MDMA.

I’m not a chemist so I don’t really know what a lot of this means but the abstract mentions that 2 of the synthesis byproducts inhibit release induced by MDMA.

12, and 13 were examined for induction of carrier-mediated release by superfusion of transporter expressing cells preloaded with the metabolically inert transporter substrate [3H]1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium. MDMA induced release mediated by NET, SERT, or DAT with EC50 values of 0.64, 1.12, and 3.24 μM, respectively. 12 weakly released from NET- and SERT-expressing cells with maximum effects less than one-tenth of that of MDMA and did not release from DAT cells. 13 had no releasing activity. 12 and 13 inhibited release induced by MDMA, and the concentration dependence of this effect correlated with their uptake inhibitory potency at the various transporters.

Attachments

• EB723FB3-8CFE-47A4-B75A-0836DEF0FCBB.jpeg
    EB723FB3-8CFE-47A4-B75A-0836DEF0FCBB.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here's the MDMA formyl I believe @vecktor was talking about. What is interesting is glancing at the article @ThreePointCircle just posted I peeped this on the Leuckart reaction section

As discussed in the next section, both Swist et al. [36] and Cheng et al. [75] have some evidence that N-formyl-MDMA (structure F8 is associated with the synthesis of MDMA via reductive aminations as well as via the Leuckart reaction. Compounds F4–F7 have also been identified as route-specific markers in MDMA production via this route.

Hopefully when @vecktor finishs his analysis of the extended 13C I posted yesterday it will help clear more answer.

Thank you everyone who has put forth this team effort!! Again everyone should know my chemistry sucks and I really don't know much...

Attachments

• n-formyl.png
    n-formyl.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
you have that totally the wrong way round, the data posted shows 3, 4 or 9 parts MDMA for one part MDP2P.

There should not be any MDP2P, the fact the data shows that there is, points to a clumsy synthesis without a sufficient excess of methylamine.
MDP2Pol should also not be there. it is from straight reduction of MDP2P.

I doubt MDP2P or MDP2Pol have any relevent interesting or significant pharmacology. MDP2P is a known metabolite of MDMA.

I was going to come to say this... So far we have both Indigo and Hilo who have had product which had excess intermediate precursor leftover.

As you said Vektor, this points again to the dimer theory. Not having enough methylamine to properly convert the intermediates.

Now how to properly separate said dimer from the MDMA..

-GC

I was going to come to say this... So far we have both Indigo and Hilo who have had product which had excess intermediate precursor leftover.

As you said Vektor, this points again to the dimer theory. Not having enough methylamine to properly convert the intermediates.

Now how to properly separate said dimer from the MDMA..

-GC

yeah but 1 sample is 4 parts MDP2Pol to 1 part MDMA that is like ...really?

Haha yea that was some jack off who hopefully is long out of the game by now... If you look there is actually one press on EData with nothing but intermediate!! I forget which one, maybe the nitrostyrene... But still.. How does this happen?

My guess is labs that just whip up batch after batch with little testing to make sure completion of reactions.

-GC

So if I'm understanding correctly, not enough methylamine in the reaction results in an excess of MDP2P (or other precursor?) as it did not have methylamine to react (?) with. Without enough methylamine, MDP2P is left unreacted and MDMA-dimer is created instead of MDMA?

I'm confused why anything is created at all once the methylamine is used up and the MDP2P is simply left untouched, both ingredients are out of the equation. Is MDMA-dimer the result of everything else minus those two?

Just trying to convert all this is to sensical laymans terms

Still, out of ED's 8000 entries MDP2P/Pol is not terribly common at all. Would MDP2P/other precursor excess always be present if Dimer was created? Or could that be removed after the fact (make a batch without enough methylamine, wash out the MDP2P, and voila you have what passes as straight MDMA but has MDMA-dimer hiding?)

So if I'm understanding correctly, not enough methylamine in the reaction results in an excess of MDP2P (or other precursor?) as it did not have methylamine to react (?) with. Without enough methylamine, MDP2P is left unreacted and MDMA-dimer is created instead of MDMA?

I'm confused why anything is created at all once the methylamine is used up and the MDP2P is simply left untouched, both ingredients are out of the equation. Is MDMA-dimer the result of everything else minus those two?

Still, out of ED's 8000 entries MDP2P/Pol is not terribly common at all. Would MDP2P/other precursor excess always be present if Dimer was created? Or could that be removed after the fact (make a batch without enough methylamine, wash out the MDP2P, and voila you have what passes as straight MDMA but has MDMA-dimer hiding?)

This specific batch I believe is MDMA dimmer.. there was no carbonyl or ketone aldehyde or similar detected

However we have seen batches with MDP2P/pol Possibly causing the same or similar effects. But as far as I know I don't know shit so...

Thats what I'm saying, MDP2P/Pol/whatever might not have any notable pharmocological effects whatsoever, but indicate the presence of something else that does or is masquerading as MDMA, it tells us the synth was sloppy, its the "smoking gun" (maybe)

My concern is that we dont have any concrete reasoning to believe MDP2P/similar has any effects, let alone at what amount. We know some precursor, possibly similar to whats been found in MDMA samples, has some not very well understood effects on the action of MDMA at some dose. Its certainly promising but we need to know way more

I find it seems more believable that the leftover MDP2P in a sample is a telltale sign the MDMA portion being madeup of something else due to sloppy synth, since we have a knowledgable chemist here telling us that first hand.

Thats what I'm saying, MDP2P/Pol/whatever might not have any notable pharmocological effects whatsoever, but indicate the presence of something else that does or is masquerading as MDMA, it tells us the synth was sloppy, its the "smoking gun" (maybe)

My concern is that we dont have any concrete reasoning to believe MDP2P/similar has any effects, let alone at what amount. We know some precursor, possibly similar to whats been found in MDMA samples, has some not very well understood effects on the action of MDMA at some dose. Its certainly promising but we need to know way more

I find it seems more believable that the leftover MDP2P in a sample is a telltale sign the MDMA portion being madeup of something else due to sloppy synth, since we have a knowledgable chemist here telling us that first hand.

Could very well be the smoking gun as MDP2P presence in samples begins appearing around 2009 on Edata. About the same time MehDMA started rearing it's ugly head.

the reaction reductive amination is in essence 2 steps, the reversible reaction of a carbonyl compound (MDP2P in this case) with an amine, Methylamine in this case to give an imine which is then reduced to an amine by the reducing agent Al(Hg) NaBH4 Pt H2 or whatever. If there is not enough methylamine then some of the MDP2P will be unreacted and not converted to imine, if the reduction step is not performed correctly then some of the imine will remain, which will hydrolyze to amine and starting MDP2P when the reaction is worked up. if there is not enough methylamine there will also be reduction of the MDP2P to MDP2Pol.

The problem is that the product MDMA is an amine too, just like methylamine, and this can react with the starting carbonyl to make an imine like compound which is then reduced to the dimer. The strategy of using excess methylamine is to make it much more likely that the carbonyl collides and reacts with methylamine to make MDMA, rather than the product amine MDMA (making the dimer). This problem is more likely if the reaction is run too concentrated and a couple of other things are important but I am not going to go into those details.

So whilst MDP2P should not be in the product, and to be seen by GCMS software it needs to be greater than 1% of the largest peak area. it is conceivable that a product could contain MDP2P but not significant dimer because there was enough methylamine but the imine was not reduced, the second part of the reductive amination was rushed or screwed up and so the unreduced imine hydrolyzed back to MDP2P and methylamine. It is however a clear sign of a screwed up synthesis.
Likewise no MDP2P does not mean the reaction was run right, because the MDP2P is nonpolar if the MDMA hydrochloride was washed with a solvent then the MDP2P would be washed out. the dimer because it is also an amine hydrochloride would not be washed out. Vacuum distillation of the freebase or proper recrystalization of the hydrochloride salt would remove the dimer if it was present almost completely.

There are a whole load of other factors that a real process chemist would nail down, pH, temperature, reagent proportions, concentration, stirring, work up, starting material purity. All of these things would be varied in tests and the side reactions identified and those that were found to be critical would be tightly controlled but clandestine synthesis is cheap and nasty and there is no control of the reaction and no control of the product purity.

Methylamine certainly appears difficult for clandestines to source in large quantities, it also really stinks and excess stinky methylamine will be in the product and the various liquids, and so there is going to be a huge temptation for clandestines to reduce to the minimum the methylamine (or methylamine surrogate like nitromethane) they use. There must also be a temptation to rush the synthesis, because they don't want to get caught. so half run reactions and unconverted starting material is quite likely, then add total lack of purification of the product and see the crap that is getting into the final material.

The dimer does go through GCMS but it comes out very very late. I don't thing EC or the others are looking for it and if it is under 1% their software would ignore it anyway.

I will comment on the 13C spectra later.

good work people!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.