• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright this is far from a write up but here’s a quick one while I have a moment.

You’ll need:

-distilled water
-lye, NaOH, sodium hydroxide
-ph papers
-glass containers
-separatory funnel or glass turkey baster plus glass dropper (nice to have all)
-toluene, xylene or naphtha
-muriatic acid or acetic acid (depending on the salt your seeking)

Dissolve 1g of MDMA in 50ml of water. Add 50ml of whichever non polar solvent you chose (we’ll assume toluene). Shake vigorously for 5 minutes and then let separate. If not using a sep funnel, use a glass jar which is tall and skinny for easier separation. Remove and discard toluene.

Add another 50ml toluene. Slowly add lye to the water/mdma/toluene solution in increments of .5-1g until ph 12. Go slow and give the base time to do its job.

Upon addition of the base you’ll notice the water get cloudy and the mdma freebase rises up out. Having the toluene already in there gives it a place to go and in my opinion keeps it safe from sitting too long with the base

Once ph12 let sit with occasionally shaking for an hour. Upon the end of the hour shake one more time for 5 mins, then let sit. Separate and save toluene/freebase mdma, extract again once more with 50ml fresh toluene. Combine toluene extracts.

You now have 100ml toluene with MDMA freebase.

Mix up a solution of 5g lye to 100ml water. Let sit until all dissolved then pour in with toluene/freebase. Mix for 3min then let separate. Discard water layer. Pour in 100ml fresh dh20 into toluene/FB, shake for 5min, separate and discard water. Repeat once more with another fresh water wash.

These are water washes to clean up any water soluble impurities, the freebase will stay in the toluene solution.

Next we need to make it a salt again. A few ways to do this but may need to make the HCl salt for best comparisons.

You could dry as is, and the freebase MDMA will eventually react with the air to form MDMA carbonate. This is untested territory.

Easiest route is to extract with distilled vinegar. Pour in 50ml and shake for 10min. Separate and repeat 2-3 times total. Combine vinegar extracts and dry in a plate. Once dry re-dissolve in fresh dh20 then dry again to allow rest of acetic acid to escape crystal matrix.

To create HCl, you could look up how to make a dry acetone/HCl solution. Then add this dropwise until no more precipitate forms. You could dilute to 5% HCl then extract like you would with vinegar, dry, redissolve then dry again. You could create a mini dry HCl gas generator as well.

Going with HCl will take a bit of extra reading. I’d probably suggest either the dry acetone/HCl route or simply adding dilute HCl.

Once finished drying. You could wash the powdered product with a minimal amount of dry freezer cold acetone, very briefly. Then do a recrystallization from isopropyl.

To re-X, add boiling hot isopropyl slowly while stirring until it seems the solution is saturated while not adding too much extra. Slowly let solution cool to room temperature. Then put in fridge for 6 hours then freezer overnight.

With recrystallization it’s all about going slow, the slower the better.

If you then took this product and distilled it. You’d likely be looking at like GMP grade pharmaceutical MDMA status purity lol.

Amounts of various liquids could be altered depending on the amount of MDMA used. I just went with the numbers I did to give enough to work with but if your purifying say an ounce of mdma, you’d likely want to scale back some of the volumes.

For those just seeking purity, and want to do this as easily/safely as possible, use vinegar at the end. I’ve done this extraction (which was pulled from old mdma synthesis write ups) with 5-mapb using vinegar and the crystals were beautiful. It’s just you’ll then have MDMA acetate which may vary slightly in effect.

If one intended on distilling after a/b then I’d use vinegar too, since your reverting it back to freebase again for the distillation. You can make the HCl once your done distilling.

As for vacuum pumps, unfortunately I’m more of a reader than a doer. I’ve yet to buy my own, using aspirators instead, which won’t work for this unless you have a good one and build your own pump station with ice cold water.

I’m not sure I can say prices but last I checked they weren’t bad in comparison to before. You could maybe find one in the double digit price range, or low triple digit.

Any questions please ask, I can make things more basic if need be.

-GC

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks. Out of interest, does the re-X in the above procedure contribute much to purification, or is it more of a cosmetic thing?

Eh at that stage likely more cosmetic than anything. I could be wrong though.. Either way we are talking less than 1% whether I’m wrong or not.

And no problem :)

-GC

Cool, well, I'll get back to you ;)

Looks like I can get everything locally tomorrow morning... except the glass sep funnel or baster or dropper. Annoying

Awesome, thanks. Out of interest, does the re-X in the above procedure contribute much to purification, or is it more of a cosmetic thing?
I think it will increase purity, even if just a little....
But only if you filter the crystals out of the saturated cold solution discarding the IPA that still has some MDMA in it, together with whatever impurities have been carried over to this stage (likely to be a minimal amount at this point? Does someone know for sure?).
Slow recrystallization should give bigger clearer crystals, but there is the practical problem of handling them in a way that does not break them up.

Actually getting the distilled water is slowing me down. All I can find is deionised. I'm assuming that's not a valid substitute?

@G_Chem also, when measuring the pH, should that be of the xylene layer or the water layer? Possibly stupid question but I'm at that bit now and a bit confused.

Actually getting the distilled water is slowing me down. All I can find is deionised. I'm assuming that's not a valid substitute?
I'm pretty sure that deionised water is the same as distilled water. I.E. a distillation process is used to remove dissolvesd mineral ions leaving pure H2O.

I'm pretty sure that deionised water is the same as distilled water. I.E. a distillation process is used to remove dissolvesd mineral ions leaving pure H2O.
Unfortunately its not the same. Deionised has gone through a chemical process to remove the ions, rather than a heat process. Searching online there seemed to be a bit of maybe you can, maybe you can't, thoughts on using it, so I've just gone ahead and used it :oops:

So is deionised not quite as pure as distilled then? Are there impurities left over from the deionisation process?

Hey threepoint, when checking ph you need to get some of the water layer but no worries if some toluene gets on there too.

Distilled water or reverse osmosis water can usually be found down at the grocery store.

Yea glass turkey basters and droppers can be a bitch to find. For glass droppers look for vials with dropppers at health/natural supplement type stores. Turkey baster or sep funnel may need to be ordered.

-GC

Thanks. I basically (excuse the pun) very quickly got a pH around 12 in the water layer, but the top layer (actually I'm using xylene) is more like pH 8 or something. I see a bit of stuff going up into it but wasn't sure I was doing the right thing.

Oh and in the uk it appears no one is selling distilled locally. Pharmacists were supposed to but after phoning about 20 of them I had to give up. Grocery stores have deionised.

@F.U.B.A.R. It doesn't get rid of, for example, bacteria and other organics. Having said that, distillation can carry over volatile stuff so neither's perfect it would seem

deionized water is the same as distilled water in this application. unionized water is great but it only works 35hr weeks and often strikes and refuses to work.
pH is a measure of Hydrogen vs hydroxide ion concentration in water so Xylene will not have a pH in the traditional sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.