• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News What is the new £1 hangover prevention pill and how does it work?

new2drugs

Bluelighter

What is the new £1 hangover prevention pill and how does it work?​

Hannah Millington
Yahoo
4 Jul 2022

Excerpt:
A new pill that could help some drinkers to "wake up feeling their best the next day", i.e. beat a hangover, has gone on sale for the first time in the UK today.

Myrkl is the first supplement in history to break down up to 70% of alcohol consumed within an hour, the company claims.

Branded as a 'pre-drinking pill' that has been "independently tested and clinically proven to work", it needs to be taken in a double dose at least one hour before drinking for maximum effect.

The £1-a-pop capsule can remain effective for up to 12 hours after, meaning there is no need to take more than two capsules per day.

As it is "in no way designed as an excuse to drink beyond NHS guidelines" and is instead aimed at regular moderate drinkers, Myrkl has also teamed up with Embarrassing Bodies’ Dr Dawn Harper to discuss the UK’s serious public health concern of excess alcohol consumption.

Full article here.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Myrkl is the first supplement in history to break down up to 70% of alcohol consumed within an hour, the company claims."

what does it do if you take it an hour before driving ?

will it change your blood alcohol reading ?

it looks like it :)

"Experts say that without the pills, the booze is broken down by the liver and creates acetaldehyde."

wow it stops acetaldehyde production in the liver this shit is the bomb.

why is no one taking notice of this post ?

acetaldehyde is toxic as and one of main reasons alcohol is so bad.

cant wait till they do a study on brain damage of heavy drinkers on the stuff.

"Experts say that without the pills, the booze is broken down by the liver and creates acetaldehyde."

wow it stops acetaldehyde production in the liver this shit is the bomb.

why is no one taking notice of this post ?

acetaldehyde is toxic as and one of main reasons alcohol is so bad.

cant wait till they do a study on brain damage of heavy drinkers on the stuff.
because its a load of bollocks lol. This is some fake marketing scam shit. Nothing they said about how it works even makes sense in science. Load of fucking bullshit lol

it makes sense its a bacteria culture that eats alcohol in the stomach before it goes to the liver.

it sounds pretty sound to me ill have to try it to see.

your right though one person saying its no good is not proof.

if this works as they say it is magic and will solve a lot of problems for people who drink and then drive the next morning.

drink drive charges are no fun and its so hard to really know your BAC as our metabolisms change through the day.

so ye ill try it when I can and see for my self.

it makes sense its a bacteria culture that eats alcohol in the stomach before it goes to the liver.

it sounds pretty sound to me ill have to try it to see.

your right though one person saying its no good is not proof.

if this works as they say it is magic and will solve a lot of problems for people who drink and then drive the next morning.

drink drive charges are no fun and its so hard to really know your BAC as our metabolisms change through the day.

so ye ill try it when I can and see for my self.
I'm not really interested in drink driving stuff as that's not what ppl should be doing.

More interested in preventing a hangover or extra liver damage if that's what this thing does.
Imagine being on a stag do or taking it before going out at new year etc...

if I drink tonight and go to bed.

tomorrow I can still blow over 0.05 and loose my license so yes it is something I should do.

though the liver damage is also a big thing but as im not an alcoholic its not a problem for me.

This seems somewhat dubious to me. I believe the majority of alcohol gets absorbed in the small intestine, not the stomach.

But either way all this theoretically does is lower the amount of alcohol absorbed by the body, so yeah it will lower the chance of a hangover but also prevents you from getting drunk.

You could have the same effect of this pill by just drinking less alcohol.

It might help alcoholics, but at the same time this pill would just cause me to drink 2-3x more than what I usually would, so IDK how good this product actually is.

It also doesn't mention what these bacteria break the alcohol down into... ? How do they metabolize it, and what is the safety profile of the metabolites?

It does seem like this product acts as a probiotic and protects against the damages alcohol does to the gut microbes.

Last edited:
Still, gonna try it and see if it does anything.

Science is obviously better than its ever been just now so you never know what they can invent.

Drink driving shouldn't be an issue really. Our bodies don't vary that much week to week that 3 drinks one night is over the limit but it takes 10 the next time.. Like.. Yeah. You just need to learn about how alcohol breath limits work, your body weight and your own experience on top.

I know for a fact I can have 3 drinks(beers, 5% alc, 330ml) over two hours with small snacking and be under the limit if I'm tested driving home.

Now obviously if I've had a huge day, had an empty stomach, maybe I drank the day before.. You assume the worst. You add another hour.

Truth is drink driving is mostly just alcoholics who can't limit consumption. Those are the only people I know that have been done for drink driving.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to cast judgment on alcoholism. I'm pointing out that a product like this isn't really going to do much for drink driving because responsible drinkers already don't do it and the ones doing the drink driving have lost self control with alcohol so a product like this isnt even going to be in the picture or will just be used to facilitate more abuse.

Definitely seems dubious

But tbh I always just drink a bunch of water before going to sleep and that prevents about 90% of the hangover

Drink driving shouldn't be an issue really. Our bodies don't vary that much week to week that 3 drinks one night is over the limit but it takes 10 the next time.. Like.. Yeah. You just need to learn about how alcohol breath limits work, your body weight and your own experience on top.

I know for a fact I can have 3 drinks(beers, 5% alc, 330ml) over two hours with small snacking and be under the limit if I'm tested driving home.

Now obviously if I've had a huge day, had an empty stomach, maybe I drank the day before.. You assume the worst. You add another hour.

Truth is drink driving is mostly just alcoholics who can't limit consumption. Those are the only people I know that have been done for drink driving.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to cast judgment on alcoholism. I'm pointing out that a product like this isn't really going to do much for drink driving because responsible drinkers already don't do it and the ones doing the drink driving have lost self control with alcohol so a product like this isnt even going to be in the picture or will just be used to facilitate more abuse.
not true 3 drinks 3 hours before and I had not eaten that day.

we have 0.05 BAC here and I thought I was cool as I had got used to my levels with a friends interlock.

well I blew over even though normally I would not.

then going through the drink drive course I was told this happens to a lot of people and often peoples metabolism changes based on time of day and whether they have eaten or not,

I should not have been over but I was.

I am not a big drinker and have not drank since.