• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids What is the best sedative drug for uninterrupted sleep?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
Antipsychotics and GABAergics (benzos, barbituates, z-drugs, alcohol, GHB) are all used for sleep but they have different strengths. If you were to take a drug to sleep for 10 or more hours without waking up which one would you use?

My doc has given me Seroquel x30 100mg tablets), Xanax (x30 1mg tablets), and Ambien (x30 10mg tablets). I also have some Xyrem that my uncle gave me for his narcolepsy. I find that the Seroquel does the job but makes me feel like utter shit in the morning and that's why I don't take it. I'm thinking of sticking to the benzos/z-drugs. Is it okay to combine 1mg of Xanax and 20mg of Ambien without risking respiratory depression?

200mg of seroquel and if some odd reason you wake up, 2mg Xanax should do the trick to put u to sleep for the remaining part u leftover

I'm thinking of sticking to the benzos/z-drugs. Is it okay to combine 1mg of Xanax and 20mg of Ambien without risking respiratory depression?
That's kinda like asking if a grown up risks getting drowned in a 3ft high pool.....
Yes it is OK, to actually die ud have to take far too many pills unless ure mixing benzs and opiates. That's when u shud worry. 🙃

Seroquel usually works best to get you to sleep and keep you there.

You might feel tired and rough like you said the next day, but with some time taking it your body will get used to it.

That's kinda like asking if a grown up risks getting drowned in a 3ft high pool.....
Yes it is OK, to actually die ud have to take far too many pills unless ure mixing benzs and opiates. That's when u shud worry. 🙃
Well technically an adult can drown from a cup of water.

i cant sleep on anything ive been given, ambien, remeron, gabapentin, trazadone, all low dose, having an appt tues, to get refills of xanax, even that doesnt help sleep , im not going to ask for higher dosage but the advice given seems like you will breath just fine, seems like alot to me that youre taking, but i dont know much, hope you get good sleep

Just curious, why is combining other CNS depressants with opioids or alcohol so dangerous?

Just curious, why is combining other CNS depressants with opioids or alcohol so dangerous?
They work synergistically and potentiate each other, raising the risk of respiratory depression.

Yeah, opioids have the highest risk of respiratory depression and it is how they kill. Mixing them with any other depressant with respiratory depression makes the respiratory depression stronger. additionally, if you're experiencing respiratory depression but you're awake, you can force yourself to breathe, but when you're asleep, you will just not breathe automatically and can't consciously do it, so you die. Adding a benzo ir other GABAergic makes it much more likely that you will accidentally fall asleep if you're riding the edge of a dose that will cause enough respiratory depression to cause you to die if you fall asleep/pass out.

I typically take Ambien 10 mg with .5 mg Xanax and it has been a perfect dose for me. To make sure I don’t build a tolerance I will go off of that combo and take 5-8 g of a Red vein kratom for a week or two at night. The use of kratom also helps with my chronic pain(along with vicodin5/325) but also prevents me from asking my doctor for more Vicodin, Xanax and ambien. That way I don’t raise any red flags for my doctor. Docs nowadays frown upon it when you ask for a higher dose or when you run out before 30 days. They will shut you down and give you the whole speech on how addiction happens and that they’ve seen it ruin lives and families. Blah blah blah....But here’s the thing, if you don’t get good sleep you’re fucked the next day. You’re running on empty. Then you are less productive and it becomes a vicious cycle of trying to catch up( you can never catch up on sleep) and then more health problems arise because you lack good timely sleep.

Seroquel’s great just be prepared for a 1-2 hr pill hangover in the morning , add in trazadone and you’ll maybe get a night of vivid dreams ( sometimes nightmares) but still very vivid,for me at least,currently I just take 30 mg melatonin,100 mg hydroxyzine and it puts me of for the night …..

I'd recommend the Xyrem on it's own. It doesn't give uninterrupted sleep but it's also the only one of the lot that won't negatively impact your sleep quality. I think for sleep disorders and such they make you take it twice a night. There's some funky dopamine rebound thing that tends to wake you up after four hours.

however its a reliable sleep inducer, you'll feel well rested when you wake up, and the drug is fully out of your system after four hours so there's no residual sleepiness and no hangovers. Still carries the same addiction/ respiratory depression risks as the others, though.

i realise it's not 10 hours straight sleep. But if you're wanting that much sleep to feel well rested I'd say it's your best bet.

Try Salvia sclarea essential oil, aka Clary Sage. It’s probably hands down the best sleep medicine I’ve ever had. Knocks me out and the next morning I feel amazing. No residual grogginess, and very little dependence forming compared to other sleep meds I’ve tried.

I’ve yet to take a pharmaceutical sleep medication that actually works. They either make me feel like garbage or don’t actually make me sleepy. Ambien is the worst, just fucks me up.

-GC

Antipsychotics and GABAergics (benzos, barbituates, z-drugs, alcohol, GHB) are all used for sleep but they have different strengths. If you were to take a drug to sleep for 10 or more hours without waking up which one would you use?

My doc has given me Seroquel x30 100mg tablets), Xanax (x30 1mg tablets), and Ambien (x30 10mg tablets). I also have some Xyrem that my uncle gave me for his narcolepsy. I find that the Seroquel does the job but makes me feel like utter shit in the morning and that's why I don't take it. I'm thinking of sticking to the benzos/z-drugs. Is it okay to combine 1mg of Xanax and 20mg of Ambien without risking respiratory depression?

Holy crap that's a lot to be given by a doctor. I can barely get Valium 5mg (1-2/day at most).

Of those I only like the Xanax, but it's the shortest acting benzo of the lot. The Seroquel will do it but anti-psychotics are a last resort for me. Ambien = Stilnox, which I swore I'd never take again (and haven't been offered it again by a doctor) after having it in the mid-2000s and feeling very very bizarre.