• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What happens if youre scripted benzos and you go to a methadone clinic?

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
What happens if youre scripted benzos or dependent on benzos and you need to enter a methadone program? Do they let you?

From watching the interviews on soft underbelly (skid row residents) it seems the people receiving methadone are also pissing dirty on all drugs A to Z by their own admission. They have fentanyl in their system because they use it daily and still get their methadone. I've never heard the issue of concurrent benzo use discussed but I wonder about it due to the bad rap the methadone benzo combo has at killing people.

I was scripted benzos while entering a methadone clinic and they were ok with it. And doses of benzos were unusual. But it was an unusual clinic, sort of a pay to play situation, expensive and lenient. It was owned by this lady who was obviously high on methadone herself. This is how I wound up on 380mg.

Yet when I went on publicly supplied methadone in australia as an extended stay visitor (I had run out of the methadone i brought with me), I was also on a fairly large amount of diazepam, i believe 15 pills at that time (having tapered down from a higher dose due to a nasty rc benzo habit). And they were fine with it. But how could they not be. But they dropped me down from 380mg to 180mg of methadone because that was their "maximum dose", so the rest of my time in Australia was pretty uncomfortable (imagine dropping down 200mg of methadone overnight).

A clinic should allow you to maintain on your benzos if you have a legit script. But they might raise your dose at a slower than normal rate.

I was scripted benzos while entering a methadone clinic and they were ok with it. And doses of benzos were unusual. But it was an unusual clinic, sort of a pay to play situation, expensive and lenient. It was owned by this lady who was obviously high on methadone herself. This is how I wound up on 380mg.

Yet when I went on publicly supplied methadone in australia as an extended stay visitor (I had run out of the methadone i brought with me), I was also on a fairly large amount of diazepam, i believe 15 pills at that time (having tapered down from a higher dose due to a nasty rc benzo habit). And they were fine with it. But how could they not be. But they dropped me down from 380mg to 180mg of methadone because that was their "maximum dose", so the rest of my time in Australia was pretty uncomfortable (imagine dropping down 200mg of methadone overnight).

A clinic should allow you to maintain on your benzos if you have a legit script. But they might raise your dose at a slower than normal rate.
That's good to hear. I'm not dependent on benzos but I'm walking a very fine line where it could happen. I do get a minor withdrawl when I stop...nothing crazy though.

Last edited:
I’ve been on Methadone 80mg for about 10-15 years and am a fully stable, opioid tolerant individual. I also take benzodiazepine, such as Diazepam 20mg + Clonazepam 1mg and is fully safe for myself

Regarding your clinic, if you have a legitimate prescription for Benzo’s they would still prescribe you Methadone (if you’re opioid tolerant and can prove your usage (opioid used/dosage/frequency & duration)

My Methadone clinic starts everyone at 30mg regardless …..you go daily for drink and at weeks end they could increase by 5mg and slowly increased until you’re stable/comfortable

You could also speak to your family doctor and get a referral to a pain clinic where they could prescribe you Methadone tablets and a months script with 3 repeats like I get lol…..going to a clinic daily is brutal, even when you make it to a weeks carries, every weekend driving there to get carries, f@ck that noice

At the ethadone clinic i called in Ottawa they didnt allow any benzo use they would taper you off them. I can't speak if it's the same in the rest of Canada. But ya methadone was not for me lol

It depends where you are and what the practitioners policy is. Sometimes it depends what your (perceived) history is and how much too. A ton of Xanax is probably a no but some valium is okay and it depends etc

I went to both a public and private clinic. The public clinic may have been state run. They would prescribe benzos as one was tapering down. The private clinic was owned by two brothers. The one brother was the business guy and the other the clinic doctor. Well the private clinic prescribed me a lot of benzos at different times even while on maintenance. I imagine each clinic is different. They are all use to dealing with some heavy hitters and having a script for benzos from another doctor probably won't even phase them.

Although my last clinic was 1990. Not sure what they do today but I imagine it is the same.

It would definitely be a low dose benzodiazepine…..like Diazepam 5mg X 2 times daily

Methadone 80mg
Pregabalin 300mg
Diazepam 10mg

Indica Cannabis 10mg
Clonidine 0.1mg (half tablet)

An ideal, safe, therapeutic regiment for serious chronic pain / anxiety / trouble sleeping. Basically what I take plus Ketamine, more Valium & Klonopin, 3-5 Jin cocktails

get ready for a dismissal from the clinic.
Not to mention the worst and longest detox you could possibly imagine