• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What DXM cough syrup do you use?

LSD-Magic

Bluelighter
I'm having a hard time finding DXM as the only active ingredient in cough syrups. So what should I use? (I don't perfer capsules, so don't suggest it)

In the name of HR, this is very simple. Look for Robutussin long-acting cough (8 hours) or any of its generic alternatives, it should have DXM HBr as the only active ingredient.

Most people would be perfectly fine if it had both DXM and Guaifenesin. Guaifenesin in my opinion isn't that bad at all. It may make you puke though, but you'd probably puke on DXM only cough syrup too. Plus a lot of people over exaggerate what Guaifenesin will do to your trip, they'll say you'll be projectile puking for hours, but in reality you will only puke once or twice, and it's not that bad.

If you do this use: Robitussin Cough + Chest Congestion DM, it has the least Guaifenesin per mL.

But of course if you can find a DXM only cough syrup just use that. However, a lot of those are being taken off the shelves all across the United States at least, or at least in California.
Or, just get pure DXM powder online, probably the best thing to do.

Cheers.

Guafenisin is pretty tolerable, IME.

They used to make this cough syrup, Codiclear DH, I believe it was. Stuff had nothing but Hydrocodone & guafenisin in a GREAT ratio, and it was clear, and tasted like bubble gum. Needless to say, I was niave at the time, and never threw up off it, not once, even after going through dozens of bottles.
Man I would give my left nut for a few 5-gallon buckets of that stuff!! The taste alone....chemically bubblegum elixir of the Gods, it was.

Keep an eye on the Robutussin. Aside from Dextromethorphan HBR being the only ingredient ( a lot of them have Doxylamine in them, which isn't all that bad, IMO ), I have read on some bottles that they may include an agent to discourage usage. I personally liked generic, store brands myself.

Last edited:
I always go to either CVS or Walgreens and buy their brand of syrup, the one that has DXM only usually says it has 1.8% alcohol in it on the front if i'm not mistaken. Just pick up a couple boxes and look on the back and make sure the only active ingredient is Dextromethorphan HBr

Your other option is Robitussin or pharmacy brand cough gels. Those are definitely DXM only, relatively cheap, and I prefer them way more. Use them all the time. Plus you won't have to swallow that slush :)

^For some reason, the cough gels are ridiculously expensive now. The generic gels are about 30-40% more expensive than the generic WalTussin syrup at Walgreens iirc, and they used to be the same price. People using them to try to prevent tolerance from building up can explain the increase in demand, and therefore, price.