• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

what do you think about straight edge people?

The most straight-edge guy I've met, or the only one that sticks out in my mind, was a Pentecostal youth leader who was still a virgin above 20. The priest at the church where he worked used to say "That boy has a heart of gold and really loves Jesus" and he was just about the most beautiful man I've seen. It was alomst enough to convert me. Apart from that, all the cool guys seem to be, well, the opposite of that.

I could write a 15 paragraph essay on this, but I'll try to keep it short.

Basically the whole attitude of the straight edge people are what pisses me off. I don't mind straight edgers as long as they don't mind me. I don't ask them what they do with all their spare time (Jerkoff, Buy fast cars, lift wieghts, whatever it be) and they need not know what I do. Basically as long as they don't say shit to me about what I do then I don't have a problem with it.

I've never been straight edge and will never be. Drugs have played a huge part in my family for generations and I wouldn't give up all the good times I've had for the world. Straight edgers have no idea what they are missing and just talk shit because they believe all the stigma's and what they are told in dare class. I had a straight edge friend that tried ecstasy and he ended up going ape shit and now is burnt out from hundreds of tabs of acid, a ton of e pills, more pot than bob marley smoked, and more than his fair share of RC's. Funny how that went...

Basically I'll say this:

I don't mind hanging out with straight edge people as long as they don't care what I do. I've had quite a few good straight edge friends and they've been fine. Just don't tell me what to do, and don't bust my balls about it. I realize more often it's the alcoholics that bust my balls more so than the straight edgers since the alco's seem to tell me that they aren't as bad since their drug is legal (even though they drink 7 days/week)

A little clarification might be good in this thread. Straight edge doesn't just mean anyone who abstains from drug use, it is a specific subculture of hardcore punk. Regular people who abstain from drugs are not straight edge, they are just sober. Straight edge is a culture in and of itself, based around the idea that none of the members of the culture use drugs, but also around the hardcore punk scene.

If you want to observe some straight edgers in their natural habitat, go to a punk show and you'll probably see them standing around with Xs on their hands being total asshats to anyone smoking or drinking. The entire straight edge culture is built upon being judgmental.

I've already mentioned this and so have others. Not all are asshats however and its pretty funny how so many of you don't want them to judge you for using drugs but you choose to judge them for remaining sober. I mean yeah some straight edge people are douchebags but the same goes for drug addicts. I don't see how you can generalize one subculture because then I guess it is okay for people to generalize us.

I have known some straight edge folk. What do I think? I don't really care-good for them, I guess. As long as they don't get annoying (preachy). That applies to anyone with far left or far right beliefs about anything.

It's not for me, I know that. ;)

I have alot of respect for people who used to take drugs and are (willing and) able to abstain from using any. Without judging or looking down on others.

This is so very much true, and I feel the same way.

It's so cool to meet someone who's just very chill, someone who has had a problem with drugs, admits to it, abstains from drugs, and at the same time understands that not everyone has a problem.

I have a friend right now whose girlfriend had a problem with heroin; she quit cold-turkey a number of years ago, and even knowing that we use, she doesn't preach to us about it and she simply leaves it at, "well, if you ever need someone to talk to for support when you're kicking, you can call me anytime."

It's really cool, and we make sure not to use in front of her, glorify drug use, or even mention anything about it in front of her. It's a respect thing.

^That's definitely the best attitude one can have. I can understand people who stay away for fear of relapse too though, but I always think "I'm surely gonna come across drugs again, so my own resistance and willpower is all that really matters." And yes, I have learned to use in moderation. Had to learn hard way with plenty of relapses, but eventually I got it under control. :)

You should reconsider ignoring people who have known you this long. They really just want the best for you. This doesn't sound like anyone is "straight edge" just concerned that (as you yourself say) your drug use is for pain and anxiety, but at the same time "bad", so I infer kand you know it is true) that your drug use has far surpassed any medically acceptable or beneficial point and is abuse. As addicts, it is suprising what our mind and body convince us of.
Sorry to bring you down and derail the thread, but I'll wrap it up nicely.

Hipocrisy?

This has nothing to do with sraight edge people or the hardcore lifestyle, and you are a bigger hipocrite than any edger I have met.

Point taken about going off-topic. Sorry I'm doing it again. But I am just not a hypocrite, I'll explain why below.. Also why are "edgers" automatically hypocrites to you? Or if that's not what you meant by it, what are your reasons for using straight edge people as some sort of "scale" of hypocrisy? You're generalizing, which is a fucked up way of thinking imo.

You quoted those lines out of context because all they were meant for was helping people here understand what kind of a drug-user he is. Did I ever say him taking those drugs was 'wrong'? This is bluelight, and I'd have thought you would have realised I'm not condemning him for using drugs. Hell, I like taking drugs recreationally too. Otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum. Saying I'd like to see him quit using drugs, obviously means I don't think he could. I don't get on his case though because THEN I'd feel like a real hypocrite. Support and advice is all I can offer if a person realises he has a drug-problem. I think all my friends know I'm not the judging type, and know I will help when it's needed, and wanted. (The person must want it or you'll just come off as a nag and push the person away, and if someone doesn't want to see or admit a drug-problem, not much can be done that actually helps.)

Basically I'm angry because he will often act like a total jerk when saying something about med use. He always speaks about it to someone else, while making damn sure I hear what he's saying. He also does so in a degrading, and rude manner. I mean, my friends know I need meds, but I am really the only one in our group. Whenever he is bashing on med use once again, I know he's doing so only because I'm there to hear it. Talking about it in such a degrading manner causes (most of my) friends that only smoke pot to think I have serious med-problems. Which I can honestly say I don't anymore. I make sure I don't ever need more than my maintenance dose (which is 10mg diazepam), and I began using my painkillers only when I'm really in a lot of pain. It's no longer a problem.. A few months ago when I was eating boxes of benzos, that's when I had a big fucking problem.

OT: Sorry I thought straight-edge was just a name for people who simply don't use drugs of any type (anymore).

There is actually a gangland episode on the straight edge culture haha. Yea they are considered a gang. They just beat the fuck out of people and when fights go down if one straight edger is involved all of them are...so the situations end up pretty fucked-a group of several people beating one guy while he is down.

O and straight edge people do not drink alcohol either for those who did not know. There was a story on gangland where at a punk show a bunch of them hopped behind the bar and just smashed all of the liquor on the ground...unreasonable, self rightious douchiness.

They are pretty much the definition of a douchebag haha.

I've already mentioned this and so have others. Not all are asshats however and its pretty funny how so many of you don't want them to judge you for using drugs but you choose to judge them for remaining sober. I mean yeah some straight edge people are douchebags but the same goes for drug addicts. I don't see how you can generalize one subculture because then I guess it is okay for people to generalize us.

I'm not bothered by them judging me, judgement is natural. I'm bothered by them hassling me and others and harming the scene. I'm sure there are straight edgers out there who aren't assholes, but all the ones I've met are intrusive, disrespectful dicks. And I've been to hundreds of shows and met hundreds of straight edgers.

My problem isn't with them thinking bad things about me. It's when I or my friends get jumped by gangs because we choose to enjoy ourselves in a different way. When people snatch a cigarette out of my mouth and throw it on the ground, or come up to me, interrupting what I was doing, to argue with me about smoking or drinking or whatever. Straight edgers don't bother me as long as they don't mess with me, but I've never been to a show that had a group of straight edgers where I or others didn't end up getting fucked with in some way.

Their lifestyle is based on not using drugs, which strikes me as an asinine way to self define. Beyond that, their lifestyle is based on thinking they are superior to others. So sure, I'm sure there's some decent straight edgers out there. But the vast majority that I've ever seen are complete assholes.

I've also known lots of punks who abstained from drugs and were not straight edgers, because they felt the same way about the straight edge scene as I do. Most straight edgers I've seen operate exactly like low level gang bangers except they tend to be middle class white kids who can't fight very well.

All of the straight edgers as a gang kind of reminds of that scene in SLC Punk where they got their asses beat by the neo-Nazi/skinheads/edgers/etc, haha.

^ Ha! I was just thinking about that movie the other day.

^http://mitchclem.com/nothingnice/153/

Such a bad movie. I had trouble watching further then the acid scenes, but I did, and it just kept getting worse.

Eh, it was cool when I was 15. Back when there were these things called "video stores" and the only movies to pick from were in these "video stores". So, after the millionth time renting Clueless and shit, SLC Punk was refreshing, but ... I'm not trying to debate the merits of SLC Punk as a film or as an accurate reflection of the punk-rock subculture in Salt Lake City, Utah back in the mid-90s.

I liked Matthew Lillard as an actor in that movie, though. His death scene in Scream was awesome.

You know what movie fucking sucked ass though?

subUrbia. *gag*

Eh, it was cool when I was 15. Back when there were these things called "video stores" and the only movies to pick from were in these "video stores". So, after the millionth time renting Clueless and shit, SLC Punk was refreshing, but ... I'm not trying to debate the merits of SLC Punk as a film or as an accurate reflection of the punk-rock subculture in Salt Lake City, Utah back in the mid-90s.

LOL the younger ones won't understand any of this, but yes to everything you just said haha

Lol suburbia. When that kid gets hit by the car, I fuckin lol'd.

I agree, the only people who didn't like, or admit to liking, even a little bit, SLC Punk are self-righteous twats.

OP, what documentary were you watching on the straight edge scene?

Eh, when I was 15 (which was probably when I saw the movie too) I was into dropping acid and crust punk, so SLC Punk didn't appeal to me, especially its end message. Each to his own I guess, you're a self righteous twat for calling me a self righteous twat for not liking SLC Punk though. =D

Never heard of Suburbia. I also haven't seen SLC Punk except for that one time when I was 15, maybe I'd enjoy it more now, but I doubt it.

Eh, when I was 15 (which was probably when I saw the movie too) I was into dropping acid and crust punk, so SLC Punk didn't appeal to me, especially its end message. Each to his own I guess, you're a self righteous twat for calling me a self righteous twat for not liking SLC Punk though. =D

Never heard of Suburbia. I also haven't seen SLC Punk except for that one time when I was 15, maybe I'd enjoy it more now, but I doubt it.

subUrbia...the worst movie you'll ever see. You'll be like, "OMG SLC Punk was the Citizen Kane of bored ass teenager subculture movies!" after you sit through that.