• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Social what computer do you have?

I have a bunch of computers that range from kit build 8 bit to modern desktop computers with a few mini's. I also rescued many other types when they were decommissioned when I was still working. These include couple DEC 11 series (11-23 and 11-77) and three Sun Sparc stations.
All of them work, I have extensive experience in both hardware and software. The OS are specific to the hardware. I started using Unix back in the 80's, same with RSX11 and VMS and in the 90's Solaris.

My daily driver and current Dev platform is a i9-13900K 64GB DDR5 and a water cooled RTX4090.

Two ThinkPads left.
One i7 and one i5. Both 8gb ram, 128gb system drives and 600gb storage drives all solid state.
Gave me desktop to my friend cause someone sabotaged hers and it hasn't worked in years.
Also I have a brain that is faster than all of em. :)

These include couple DEC 11 series (11-23 and 11-77) and three Sun Sparc stations.

nice throwback. what do you use the sparc stations for?

do you work in tech. or do you just geek out? :)

can you help those reading this thread understand what this drivel means?
  • "business has a 8.1 enterprise updated on a shoulder of NAS for my cloth website"
  • "so interpreting the skating in one bubble"
  • "Ezio 24inch which is a plate is rotating fuck this"
alasdair

I attained them when they were retired from a Kodak DICOM installation back in the early 200's
nice throwback. what do you use the sparc stations for?
I attained them when they were retired from a Kodak DICOM (Medical Imaging storage and retrieval) installation back in the early 2000's. I use them as a domain backbone.
do you work in tech. or do you just geek out? :)
I am am officially retired now, but was in R&D for a very large Medical Imaging manufacturer as well as an ex USAF programmer , so ex-tech. I still do software work on a contract basis only now.

I also do a fair amount of Model Railroading electronics and digital control stuff just for nerdy fun.
can you help those reading this thread understand what this drivel means?
  • "business has a 8.1 enterprise updated on a shoulder of NAS for my cloth website"
  • "so interpreting the skating in one bubble"
  • "Ezio 24inch which is a plate is rotating fuck this"
alasdair
Sorry. I am not the Oracle of Delphi <3

I attained them when they were retired from a Kodak DICOM installation back in the early 200's

I attained them when they were retired from a Kodak DICOM (Medical Imaging storage and retrieval) installation back in the early 2000's. I use them as a domain backbone.

I am am officially retired now, but was in R&D for a very large Medical Imaging manufacturer as well as an ex USAF programmer , so ex-tech. I still do software work on a contract basis only now.

I also do a fair amount of Model Railroading electronics and digital control stuff just for nerdy fun.

Sorry. I am not the Oracle of Delphi <3
Do you do your own hosting and networking stuff at home?

Absolutely ...

It's totally unnecessary, yet sadly I do. :geek:
Same here, I built my network and server from the ground up with mostly used parts off eBay. It can be a lot of work to manage services but I think its worth it, I've learned a ton and I get to keep ownership of my data. Unnecessary but worth it in my eyes 😄

And for millions that windows runs the millions of $$$ that Microsoft makes on your personal data and gives backdoors to the NSA and FBI
I said it and guessed right. If you use an linux machine connected to a windows server with one port open, which OS do you really use if a firewall and VPN are BSD?

Well thankfully I don't run windows server either and I avoid using commercial products for handling and storage of my data

Even the Insiders Preview "Canary" Channel ( 1st wave beta and extremely unstable ) is currently sitting at Win 11 - 23H2 Build 25947.1000 -23901 - 1416...
Maybe a typo ? :unsure:
I’m on the insiders preview but not the canary channel as I want to actually use the laptop lol.

If yall want to host a server for any financial gain, or even to play LAN that'd be 8.1

it has a monobyte kernel size therefore no time to get into Safe Mode also know as F8 key = Steroids. Fastest os ever made hands down