• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What causes the opiate nodding?

cdigital

Bluelighter
From a pharmacology/science-y standpoint, what happens in the brain to cause high doses of opiates to create nodding?

From a pharmacology/science-y standpoint, what happens in the brain to cause high doses of opiates to create nodding?

Common Opiates hit the so-called "Mu-Opioid Receptor" which results in both euphoria and a decrease in the activity of your Central Nervous System, i.e. a pleasant "nod".

Was that specific enough?

Common Opiates hit the so-called "Mu-Opioid Receptor" which results in both euphoria and a decrease in the activity of your Central Nervous System, i.e. a pleasant "nod".

Was that specific enough?

Nice man, thanks. So the nod is because your brain is shutting down o_O

Well riddle me this blue light how come a small percentage of people(such as myself) have a paradoxical effect from opiates and they get us speeding. Does anyone know the science behind this? Oh and it's not just the ones produced from thebaine,heroin and methadone have the same effect on me. I don't nod I become manic and have stayed up for days when I was in active opiate/opioid addiction
I've read that people suffering from bipolar disorder that opiates might have this affect on them and for years my wife has been honestly telling me she believes I'm bipolar!

Last edited:
Well riddle me this blue light how come a small percentage of people(such as myself) have a paradoxical effect from opiates and they get us speeding. Does anyone know the science behind this? Oh and it's not just the ones produced from thebaine,heroin and methadone have the same effect on me. I don't nod I become manic and have stayed up for days when I was in active opiate/opioid addiction
I've read that people suffering from bipolar disorder that opiates might have this affect on them and for years my wife has been honestly telling me she believes I'm bipolar!

I read a story once: 5 ppl get vicodin from their dentist. 4 puke and fall asleep, 1 cleans the house :D