• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

I can't read anything but terrible books about serial killers right now.

Lately I've read three books about mothers who killed their own children. Which seems sick. Because I adore my daughter - although I don't see her much. Maybe I am trying to make myself feel better by comparing myself to truly shitty selfish mothers ...

@MrsGamp .. get lost in the solutions and not drown in the problems <3

The Summer That Melted Everything by Tiffany McDaniel. God Damn she can write.

Day of the Locust by West.. temporarily or probably permanently jettison as writing about such boredom should be illegal.

After reading a thread on here somewhere this past week (can't remember the name) I downloaded
"10 Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now" by Jaron Lanier. Interesting as hell learning the ways social media companies and others manipulate the internet and what not. Definitely worth looking at.

Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. Amazing.. the description of hell actually scared me for a min.

Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. Amazing.. the description of hell actually scared me for a min.

Wow, that is an amazing work. Finishing it soon. blown away.

Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism by Dr. Robert Jay Lifton A Study of "brainwashing" in China is sitting in paperback on deck. Going to load up a Hemingway and a Faulkner to round this week off. Probably Islands in the Stream and The Reivers.

I used to be an avid reader. I'd stay up into the wee hours of the night to finish off a book and gladly suffer being tired as long as I could finish the chapter or book. I studied English literature in university solely out of love, knowing full well I didn't want to be a teacher and that there weren't a ton of other opportunities out there in the field (and there weren't though the degree has been useful in other ways). I could focus on the words so intently that the world stopped existing around me. After getting hooked on cocaine shortly after university, I found I lost the ability to keep my eyes on the page. I'd read, then re-read, then re-read a paragraph and then realize I'd retained virtually nothing. I average one book every two years now.

Audiobooks do not appeal to me. I don't care for podcasts either. Not for lack of effort on either, they just really don't jive with me. I'd rather have music in my ears than words.

I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to repair the damage and I don't even know if it's possible. It's sad. I can focus on a screen but I hate reading books on the computer/tablet/phone. I have no idea if this will come back to me when I clean up completely but I doubt it because even in the times where I took longer breaks, I still couldn't do it. I can focus on plenty of other things and do still read the news but gone are the days where I'd see a 10 book series and get excited. My books are decorations and supports to balance out furniture on my uneven floors.

What a waste.

I really enjoyed The Reivers and also Islands in the Stream. Into a reread of Tropic of Capricorn and abut it again too.

My old journals, trying to remember how I coped with life before drugs (seriously)! I've been keeping a diary since 1984, so I usually dig a few out whenever I can't sleep.

So I went, in last week, rereads of 1984, Animal Farm and A Brave New World. Pretty striking how different my experience of these works was now compared to then. A couple of added decades in the saddle eroded the fiction off these well.

Crime and Punishment is in the barrel right now. Another reread.

On a reading and studying break but been glancing through pages of Malcolm Lowry's Under The Volcano.

Bukowski's final novel, "Pulp". I don't like it much at all. It isn't told from his traditional perspective of Henry Chinaski. Its full of thinly veiled metaphors and is unenjoyable to read.

Also currently reading "Cherry" -- a contemporary novel of iraq war very who comes back and gets addicted narcotics and starts engaging in petty bank robbery (its a true story). Started ok but it devolved into a story line of boring drug buys and details of drug abuse.

I completed A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor, now on to Haunted House by Pierre Reverdy.