• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

"The Kraken Project" by Douglas Preston. It's about AI going awry. So far, it's excellent, but I wouldn't expect anything else from this author. If you enjoyed Ex Machina, you'll probably really enjoy it.

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon and the Neuromancer by William Gibson just started both.

Gravities Rainbow had some great writing and was an amazing quilt of characters, dopers, physics calculous, rockets, erections and history. I found the namyness, for character, institution and places tedious and confusing amid the hyper blended delivery.

A fifth into Neuromancer and loving it. Fire science fiction so far.

Journey to the End of the Night
220px-Journey_to_the_End_of_the_Night_cover.jpg

I finished Brave new World last month, really interested me. Now im reading this book about a girl who solo hiked the PCT (a 3 month long trail) called Wild which is very different from BNW but a good read nonetheless. Anyone else ever read either of these?

Zeno's Conscience starting tomorrow. About Journey to the End of the Night. The writing was good enough to make me despise the main character in the end. No balled thing that flowed through your fingers like lukewarm bathwater and you wanted him to. I might have missed it..

Zorba the Greek tomorrow. Zeno's was enjoyable and I especially enjoyed the interplay of love, life and thought presented over the journey of his life. His cigarette addiction was quite familiar.

Mythos by Stephen Fry. A retelling of Ancient Greek myths. Just finished a similar one about Viking mths by Neil Gaiman. Both very humorous but also made me feel I was getting educated.

I just finished Here I Was, Wasnt I? by Metzner, whos a psychologist, and the book is about how to deal with change in life and it used hindu gods for explaining that.

Now I'm reading Truman Capote's complete stories

and Psycho Cybernetics a book by Max something, its about how he talk to ourselves and how we dont distinguish an imagined feeling (pain l, pleasure) from a real one, so its like, the science of controlling the mind through proper self talk

Im enjoying them! I read them in the pool or laying under the sun, passes the time

I used to be such a big reader and identified as such and held this part of me in high esteem. It was easy then because TV sucked and you had to wait for stuff to be on. Now there are so many great shows that I’ve kind of fallen into that void.
what shows are you watching? I liked Better Call Saul a lot. now im watching Shameless

much appreciated, Karamazov. only thing i’ve read by carver is “Cathedral.” been meaning to change that and now have a place to start.

great thread, jackie jones. thanks for kicking it off.

Read Carver!! Cathedral is good, but What I Talk about When I talk About Love is amazing! (its also been reprinted under the title Begginers, and it has the stories without them being so edited.)

Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious by Carl Jung

A very interesting view of the world we live in.

Richard Laymon was my favourite author as a teen. Shortly after discovering him when I was 14 I stayed off school "sick" by telling everybody I had the flu for a week because I couln't bear to stop reading his books. I read 13 of his novels that week.
I have brain damage now and the ONE positive is that I am starting to completely forget almost 100% of some of my favourite books, so I have started reading his again (the one's I have no memory of). Just finished Midnight's Lair (loved it) and am now in the middle of Amongst the Missing.

Managed to get my hands on Laymon's Once Upon a Halloween (for free!) been wanting to read it for 11 years but it's mostly only available for literally hundreds of £/$ even on places like Amazon and Ebay. I did come across it for £85 ($110) once but I was a broke addict living in a homeless hostel...so yeah, wasn't realistic.
Also managed to get In Laymons Terms :D

Obsessed with Matt Shaw right now, too (English extreme horror writer; he mostly writes novella's and all his stuff it free on Kindle Unlimited).

"The Glass Bead Game" by Herman Hesse

I am coming back to Hesse after 20 years (have read all of his books in my teens) and I am enjoying him very much. He had a great gift for synthesis of multiple disciplines, such as music, philosophy, psychology, art, politics...and creating very colourful yet deep enviroment that can enable readers to enjoy profound ideas and point of views, without necessarily having training in any of those fields.

Few days ago I finished reading "Steppenwolf" and it is another great book in which he plays with nihilism, hedonism, asceticism, religion, every day life and internal struggle all those competing forces bring into human psyche.

I would highly recommend him. And so would Stockholm and the Nobel comity :giggle:

"The Glass Bead Game" by Herman Hesse

I am coming back to Hesse after 20 years (have read all of his books in my teens) and I am enjoying him very much. He had a great gift for synthesis of multiple disciplines, such as music, philosophy, psychology, art, politics...and creating very colourful yet deep enviroment that can enable readers to enjoy profound ideas and point of views, without necessarily having training in any of those fields.

Few days ago I finished reading "Steppenwolf" and it is another great book in which he plays with nihilism, hedonism, asceticism, religion, every day life and internal struggle all those competing forces bring into human psyche.

I would highly recommend him. And so would Stockholm and the Nobel comity :giggle:

That brings back memories. I remember reading Steppenwolf in last year of high school and then being so hooked I had to read every one of his books in English before I could even think about another author.

Some books should be mandatory to read before turning 18. Like vaccines against ideology. Steppenwolf would be one of them. I would also propose 1984. and Animal Farm by Orwell, We by Zamyatin, Brave New World and Island by Huxley, The Art of Loving by Fromm, The Prophet by Gibran...I see that I could go on, but only this few books would be enough to give a young and developing mind a perspective about the world he is growing into. :)

Edit due to spelling errors.

I'm currently reading Game of Spies: The Secret Agent, the Traitor and the Nazi, Bordeaux 1942-1944 by Paddy Ashdown. It is all based on a true story, historical documents and accounts etc and speaks to resistance movements, the Gestapo, British and French spy networks all operating in the Bordeaux region of France in the latter half of WWII. I'm about halfway through and it's a pretty good read so far. I understood the resistance in France to be much more unified and coordinated, but in actuality it was a mishmash of different groups, with some overlap and a lot of internal politics and differences in approach and ideology. The book sort of treads the line between fiction and non-fiction and I think it does so in an entertaining and informative way. Might be worth a read if you're into history at all.

30107258._UY763_SS763_.jpg

Last edited: