• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

I used to be such a big reader and identified as such and held this part of me in high esteem. It was easy then because TV sucked and you had to wait for stuff to be on. Now there are so many great shows that I’ve kind of fallen into that void.

yes, going to read the five short stories. (finished)

if you start reading regularly again i bet you’ll easily fall back into it. reading is like a form of meditation and leaves you feeling better than tv or even a good movie. i went through a hiatus not long ago. for years. waste.

haven’t read The Great Gatsby. haven’t heard good things about it.

that’s good about work, cduggles. need to get some of that.

Last edited:
We Were the Mulvaneys is terrible and lacking oates’ usual grit. therefore is taking me too long to read.

yesterday my one of my brothers asked me if i’d seen My Brilliant Friend and recommended i watch it. at first i had no idea what he was talking about. oh lila!

Bright Lights, Big City - jay McInerney
Greasy Lake and other stories - tc Boyle.
and my favorite, Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? - ray carver

Wow. I began this thread almost ten years ago. Before my children were born, in the salad days of my marriage.

It makes me a bit sick now. My description of what once was. I am thankful for it though.

I am currently reading an Amy Winehouse biography.

much appreciated, Karamazov. only thing i’ve read by carver is “Cathedral.” been meaning to change that and now have a place to start.

great thread, jackie jones. thanks for kicking it off.

I am currently doing a slow read of Faulkner’s The Hamlet. 3-10 pages a day. It’s pretty dense in parts but just stunning as well.

"The Demon in the Freezer" by Richard Preston. It's a fascinating, non-fiction account of the eradication of Smallpox. Highly recommended if you enjoy epidemiology and microbiology. It is the same author as "The Hot Zone" and "The Cobra Event". All three are excellent reads!

Richard Laymon was my favourite author as a teen. Shortly after discovering him when I was 14 I stayed off school "sick" by telling everybody I had the flu for a week because I couln't bear to stop reading his books. I read 13 of his novels that week.
I have brain damage now and the ONE positive is that I am starting to completely forget almost 100% of some of my favourite books, so I have started reading his again (the one's I have no memory of). Just finished Midnight's Lair (loved it) and am now in the middle of Amongst the Missing.

A song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin
I finished all 5 books that are out to date in 1 month. Most epic book series i have ever read.
you don't even have to like fantasy to enjoy them.

True. I am not absolutely not into fantasy at all, but I love ASOIAF. Been waiting like 8 years for book six.

We Were the Mulvaneys is terrible and lacking oates’ usual grit. therefore is taking me too long to read.

yesterday my one of my brothers asked me if i’d seen My Brilliant Friend and recommended i watch it. at first i had no idea what he was talking about. oh lila!

This book tripped me the Fuck out because I have four siblings (3 brothers + 1 sister, I am the oldest), and if you just switch the two older brothers' personalities, everyone matches like it was the story of us the last time around (parents were close, but not as eerie as the siblings). My youngest brother just graduated high school and my pleas for him to become a journalist carried no weight. So one of my brothers is missing entirely from this story, which is fine, because he is the least likely to read it or care anyways. But that is also creepy because I've had several dreams where we are dealing with his unexpected death, or even he had passed a long time ago.

I'm currently reading Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton, my favorite author (Jurassic Park, Congo, Sphere, Timeline, etc.). It is a book released after his death, and I for one am so happy to be able to enjoy another one of his works.

Drugged by Richard J. Miller, The Ketamine Papers by Phil Wolfson, and The Master and His Emissary by Iain Mcgilchrist. Then listening to the audio book of Sacred Knowledge by William A. Richards. The Master and Drugged are kinda slogs in some parts, so I'm reading those until my brain hurts then reading the more recreational two.

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon and the Neuromancer by William Gibson just started both.